Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WALMARTial Arts

We have obesity here in epidemic proportions, but nothing like what they are going through in the USA.

People are weird, they just don't want to deal with so many things that are at the foundation of their living. Pursue desires instead.

It is ridiculously apparent what needs to be done, but few undertake to go through the transformative process of return to origin.

anyway, just sayin...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I knew Canada was a brother when I started watching that show trailer park boys on Netflix and realized the only difference between your white trailer trash and our is the way words with the word 'out' in them are pronounced.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    First time in a WalMart in the States about two years ago, my wife and i were floored by the amount of scooters buzzing around the store. Up here you would see two maybe three scooters and they are not even being used. Over there, it's like they got a fleet of them and all are being used. I guess it points to the obesity problem.
    yeah i can say in all honesty that you will never see that where i live... you see the odd fat woman on her own scooter....

thats just sad... the one time these planets would get exercise is when they are forced to leave home to go shop...now they can evenm sit thru that... the one time they would actually get exercise... these scooters arent doing anyone any favors....if you legitimately need a scooter you should already have one...

I suspect that Walmart has little to with this other than renting space to some franchise. I see it spreading because of this current fad concerning MMA as promoted on TV. It attracts a particular type of individual, such as you could see in the photo. Any time something gets popular amongst lots of people, someone will exploit that to make the bucks. If it makes money it is a smart move, if it burns out and costs money, it becomes a bad idea.
    Obesity in this country is due to the corner convenience store and the fast food industry. Consumption of sugar based drinks probably leads the way. In 1900 the average sugar consumption was around 2.5 pounds. Today it amounts to somewhere in the hundreds of pounds. Adult onset diabetes was unheard of in 1900, but by the year 2000 it is as common as being fat. No longer is it called adult onset, but simply type 2. It now effects children below 10 years of age.
    Nothing in nature that you could eat all at once will contain as much sugar as a single soda. I think I remember the content of a single 20 0z. soda being around 14 teaspoons of raw processed sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    *snip*
    Obesity in this country is due to the corner convenience store and the fast food industry. Consumption of sugar based drinks probably leads the way. In 1900 the average sugar consumption was around 2.5 pounds. Today it amounts to somewhere in the hundreds of pounds. Adult onset diabetes was unheard of in 1900, but by the year 2000 it is as common as being fat. No longer is it called adult onset, but simply type 2. It now effects children below 10 years of age.
    Nothing in nature that you could eat all at once will contain as much sugar as a single soda. I think I remember the content of a single 20 0z. soda being around 14 teaspoons of raw processed sugar.
    Not so much due to their existence as the suppression of information about them.
    There is also a suppression of information about healthy living with only a little lipservice paid here and there to it.

how many ads for healthy living do you see on the box compared to McDonalds, Wendy's, Softdrinks, Beer and candy ads?

How much information is regularly made available that cleraly indicates without pulling any punches that consumption of this stuff on a daily basis is actually deadly much the same as cigarettes are.

People don't seem to be able to make responsible choices in the greater percentage of the population. If they could there wouldn't be fast food places selling the crap they sell, no one would smoke, factory farming would be dead and autos would have been running on hydrogen cells or electricity 70 years ago already.

The real and genuine root problem is Greed. Greed will be our downfall, Greed IS our downfall.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries

Kung-Fu Schools INSIDE Walmart?!

Just saw Tom Callos' post this on facebook, figured it was worthy to bring to attention here. Tom Callos is a martial arts industry consultant.

Tom Callos
    ‎(Spell-Checked Venison) I'm sorry, I have to say it: OK, so after hearing that there might be franchises sold to have martial arts schools for kids in Walmarts (announced at the last "convention") with a "Walmart Approved Curriculum, " where the kids are taught by instructors following along with TV-based instruction, well shoot, I was underwhelmed.

However, I was inspired to send out some signals to groups I thought might hold similar opportunities...so, just so all of you recognize that this is my territory now, I've send queries to K-mart, Skaggs Drugs, Popeyes Chicken, NAPA Auto Parts, Taco Bell (classes w/ hot sauce), ACE Hardware, Tidy-Bowl Plumbing, McDonalds (taught 10 million so far), and the Larry Flint organization.

I'd personally like a school for kids at Starbucks, except that my wife told me last week that the coffee roasting process they use makes your varicose veins explode (even if you don't have any)...or maybe it was your brain? Anyway, I'm really excited about how good it's going to be for the industry and for the martial arts in general, and, of course, for all the KIDS --if, for example, Chik-Filet bites on my idea of a branch school in each location. We can hire instructors who follow a televised Chik-Filet (sp?) approved curriculum, taught be really, REALLY good teachers in chicken suits.

For franchise sales, call me, my number is 1-800-Kano's-turning-in-his-grave.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

There's an AutoZone in the ghetto part of town. We train the students by making them count a stack of dollar bills in the parking lot.

Walmart Approved Curriculum
    Here's a pic of a star student

They even have Tai Chi!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    notice how already the place looks like a s***hole.
    Clutter all over the place.
    Completely unprofessional.
    Well, what do you expect...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Why not? Almost everything else inside Walmart originates in China.

It's like everything you hate about dime-a-dozen karate schools with 8 year old black belts conveniently located next to tube socks and ****ty produce.

Anything to get fat people moving.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I had to merge this with MK's old MMA Walmart thread

And give the thread a new title.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Martial Arts Industry Association

There was a full page ad in this month's MAIA magazine offering franchise opportunities inside of your local Wal-Mart. I couldn't believe it when I read it!

Surritt Bros. Kung-Fu San Soo
    P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117