Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: William Cheung's ANTI-CLF Tactics

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I've studied under some great teachers and some not-so-great. I try to utilize the teaching techniques of the great ones, avoid the mistakes of the not-so-greats.
    I use my own weaknesses as a learning tool to make sure my students don't develop my bad habits. My goal is to have my students surpass me. In essence, I have become(am becoming) the teacher I wish I had.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Truth be said Neither one could have beat me, I am stronger, faster and know how to fight, yet BOTH we able to fill in gaps that I had and both made me a better MA.
    QFT + The 10,000 Things...

Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post

Frank and Violent Design,

What do you think?

In my mind, CLF is much powerful then the first two clips.

The third clip is flowery and not that traditional.

2, IMHO, CLF is all about snow balling momentum, if one doesnt have that snow balling momentum then one's CLF is not that good, if one cant jam the momentum of a good CLF player then game is over.

For me 0 to 0.18 is CLF type
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpcaowUp0g

3, For me, Bill fails to pin point the momentum thus it is a disaster. but then in todays world, not too many gone deeper then mimic move.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I've studied under some great teachers and some not-so-great. I try to utilize the teaching techniques of the great ones, avoid the mistakes of the not-so-greats.
    I use my own weaknesses as a learning tool to make sure my students don't develop my bad habits. My goal is to have my students surpass me. In essence, I have become(am becoming) the teacher I wish I had.
    Well said Bro.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sifu Chan Chee Man has a DVD. In the interview he speaks about him being a CLF practitioner and he challenged William Cheung to a fight. The first time he lost but he wanted to try again. He lost the second time as well. He asked William Cheung to take him to Yip Man. Now CCM is a WC Sifu. I've heard two of my WC Sifus talk about Wm. Cheung's fights with CLF guys. So it's not like he hasn't encountered CLF for real.
    I'm also familiar with CLF fighters. I know because many of the Triads used CLF.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    hi phil was your fights before or after you started with william cheung?
    Only the last two were after I met William Cheung. Including the one with Jonas Nunez. That's why I don't knock other WC lineages. I was doing well in another lineage. I really think it's the individual. There are good and crappy people in all styles.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

ONE of CLF's methods of approach is "SNOW BALLING" or blitz, or rush, etc. YES. But, CLF is not only about that. we like to work the angles and not just rush forward in a linear path. Sometimes we won't rush in but will just keep our distance and destroy your limbs.

Yup. that is what I mean by snow balling, not linear, but make use of the swing and curvature /spiralling.

In Cho family WCK , we have the Pau, Kup, sou, kua, chad of CLF fuse to WCK to makes set so the momentum is continuous varying from swing, angle, linear.... the whole set "snow ball" from the begining to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Frank and Violent Design,

What do you think?

In my mind, CLF is much powerful then the first two clips.

The third clip is flowery and not that traditional.

2, IMHO, CLF is all about snow balling momentum, if one doesnt have that snow balling momentum then one's CLF is not that good, if one cant jam the momentum of a good CLF player then game is over.

For me 0 to 0.18 is CLF type
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpcaowUp0g

3, For me, Bill fails to pin point the momentum thus it is a disaster. but then in todays world, not too many gone deeper then mimic move.
    Hendrik

In our Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut we use that "snow-balling" momentum generation or blitzkrieg attack (I prefer 3-punch combination or 3-punch 1-kick).

"Typical" setup may be like.

First punch is ying sao.
    Second punch is the link.
    Third punch is to finish.

Each get progressively more strong.

Stopping is more difficult than the video shows because, of the accompanying footwork that is more important than any hand technique.

Torquing of ankle, hip and shoulder also more important than the punch. Punch is just a shape. Everybody can punch, but that is not makes CLF "style."

The video is a mistake because his student throwing the sao chui is not using any footwork. He is only throwing the punch, everyone can do that. For us, the footwork gets there before the punch. The body drive the fist, like a gun shooting a bullet.

步胯肩轉偏身走
    標上擊撞拳不收
    近擊快重準密透
    攻消追打線中求
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Violent Designs,

Yup.
    what you describe is close to what I have learn from Cho family's CLF inheritance. once it rolls it won stop ...

It is crazy to think standing in YJKYM or any static stance and stop those type of things instead of get hit by the momentum and meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Violent Designs,

Yup.
    what you describe is close to what I have learn from Cho family's CLF inheritance. once it rolls it won stop ...

It is crazy to think standing in YJKYM or any static stance and stop those type of things instead of get hit by the momentum and meltdown.
    Mind sharing more of Cho Family CLF lineage? I am not familiar...

thank you.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Mind sharing more of Cho Family CLF lineage? I am not familiar...

thank you.

Cho family in china was southern fist and CLF practitioners and paticipate in the Taiping revolution and Red boat uprising.

Cho's fighters was defeated by Yik Kam a WCner from the Red boat and start to study WCK. Yik Kam asked the Cho to preserve all the art they have studied, Thus, Cho has later evolve in to a fusion of CLF and WCK type of art even the teaching of Yik Kam WCK is still preserve.

http://www.w1ng.com/the-wing-chun-ku...cho-hung-choy/

In the very core of Yik Kam WCK all are momentum handling. it is not shape but fast momentum handling beyond shape. such as

拳打三節不見形, 四力六方迥旋出,
    Strike could be in any of the joints without fix shape/form
    four four six directional spinning out

四力= 一,墜力, 二,摩察撐力, 三,運動變速力, 四,肌肉伸缩力.

Four force = droping , friction, speed change at movement, muscle.

I was told Yik Kam defeat the Cho CLF fighers via momentum handling.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    this is true.
    I should have mentioned that obviously the Triads used CLF because it's really good against multiple attackers which is a situation you'd encounter in a gang fight. CLF is no joke.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

"I should have mentioned that obviously the Triads used CLF because it's really good against multiple attackers which is a situation you'd encounter in a gang fight. CLF is no joke."

I would like to compliment Sifu Redmond on his professionalism! The kung fu community needs more individuals like this man.

Sure, CLF and WC have a different strategy..but so what?

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    "I should have mentioned that obviously the Triads used CLF because it's really good against multiple attackers which is a situation you'd encounter in a gang fight. CLF is no joke."

I would like to compliment Sifu Redmond on his professionalism! The kung fu community needs more individuals like this man.

Sure, CLF and WC have a different strategy..but so what?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The comment on Sifu Redmond is true.

joy chaudhuri

Thank you both and thank God that I'm not the only one.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr