Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: having two sifus

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Teacher 1: You should always attack, attack, and attack. It's better to lose by attack than to win by defense.
    Teacher 2: If your opponent doesn't move, you don't move. If he moves, you move faster than him.
    yes. In tong bei, you hurry your attack one after another till the opponent is defeated.

in ba ji, you do not move lightly, when the opponent comes and presents an opening, you go at the same time and deliver a single fatal or decisive blow/strike/throw.

both are correct.

the former did not care if the first attack fails (expected to be countered), but keep going till you land your attack after several tries.

the later did not waste your move or energy lightly. observation first, the opponent comes, you move away and counterattack at the same time. you are doing your attack, I am doing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    spj, you post the most random vids...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1MfblDF9EY

yes, there are many fine things in life, food, wine, music-- I like nature and close to nature, the closest thing for me would be swimming or in close contact with water--

if we only think about fighting all the time, we lose sight of something bigger--

the general of 57 division or running tiger division, hu beng.

the highest honor to award chinese army.

he had only 8000 men and was surrounded by 30,000 japanese elites.

he was in the eye of the storm, there were many more chinese forces in the whole area.

it was chang de campaign. it was the turning point, just like stanlingrad,

CKS was talking with winston churchill and president roosevelt in cairo

amid all these

he enjoyed the little tune or xiao diao from a local folk tune

not to be disturbed

he then went on to inspect his defense line and soldiers in the trenches of the front line facing the enemy

while he had all these fighting thoughts with him, he still could find time and relax to enjoy a fine music.

jade running tiger was a protective charm from his wife, he had nothing valueable with him, so he offered it to an officer that was about to get marry.

yes, he gave away his next best thing, he was ready to die for his country, too.

he was preparing himself first and then prepared his men.

---

general zhang ling fu of 74 division, he enjoyed chinese opera of mu gui ying, a grandma general that led song army to quench a rebellion--

while he was listening to the opera, he prepared all the battle plans.

--

for me, I watch fishes swimming in the pond and clouds in the sky

---

my point is that whatever helps you to think or organize your thoughts

and do not forget there are many good things in life other than fighting.

fighting is part of it, but it is not all, there is more--

--
    Last edited by SPJ; 03-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Back OT, I've always been a huge advocate of cross-training, however that should begin on the intermediate level, not the beginning level. .
    This is right on the money. I would say devote at least 3 years to one style. But before doing that, visit at least 5 schools if possible. And make sure one of the schools is a BJJ school.

Not saying to choose BJJ. But see what a somewhat standardized training program for competitive combatives look like.

No matter what style/school, things to look for are the most advanced students: they should be thick. Not necessarily big and muscular, but they have a heaviness to them. When they touch you they feel heavy.

Look to see how a 3 year student looks.

Are they sweating in class? Are they pushing themselves. Essentially, does it look like training or more of a lecture hall?

Think of what you want to be and see if they are it.

everyone has left some really good information. let me tell you a bit about how each of these sifus differ. Sifu Steve my Wing Chun sifu's group is very small. On a good day there are maybe 3-5 students. All of us are newer students because the senior students under a close sihing to Steve, have become busy with life and cannot make it usually. I have seen them train though and they are really skilled at Wing Chun. Steve has been teaching me some Escrima as well in the past. The Northern Shaolin sifu teaches the Wudang and Beishaolin systems. His group is pretty well sized with 10+ students regularly at the Shaolin classes. He offers seminars at cost and also actually teaches Hung Gar which he is very good at. Both Tong Bei and Baji look like excellent styles from what i've seen. He only teaches the Shaolin Tong Bei form but he does teach Bajiquan regularly. I figured people would say to stick to one style for a while obviously, but I find it interesting to see other people who cross train and enjoy it. The problem is I don't have the time to fully dedicate myself to more than two styles, if that. Hey SPJ what movie is that you posted a link to? I want to watch it.
    Last edited by shaolin_allan; 03-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post

if we only think about fighting all the time, we lose sight of something bigger--
    So true......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    Hey SPJ what movie is that you posted a link to? I want to watch it.
    it is called die xue gu cheng, bloodshed in a lonely city.

I bought the dvd. it is a 2010 movie about resistence war against Japan.

some dramatization here and there.

but overall it is a very good movie.

only 200 men out of 8000 survived the ordeal of defending chang de city alone.

--

it is studied as an example of defending a besieged city during those years.

---

IMHO, having two sifus is not absolutely a no no. As long as the two subjects of study are not very similar, say BJJ and Tae Kwan Do. Besides, a sifu should encourage his student to go out and learn more, rather than just learn from him only.

KC
    Hong Kong