Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: William Cheung's ANTI-CLF Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson;1082535 . . .
    First video I saw of him was an old SLT demo. It was awful and it looked as if he was chewing on aspirins with a mouth full of lemon juice.. .
    I once did a demo of SLT form at Princeton. Afterwords a Chinese lady said to me, "..nice form but why were you chewing gum?". I proceeded to explain to her that the Du Meridian runs up the back of the body and th Ren Meridian runs up the front. The Du "ends" where the teeth meet the gum. The Ren "ends" at the tip of the tongue. When doing our SLT form we press the tip of the tongue at the point on the middle front of the palate where the teeth and gum meet. While doing this you gather Saliva in your mouth and swallow in big gulps to nourish the Chi/Qi. Of course you know this because it's common knowledge in TCM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Is this why Dr. Yang Jwing Ming mentions to bite ones' teeth together ..I believe it's 20 times in chi-gung practice?

Furthermore..is this why some schools of thought in chinese medicine mention to put the tongue in the roof of the mouth while doing chi gung/certain kung fu forms?

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post

Furthermore..is this why some schools of thought in chinese medicine mention to put the tongue in the roof of the mouth while doing chi gung/certain kung fu forms?
    I was taught this by my Hung Kuen teacher.

For certain moves and applications.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    . . . It is crazy to think standing in YJKYM or any static stance and stop those type of things instead of get hit by the momentum and meltdown.
    You are correct. A static stance against powerful CLF strikes can get your arms battered since some CLF strikes are designed to crash through the bridge of an opponent to get to the body. You must have a moving dynamic stance.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Is this why Dr. Yang Jwing Ming mentions to bite ones' teeth together ..I believe it's 20 times in chi-gung practice?

Yes, teeth together and tip of tongue pressed against the palate. You also need to gather Saliva then swallow it repeatedly. That's why it looks as if someone is chewing something.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I was taught this by my Hung Kuen teacher.

For certain moves and applications.

Tongue to the roof to

1, naturally get the breathing down to lower abs , help breathing regulation naturally
    2, connect the Ren Du

#1 is obvious every one will be able to notice it right the way. #2 needs proper Qigong training to make sense out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You are correct. A static stance against powerful CLF strikes can get your arms battered since some CLF strikes are designed to crash through the bridge of an opponent to get to the body. You must have a moving dynamic stance.

Most WCner dont have a moving dynamic stance,
    Some is using avoiding instead of be able to accept the in coming force,
    some is using their body behind their strike to add power for crashing effect or structure breaking.

Thus, these types of training is not that dynamic and cant stand a good boxer attack or a bjj take down. Unless WC go another level up to incoorporate the above and more refinement.

Alone, It is a lower level limited training compare with the CLF which is batterfield proven (1850 -1945) from fighting the Qing in the Taiping side and fighting the Japanese with the broad sword set.

WC people like to boasting the fighting Qing, the truth in the history is there is no WC people fighting Qing in the mass scale. The real one who fight Qing in the mass scale represent the Shao lin is CLF.

Today's WC looks good in the WC movie. Thanks to Hung Gum Bo. In the real life, I am not sure.
    WC for me is a almost lost art which is an evolve art today mix with Taiji, Hung Gar, Hsyin yin, Yi Chuan. The internal espect of the WCK is gone. the power generation of true inch power in Leong Jun's era is lost. Those Bruce Lee inch punch are just some kind of gimmic which cant be apply in real life vesus advance player.

Unless we WCner look at ourself honestly, then only then WC has a bright future.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-14-2011 at 11:42 AM.

"You are correct. A static stance against powerful CLF strikes can get your arms battered since some CLF strikes are designed to crash through the bridge of an opponent to get to the body. You must have a moving dynamic stance"

Sifu Redmond,

I don't have an interest in the WC vs. CLF issue especially since I am a mantis practitioner. But are you saying you feel that CLF moves would prove to be problematic to someone who practices WC. Problematic in the sense for the reasons that you have outlined?

Hung Ga is interesting to me since it combines aspects of WC (the Pak Sao in WC you can see in the opening of the Fu-Hok form) as well as aspects of CLF in the 12 bridges/10 killing hands principles.

Actually..given the history of..for lack of a better word..friction between CLF and WC..I never thought I would see the way where a WC man would have something good to say about Chan Heungs' art.

Hung Ga is interesting to me since it combines aspects of WC (the Pak Sao in WC you can see in the opening of the Fu-Hok form) as well as aspects of CLF in the 12 bridges/10 killing hands principles.

Hung Ga can have some similarity shape as Pak Sao but those are different stuffs because the power generation is very different and aapplication uniqueness are different.

Actually..given the history of..for lack of a better word..friction between CLF and WC..I never thought I would see the way where a WC man would have something good to say about Chan Heungs' art.

1850 era, the time when real fighting occur against Qing,
    CLF and WC both support revolution together they are allies not enermy. CLF people even visited Leung Jan and have some exchange.

so it is matter of how deep one likes to go.

My ancestors in Cho family still keep good contact with CLF even after they learn WCK from Yik Kam the opera actor.

Blog Entries
    Hendrik, did you see that video i posted? lots of good CLF in there. I also liked the wing chun and the sifu.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Hendrik, did you see that video i posted? lots of good CLF in there. I also liked the wing chun and the sifu.

Yes, thanks!

These are great stuffs to learn from each others.

The two men set at 12.00 remind me of Cho WCK's two men set which is practicing left right back forth similar to that two men set but using WC technics and cover all the angles including the frontal which WCK in general shows. The set is called Chi Sau play set. Today it is almost totally lost / extinct beside a few people know it.

it is very different then IpMan and YKS chi sau platform type. there are lots of moving and angling and....etc. so it is like a CLF which continuous moving but the technics are all WCK type and way.

The following is a sample of it. start 0.35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqHE5A4LC80
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-14-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Last edited by Violent Designs; 03-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I've trained under Gary at his place in LA, got level 1 in his system. What I appreciate about him the most is his naturallness. You can see in the vid that he's doing VT, but he's not static or fixed. He does like to play a bit too much for my taste, but he likes to work off the 2nd or 3rd timing, as I'm sure he could take most out with one shot, as his power is great. He's got the whole package timing, speed, power, position, and a great amount of experience, plus he's into chin na as well. At times though as a beginner in his system, it was hard to follow him in his curriculum, everyday something was done slightly different, he's very creative, doesnt do things the same way all the time, which can make it hard to learn, but I will say, what you see on is vids/DVD's is the same as what he teaches, and he's very open to questions and hands on teaching.

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    I've trained under Gary at his place in LA, got level 1 in his system. What I appreciate about him the most is his naturallness. You can see in the vid that he's doing VT, but he's not static or fixed. He does like to play a bit too much for my taste, but he likes to work off the 2nd or 3rd timing, as I'm sure he could take most out with one shot, as his power is great. He's got the whole package timing, speed, power, position, and a great amount of experience, plus he's into chin na as well. At times though as a beginner in his system, it was hard to follow him in his curriculum, everyday something was done slightly different, he's very creative, doesnt do things the same way all the time, which can make it hard to learn, but I will say, what you see on is vids/DVD's is the same as what he teaches, and he's very open to questions and hands on teaching.

James
    I like most of his video clips, there are small things I disagree with (his explanation of why vertical or "yin" punch was more powerful than horizontal or "yang" punch when I thought his display of the reverse punch was not fully accurate, for example), but overall I am impressed.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Gary is doing a great job explaining his art.

These Cho Gar have evolve into more Nam Kuen. Since Cho Gar has evolved for past 150 years, there are lots of different branches.