Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regulation of Martial Arts Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    How would we pay for that?
    I think some of you are misunderstanding me. I am not for this, just a hypothetical of would it be good or bad and would it work. Paying for it would have to be figured out, probably with dues to the organization just like anything else, but again, this is all hypothetical.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Back home in Atlanta, GA, USA, after living in Singapore
    I agree that for most of TMA it's not a good idea. But also..."proof of lineage"? You know most lineages get blurry the further back you go unfortunately.
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

http://www.pathsatlanta.org

the chinese government should allow bareknuckle lei tai. then kung fu will regulate itself.

jingwu and wushu was wrong. it regulated forms. it regulated poses. chinese martial arts need to regulate and standarize fighting ability
    Last edited by bawang; 03-04-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the chinese government should allow bareknuckle lei tai. then kung fu will regulate itself.

jingwu and wushu was wrong. it regulated forms. it regulated poses. chinese martial arts need to regulate and standarize fighting ability
    I like your thinking.

ginosifu

To allow Government to have control over rules and regulations is not a good idea. However, I think think we could benefit from a Kung Fu entity that would regulate tournaments / schools / backround checks etc etc.

Looking how we politely argue over everything here, how can kung fu in America ever get regulated? We are the peeps that would be under it's regulation right? We can't even agree do disagree about even the most simple topics here on the forums.

If there would ever be a governing body for CMA it should be us. Who would be interested being part of a Kung Fu organization? They have tried over the years to create Kung Fu organizations, but none have ever really emerged with any coherency. How can we pool together something that our elders could not do for the past 40 years?

ginosifu

anyone thinking about lumping all martial arts into the same category and trying to form a set of regulations that can be applied to all schools knows absolutely nothing about martial arts.....

with that said, who would listen to someone like that?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    I agree that for most of TMA it's not a good idea. But also..."proof of lineage"? You know most lineages get blurry the further back you go unfortunately.
    "Blurry"? How about non-existent? Try to seriously document any style (Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Okinawan) before 1850. "Traditional" Chinese Martial Arts go back maybe about 150 years. Before that it is mostly the stories of illiterate, self-promoting men. Today, TCMA is mostly in the hands of self-promoting men.

I wouldn't care to be a part of their politics. Been there, done that, learned from it!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Imagine if the federal government instituted a commision to oversee martial arts schools and gyms to insure they were teaching correctly.
    They already do
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    "Blurry"? How about non-existent? Try to seriously document any style (Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Okinawan) before 1850. "Traditional" Chinese Martial Arts go back maybe about 150 years. Before that it is mostly the stories of illiterate, self-promoting men. Today, TCMA is mostly in the hands of self-promoting men.

I wouldn't care to be a part of their politics. Been there, done that, learned from it!
    reliable traditional pole weapons go back 1000 years; reliable long range boxing records go back over 500 years; reliable short range boxing go back 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    anyone thinking about lumping all martial arts into the same category and trying to form a set of regulations that can be applied to all schools knows absolutely nothing about martial arts.....

with that said, who would listen to someone like that?
    northern martial arts are very uniform. its literally the same sh1t over and over again.

southern kung fu looks diverse but when they fight its all the same. thats vain and meaningless.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.

reliable traditional pole weapons go back 1000 years; reliable long range boxing records go back over 500 years; reliable short range boxing go back 300 years.
    "boxing" and verifiable historically-accurate lineage trees are two very different things.

northern martial arts are very uniform. its literally the same sh1t over and over again.

southern kung fu looks diverse but when they fight its all the same. thats vain and meaningless.
    Wrong
    Yes, "Northwind" is my internet alias used for years that has lots to do with my main style, as well as other lil cool things - it just works. Wanna know my name? Ask me

ur moms wrong

She sure is, but happily yours is sexy yum yum

yeah lineage cant be traced, but postures , concepts and techniques can in northern boxing. thats all that matters.

new lineages today are a problem because they have a tendency to make sh1t up. where in the past it was from faction politics.

in the past legitimacy and fame was decided by fighting. in today its by advertising. chinese martial arts need to regulate and purge itself
    Last edited by bawang; 03-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.

yeah lineage cant be traced, but postures , concepts and techniques can in northern boxing.
    Agreed!

new lineages today are a problem because they have a tendency to make sh1t up. where in the past it was from faction politics.
    If martial arts history tells us anything, it is that EVERYONE has had a tendency to make sh1t up. Yet, that is not a bad thing. Stagnancy causes death. New ideas promote growth and longevity.

in the past legitimacy and fame was decided by fighting. in today its by advertising. chinese martial arts need to regulate and purge itself
    So, should we bring back death matches?
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    So, should we bring back death matches?
    I am all for Death Matches on a Lei Tai ! My first match I will challenge Bawang.

ginosifu