Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: William Cheung's ANTI-CLF Tactics

how does she put up with his craziness!!!
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    not quite sure how you are arriving at this opinion.
    ???
    well i cant find any clips of it in sanda or other full contact fighting and i cant find any clubs that take part in sanda so how do i know how they fight or how they should look in action?

Say i want to start CLF, i can search it on line and find plenty of clips of it in action in full contact fighting, i cant find much if any hung gar, so i go to a CLF club and the coach shows me clips of guys fighting full contact from their club or lineage or shows me guys getting ready for their net sanda match, i go to a hung gar club and can i find the same..ie a club with guys that fight full contact or a lineage that can show me its guys in actual fights, if i couldnt and all i could find was people saying what it should look like i for one would start to wonder about it

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    how does she put up with his craziness!!!
    well the millions in his bank probably help

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Frost,

No less junior high schoolish than your 8 total posts on the subject
    yep but i didnt claim to be above this stuff

I love his counter to Thai Boxing low kick. Check kick with shin (from Muay Thai lol), then move to outside (much harder to pull off in reality), then finish with chain punches and lap sao.

Dude, I swear William Cheung shows the same technique to counter EVERYTHING in those DVD excerpts.... move outside, lap sao, chuan chui....
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

He's gone funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I love his counter to Thai Boxing low kick. Check kick with shin (from Muay Thai lol), then move to outside (much harder to pull off in reality), then finish with chain punches and lap sao.

Dude, I swear William Cheung shows the same technique to counter EVERYTHING in those DVD excerpts.... move outside, lap sao, chuan chui....
    just for once I’d like the kick to be set up correctly, its one thing to block a soft telegraphed single kick, another to be able to shield a kick set up off a jab cross body hook combo or a double jab and which the Thai guy actually steps across and through and drops his weight into the kick……………as for getting outside a fighter when has that ever been pulled off like in that clip. I swear between these clips and his takedown defence T put up a while ago people should run a mile before training with the guy

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    people should run a mile before training with the guy
    That's it! he's trying to indirectly influence people to improve their aerobic capacity! Smart piggy - oink, oink!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    That's it! he's trying to indirectly influence people to improve their aerobic capacity! Smart piggy - oink, oink!
    It would probably be better for you than learning his self defence stuff

he looks like my grandmother

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

it shouldnt worry you because you CAN fight with it and can make it work, but if i was still a hung gar student i would wonder about its current effectiveness if all my sifu could do was say this is how we would look in a full contact fight..........
    My first experience with HK was at the tender age of 8 and I was at that school for about 3 years and even then we fought ( controlled and with gear but still fought) and it tend to look like KB with some sweeps ( or attempts) and so forth.
    Most styles when they put on gear will look like KB to one extent or another.
    Now I can make me fighting VERY "hung garish" if I choose to, but to be honest, to me Hung Kuen was about hitting hard, hitting often, controlling the opponent and finishing him off.
    Tools were semi-irrelevant, outside of certain trade mark moves in HK of course.
    When I took it up again in my early 20's it was the same thing really but IF you competed you knew that you have to cater to the rules and that typically meant "kickboxing".
    Hung Kuen is a solid core system, it develops power, endurance, strength and speed and keeps things simple and effective.
    Sure you can make it flowery and fancy, but that was never me so..
    You will NOT find any HK guy "fighting with forms" or looking like a shaw brothers movie.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    My first experience with HK was at the tender age of 8 and I was at that school for about 3 years and even then we fought ( controlled and with gear but still fought) and it tend to look like KB with some sweeps ( or attempts) and so forth.
    Most styles when they put on gear will look like KB to one extent or another.
    Now I can make me fighting VERY "hung garish" if I choose to, but to be honest, to me Hung Kuen was about hitting hard, hitting often, controlling the opponent and finishing him off.
    Tools were semi-irrelevant, outside of certain trade mark moves in HK of course.
    When I took it up again in my early 20's it was the same thing really but IF you competed you knew that you have to cater to the rules and that typically meant "kickboxing".
    Hung Kuen is a solid core system, it develops power, endurance, strength and speed and keeps things simple and effective.
    Sure you can make it flowery and fancy, but that was never me so..
    You will NOT find any HK guy "fighting with forms" or looking like a shaw brothers movie.
    Fair enough and I’m sure its true, the hung gar I did seemed practical strong and forceful but from a students perspective I would still find it a little disconcerting that there is so little hung gar out there showing the guys actually fighting, it’s a but much to argue (like some are (not you but others) that its coming but it will take time) MMA has been around for 2 decades, sanda and san shou much much longer, how long do schools need?

And I understand it’s a personal journey but for me its never been about if my coach is good or can beat me up, its if the style works for a lot of people and works well against other styles, I can see CLF doing this and not hung gar, so I’d be tempted to go the CLF route (or find someone that teaches both as well as bak mei and yung ling……strange I know someone who teaches all those close to me but finding the time to actually get to the school is another matter!)

And I understand it’s a personal journey but for me its never been about if my coach is good or can beat me up, its if the style works for a lot of people and works well against other styles, I can see CLF doing this and not hung gar, so I’d be tempted to go the CLF route (or find someone that teaches both as well as bak mei and yung ling……strange I know someone who teaches all those close to me but finding the time to actually get to the school is another matter!)
    It's funny but I have never cared if a coach/teacher could beat me, that is irrelevant to whether he can teach me something to make me better.
    Probably something I picked up from boxing.
    I have always been conscious of the "gabs" in my MA and have always sought ways to fill them.
    My last HK sifu was retired and only had 4 students and his brother, while a few years younger and a SPM guy ( both from Macao), was also older with only a couple of private students.
    Truth be said Neither one could have beat me, I am stronger, faster and know how to fight, yet BOTH we able to fill in gaps that I had and both made me a better MA.

I think the view of a system working well VS other systems and with a track record of being effective in full contact fights is a great place to start in the judgment process of any style.
    I am not sure if it can be applied across the board though.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It's funny but I have never cared if a coach/teacher could beat me, that is irrelevant to whether he can teach me something to make me better.
    Probably something I picked up from boxing.
    I have always been conscious of the "gabs" in my MA and have always sought ways to fill them.
    My last HK sifu was retired and only had 4 students and his brother, while a few years younger and a SPM guy ( both from Macao), was also older with only a couple of private students.
    Truth be said Neither one could have beat me, I am stronger, faster and know how to fight, yet BOTH we able to fill in gaps that I had and both made me a better MA.

I think the view of a system working well VS other systems and with a track record of being effective in full contact fights is a great place to start in the judgment process of any style.
    I am not sure if it can be applied across the board though.
    You are an honest man Paul, not many would admit that they could beat their but still found merit in what they had to teach you, way too much sifu is great/worship around for my liking (although my coach could kick my backksdie but then he’s younger than me lol)

Looking to fill gaps is a great way to view things, but for me right now figuring out what those gaps are is the tough bit lol

You are an honest man Paul, not many would admit that they could beat their but still found merit in what they had to teach you, way too much sifu is great/worship around for my liking (although my coach could kick my backksdie but then he’s younger than me lol)

Looking to fill gaps is a great way to view things, but for me right now figuring out what those gaps are is the tough bit lol
    AH dude, I would guess that the majority of boxers can beat their coaches but they still have them and learn from them, even more so the world champs.

The whole "invincible sifu" crap is from the movies.
    Woo to the teacher that can't train his students well enough so that they can beat him, that makes him one lousy teacher.