Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ng Long Bat Gwa Gwun 五郎八卦棍

Ng Long Bat Gwa Gwun 五郎八卦棍

The link below is the Choy Lay Fut version of the staff form 5th brother 8 triagram staff.

Whether or not this was absorbed into our curriculum from the hung ga version or modified from the the form "yang family spear" which I have seen from other choy lay fut practitioners, i do not know.

I just thought this would be interesting to post here because ng long bat gwa gwun is fairly typical in terms of southern staff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalkMY0WpS8

comments welcome
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Your form looks hella clean brother.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Hey,

first of all indeed nicely played,really like it.
    It looks very identical to our 8 diagram set,so its not just the same name..
    just the left handed 6.5 points part is missing..it was added by Lam Sai Wing so maybe someone in CLF has learned it before Lam Sai Wings time and just kept it in his curriculum ?
    Anyway very nice set

here the hung kuen version,from 1949

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gwo5lpQJbM

Nioce...great snap.

You be a strong boy and it shows.
    By Peace or by Pieces.

You are a human being, not a human doing.
    J Bradshaw.

Out beyond the ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    Rumi

thanks for the compliments guys

laukarbo- What is the 6.5 section and what is the purpose behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    thanks for the compliments guys

laukarbo- What is the 6.5 section and what is the purpose behind it?
    left handed 6 and a half points..similar to wing chuns only that this section is practiced with the left hand leading the pole...Lam Sai Wing learned this from his uncle who was involved with the red boat opera troups,later he added this to the 8 diagram pole set which he had from Wong Fei Hung...the purpose are principles for each point,those principles actually can be found already throughout the whole set so I think thats why they made it left handed..to train both sides..altogether they should be 14 principles or keywords(in hung kuen)
    hyun 圈 rool/circle, dim 點point, cheung 搶thrust, got 割 chop, chau 抽pull, kam 冚, tiu 挑carry, but 撥 block, taan 彈 spring, jai 掣 subdue, biu 標thrust, ngaat 壓 press, haau 敲beat, gik 擊 strike

thanks for the info. i have noticed the similarities between the 6.5 pole of ving tsun and ng long bat gwa gwun. interesting to find out hung ga merged them.

this is the "yang family spear" that I mentioned in the initial post for comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ch8g4FqJl8

Man, why is it when I really want to check something out on Youtube my work PC just goes on the blink??!!

Sounds like a very interesting thread, and as I'm a Wing Chun practitioner with a unique pole form from Lee Shing, I will have to check the clips out at home!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I have heard of this set in CLF as staff or spear. My sifu knew ng long baat gwa cheurng. You can see in the spear video that the form is very staff like as are most CLF and/or southern spear sets. If it was a traditional Yang spear it probably would have been done left handed as traditionally spear is played with the left hand leading.

In any case all the sets were nice and you can definately see some of the WC stuff in the first pole set with all the small circle techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Man, why is it when I really want to check something out on Youtube my work PC just goes on the blink??!!
    Just see the clip and it was worth the wait. A few things are common to my pole form, but not too much. Definitely lighter with the feet far longer than the Wing Chun pole I know, although we do have some great lil steps! Looks like a 'tiger' rattan stick? My favourite!

I especially liked the Kwan Tak Hing clip too! Proper old skool.

It may be of interest to some that whilst I was learning the pole at the Jun Mo Gwoon my Sifu often referred to certain practices as 'Yum Yeurng Ng Han Baat Gwa Gwun'. We also 'translated' the form name differently, 6.5 (6 and a half) to 6 point and half pole as we also have a distinctive half pole (quarter staff) set and 6 distinct 'points' of attack.

Thanks for sharing, and I will see if I can do a clip of me in my back yard if anyone is interested?
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 03-08-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I met William Cheung, and I mentioned I played Hung-Ga, and that the techniques of the Hung-Ga Ng Long Bot Gwa Gwun were similar to the Luk Dim Bun Gwun, he completely agreed, saying that they had the same source.
    If memory serves, in Wing Chun "lore", Jee Siem Sum-Si taught the Siu-Lum staff techniques to Leung Yee-Tai on the Red Boats, which brought them into the Wing Chun syllabus.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Knowing the story about the "yang family generals" makes it easy to understand why the staff and spear are interchangeable in this form for most people. There are slight differences in terms of the way certain techniques are executed as to take advantages of the characteristics of each.

Staff and spear are pretty interchangeable in many CLF sets; hence the "cheung/kwun" seen in some of the names. This is why I have always been more of a fan of staff vs. spear sets for southern styles. If one really wants to learn spear northern is more the way to go.

Blog Entries

This is Fut San Hung Sing's 6.5 staff form

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Interesting set has some single head and double head mixed in. Some of the sections resemble the hung gar baat gwa kwun as well. You can see how related all the southern long pole forms are when you look at the various versions.