Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Videos from the Bagua Historical Swordsmanship Project: Chopping Sabre vs. Butter

It's not even particularly good LARPing. . . Where are your costumes?

What, can't find a cardboard box to fashion yourself some armor?

Bashing each other with sticks while wearing a fencing mask doesn't make anything "historical" or any more realistic than a wushu jian routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

what is it with white people and a lack of shame lol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by gilbride100 View Post
    I should be able to do okay in this bout without any specific Bagua knife training, and I should be able to do so while retaining a Bagua “flavor” to some extent.

You can decide for yourself if I succeeded

Okay..

To conclude: Bagua people shouldn't touch weapons.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

I clicked on this thread and now

MY EYES MY EYES MY EYES!

Let me tell you, that was terrible, hideous, disgusting, stupid and just plain wrong
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

At least you have good taste in music.

Assemblage 23 yes?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    what is it with white people and a lack of shame lol
    no tradition of saving face?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Much superior test of Miao Dao sword vs. Kendo sword

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqjR...eature=related
    - Yagyū Munenori

"Historical" fencing often equates to " I've never actually received formal training in fencing, but I loved watching Ivanhoe as a kid and when I bought this sword, it just comes natural".

Well, no it doesn't.

Get formal training in weapons if you are going to pursue them. There are still quite a lot of really good fencing masters and there are also many Kung fu teachers and of course Japanese martial arts such as Kendo including Iaido etc etc.

Those of us who have invested time get extremely annoyed by those of you who are fecking wankers when it gets down to it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Really... I knew kids like you. Would slap around with these things in the backyard, thinking you were some super warrior.

I will repeat the sentiments posted here. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

And they are butterfly SWORDS, by the way. Americans are the ones who got in the habit of calling them knives. You can even call them bamboo leaf swords if you like.

Oh, and I do have experience in history, combatives, and Chinese MA. Even learned a bit of BJJ and Karate when I was younger.

You can get defensive, throw a fit, and berate everyone here, bud... it doesn't make your video any less godawful. Learn to take criticism.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post

And they are butterfly SWORDS, by the way. Americans are the ones who got in the habit of calling them knives. You can even call them bamboo leaf swords if you like.
    No they aren't. They are butterfly knives wu dip = butterfly dao=knife or in wing chun's case they are called Bhat Jarm dao or 8 cut knives.

The mistake most commonly made in regards to this double weapon is that people also call a balisong a butterfly knife.

wu dip dao and balisongs are two completely different things after all.

anyway, just saying, they are knives and they are not swords and are not known as swords in the systems that include them.

I freakin love wudipdo. I have a couple of sets and I like the set I got from Gene here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't think the problem is that you're experimenting and sharing videos of those experiments, I think it's that you're treating it as some kind of serious academic historical study when you don't have the background to do so. How much time was spent actually trying to seek out expert opinion on these weapons and their usage? I think you need more than a couple years of bagua training, some playing around with one guy who does jianshu, and participating in an obscure club focused on western broadsword.

Taai's home movies again!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    No they aren't. They are butterfly knives wu dip = butterfly dao=knife or in wing chun's case they are called Bhat Jarm dao or 8 cut knives.

The mistake most commonly made in regards to this double weapon is that people also call a balisong a butterfly knife.

wu dip dao and balisongs are two completely different things after all.

anyway, just saying, they are knives and they are not swords and are not known as swords in the systems that include them.

I freakin love wudipdo. I have a couple of sets and I like the set I got from Gene here.
    I'll bet you one prostitute that you are wrong.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"