Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ng Long Bat Gwa Gwun 五郎八卦棍

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    I learned this form first from the Lam Sai Wing lineage then later from the Dang Fong lineage. I was surprised to find the Dang Fong lineage was much longer and seemingly more complete, to which I assumed Dang modified it. After looking around it seems that the Dang Fong version was actually the standard version, with other masters saying that Lam Sai Wing forgot (or possibly just omitted) much of the form, then later filled that gap in with 6.5 Staff.

I have the book on 8 diagram by Dang Fong and it doesnt seem to be much longer then the LSW version,just a little different..also I seen Tedd Lai Sifu playing the 8 diagram..theres just the 6.5 pole section missing but some of the patterns look more complex so I think this is what u think its longer (different stepping etc)...actually before the 6.5 section was added ng long baat gua gwan had 64 movements according to the chinese poems I have about it and also the book by dang fong

LSW learned 3 sets from his uncle who was a red boat man,his uncle didnt practice wing chun btw,just siulam nam kuen.. he learned 6.5 pole, war palm and butterfly knives...

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    Ng Long Baat Gwa Gwun is very sophisticated and would improve many systems of kung fu. But it is still a Hung Ga weapon (though admitted not originally) and shouldnt be re-labeled under a different system. If Hung Ga adopted Sup Ji Kau Da and called it the "Hung Ga version" then they would never hear the end of it from Choi Lei Fut. Respect the source!
    Hypothetically, if Hung Gar did admittedly adopt Sup Ji Kau Da into their curriculum and labeled it the "Hung Gar version," being a CLF practitioner I would not be offended at all but instead I'd be flattered that another fighting method had adopted a sequence that illustrates very specific CLF concepts, strategies, and structures into the Hung Gar curriculum.

I think Shaolindynasty did state that the staff form was absorbed into his lineage's CLF curriculum at some point and did not originate from the CLF method itself, so I don't think any disrepect to any method was intended.

Blog Entries
    Hypothetically, if Hung Gar did admittedly adopt Sup Ji Kau Da into their curriculum and labeled it the "Hung Gar version," being a CLF practitioner I would not be offended at all but instead I'd be flattered that another fighting method had adopted a sequence that illustrates very specific CLF concepts, strategies, and structures into the Hung Gar curriculum.
    Nice!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I dont about other hung gar peeps but Im not offeneded..I find it cool! I think our mui fah kuen fist set actually originates from a CLF set...but I wouldnt swear my life on it. But to be honest if I didnt know that thread starter is a CLF man I would have thought hes hung kuen..just playing another lineage version of 8 diagram.
    All good,I loved his set....

7 star mantis also have an 5th son 8 diagram pole set which looks very different though..

Blog Entries
    You know i used to feel just stick to your style....the old school way. but i thought about what laukarbo said and I agree. I see HARD CLF when i see Hung Gar outside of some moves we don't do. but, i'd do a hung gar form choy lee fut style any day.

sap ji kau da = mui fa kyun of Hung Kyun? can anybody post a video of sap ji kau da so i can have look?
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

can anybody post a video of sap ji kau da so i can have look?
    This is the Sap ji kau da from my lineage, we actually call it Dai kau Da kuen as we have a "small" and "large" version. I don't know about any relation to hung ga's moi fah kuen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblXq...el_video_title
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

very nice set but it doesnt resemble Mui Fah Kuen, interesting to see the kiu sao breathing in a CLF set! Heres a video of our mui fah version maybe any CLF player can recognice this ? Anyway,its only hearsay that this set is from CLF...it was incoperated into the hung system maybe 60-70 years ago ? And its one of the subsets...

mui fah kuen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfXT84v***M

okay,seems like i cant post the link properly..just replace the 3 * with the letters f a g
    Last edited by Laukarbo; 03-14-2011 at 01:09 AM.

hi guys, as far a s i know, some sources say that mui fa kyun is from Choi Ga (not CLF)
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

While there are differences, most kung fu styles have more in common with each other than not. It seems even more so when they are from the same region, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    hi guys, as far a s i know, some sources say that mui fa kyun is from Choi Ga (not CLF)
    so it was good that i didnt bet my life on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Man, that's some long form dude!

Nice movement and power and kinda takes me back to my Shotokan days a little. I loved kata training but handed it all in for Wing Chun, the most 'brief' martial art in the world when it comes to forms I think!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblXq...el_video_title
    Shaolin D, can you remind me where the Hung Gar hands come from in this set? Fut San Hung Sing doesn't use those hands at all. jusy curious did fong yu shu have anything to do with that form?

I also noticed in that form you have the general closing sections to most of our forms. cool.

hskwarrior- I answered your question in the other thread

SD:

You guys have Sheung Karp Dan Tow Kwun (single & double head staff) in your line also, correct?

Peace