Thread: William Cheung's ANTI-CLF Tactics

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    not being funny but we dont have to imagine what CLF looks like with gloves on we can see plenty of it in full contact events....the same cant be said for hung gar
    Really?
    To be honest I never searched for it so...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Really?
    To be honest I never searched for it so...
    yep lots of sanda full contact clips from clf schools, which does look like kickboxing with more hooks etc

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hate to admit it, but he's right. There just aren't enough Hung Kuen guys out there doing it. There are a few, and even in the midst of the MMA craze, TCMA schools are growing, so it's a matter of time I suppose.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Well, like I said I never looked so I don't know, but I just took a look on youtube and put in full contact hung gar and didn't get much at all.
    That sucks.
    And not in a good way !

yeah i love hung gar so always look for stuff on it as far as fighting goes but cant find nada thus far

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Blog Entries

Hung Gar vs Mantis

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries

Joe Kino****a vs Hung Gar Sanshou Boxe Chinês 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLhsyyN7T2Q

Fung Yang Sau Kung Fu V's Hung Gar - Full contact Kung Fu - British Championships 1996
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdy2KyqPYo
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-10-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Well, like I said I never looked so I don't know, but I just took a look on youtube and put in full contact hung gar and didn't get much at all.
    That sucks.
    And not in a good way !
    it shouldnt worry you because you CAN fight with it and can make it work, but if i was still a hung gar student i would wonder about its current effectiveness if all my sifu could do was say this is how we would look in a full contact fight..........

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it shouldnt worry you because you CAN fight with it and can make it work, but if i was still a hung gar student i would wonder about its current effectiveness if all my sifu could do was say this is how we would look in a full contact fight..........
    not quite sure how you are arriving at this opinion.
    ???
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Frost,

No less junior high schoolish than your 8 total posts on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    not quite sure how you are arriving at this opinion.
    ???
    well i cant find any clips of it in sanda or other full contact fighting and i cant find any clubs that take part in sanda so how do i know how they fight or how they should look in action?

Say i want to start CLF, i can search it on line and find plenty of clips of it in action in full contact fighting, i cant find much if any hung gar, so i go to a CLF club and the coach shows me clips of guys fighting full contact from their club or lineage or shows me guys getting ready for their net sanda match, i go to a hung gar club and can i find the same..ie a club with guys that fight full contact or a lineage that can show me its guys in actual fights, if i couldnt and all i could find was people saying what it should look like i for one would start to wonder about it

My first experience with HK was at the tender age of 8 and I was at that school for about 3 years and even then we fought ( controlled and with gear but still fought) and it tend to look like KB with some sweeps ( or attempts) and so forth.
    Most styles when they put on gear will look like KB to one extent or another.
    Now I can make me fighting VERY "hung garish" if I choose to, but to be honest, to me Hung Kuen was about hitting hard, hitting often, controlling the opponent and finishing him off.
    Tools were semi-irrelevant, outside of certain trade mark moves in HK of course.
    When I took it up again in my early 20's it was the same thing really but IF you competed you knew that you have to cater to the rules and that typically meant "kickboxing".
    Hung Kuen is a solid core system, it develops power, endurance, strength and speed and keeps things simple and effective.
    Sure you can make it flowery and fancy, but that was never me so..
    You will NOT find any HK guy "fighting with forms" or looking like a shaw brothers movie.

My first experience with HK was at the tender age of 8 and I was at that school for about 3 years and even then we fought ( controlled and with gear but still fought) and it tend to look like KB with some sweeps ( or attempts) and so forth.
    Most styles when they put on gear will look like KB to one extent or another.
    Now I can make me fighting VERY "hung garish" if I choose to, but to be honest, to me Hung Kuen was about hitting hard, hitting often, controlling the opponent and finishing him off.
    Tools were semi-irrelevant, outside of certain trade mark moves in HK of course.
    When I took it up again in my early 20's it was the same thing really but IF you competed you knew that you have to cater to the rules and that typically meant "kickboxing".
    Hung Kuen is a solid core system, it develops power, endurance, strength and speed and keeps things simple and effective.
    Sure you can make it flowery and fancy, but that was never me so..
    You will NOT find any HK guy "fighting with forms" or looking like a shaw brothers movie.
    Fair enough and I’m sure its true, the hung gar I did seemed practical strong and forceful but from a students perspective I would still find it a little disconcerting that there is so little hung gar out there showing the guys actually fighting, it’s a but much to argue (like some are (not you but others) that its coming but it will take time) MMA has been around for 2 decades, sanda and san shou much much longer, how long do schools need?

And I understand it’s a personal journey but for me its never been about if my coach is good or can beat me up, its if the style works for a lot of people and works well against other styles, I can see CLF doing this and not hung gar, so I’d be tempted to go the CLF route (or find someone that teaches both as well as bak mei and yung ling……strange I know someone who teaches all those close to me but finding the time to actually get to the school is another matter!)