Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn Multiple Kung Fu Styles, what are the effects?

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Over the years I have learn 5 different kung fu styles. I do not consider myself a master of anything but I teach them. Also I have done seminars and spent time with many other Sifu but did not learn a specific system form them.

Each system has it's own uniqueness, each has it's own methods and theory. I learned from different teachers and each teacher had their own thought on fighting / application / theory and form flavor etc etc.

In the end.... I have been affected by all of them. Every style I teach has been affected by all of them. While teaching Hung Gar... it is still Hung Gar but because of the blend of teachers it has tiny nuances from each of my styles. Each of the systems I teach has been affected by my greed early in my Kung Fu career.

My question is:

Is it wrong that my styles are a little affected by the flavor of the others?

Will each system end up not being taught correctly because it has been spiced up by my other teachers influence?

your thoughts

ginosifu

So, here's an idea:

What is there to contaminate? How you do each style will obviously change, but how you teach each style, and the original templates won't be affected if you understand your curriculum.

That being said, if one of your styles has an idea or template that doesn't make sense and you want to change it, work with your teachers and kung fu brothers/sisters to find out if it doesn't make sense because you didn't get it, or if it just doesn't work, in which case, who cares if you "contaminate" it?

Peer review is essential in any field of study. No style has 100% perfect ideas, there's no such thing as an infallible style, and every style can use refinement somewhere.

But if your goal is to teach the original curriculum, it shouldn't be affected at all by other styles. You should understand each template and the concepts it demonstrates, as well as the concepts it does not demonstrate (but maybe should).

I don't have any problem separating each style in my mind, and for things I do, I have everything in my notes anyways.

... of course, this is where a good general education can come in handy...

It should be taken note that when we ourselves are being taught "stand-alone" systems by our teachers and that particular curriculum, we should remember such methods for the most part.

There's no reason for your WCK curriculum to become "tainted" by another system you do. How you personally fight using your martial arts knowledge is another thing, but teaching is quite different.

Without a proper curriculum, there is nothing to teach.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

My Shuai Jiao is always screwing up my salsa dancing.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    get I trouble for dumping your dance teacher partner on her head again?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Let me explain that a bit better.

I spent from about 1986 - 1992 hoping from teacher to teacher. Spending 3 or 4 months here and a month or 2 there. I tried everything from Silat to Shotokan. I spent 2 Years at a Tae Kwon Do school until I found Northern Shaolin.

I spent about 2 or 3 years in Northern Shaolin before I started Hung Gar and then another 2 or 3 before I started Monkey. I was doing Shuai Chaio and Tai Chi Along With Shaolin. I was Kinda Lucky... SC was just part of the curriculum in the Northern Shaolin Class. Tai Chi was taught by a Sifu who was just renting out the space at the time in the same facility.

Spend time seeking out the right teacher for you then spend 3 or 4 years into an art form before you start hoping around frrom srtyle to style.

ginosifu
    if martial arts are taught more openly and less secretive you could have found your ideal style in a matter of months.
    these days martial arts are too expensive, and msot people too busy to be able to do what you did.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if martial arts are taught more openly and less secretive you could have found your ideal style in a matter of months.
    these days martial arts are too expensive, and msot people too busy to be able to do what you did.
    ?? how much does it cost to train where you live

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Just stay away from lindy hop and your partner may get through this without a broken neck....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    ?? how much does it cost to train where you live
    Not sure about bawang's location, but here it's about $100/month now on average.

For Kung Fu, I think the effects are minimal except for small nuances.

horse stance is horse stance. It is either high or low.
    bow and arrow are same across all styles, high or low being the thing again.
    60/40 step is same same
    50/50 is same same
    cat stance or empty/false leg stance are same again with the high or low.

punching is either flat fist, vertical fist, upper cut

over hand flat fist is called charp or simply, an overhand in boxing. lol

kicking is flicked, swung off the hip, pivotted, pushed, cut.

There is in my opinion no bad things except those things that are contrary to common sense.

In my mind, most of everything that is out there is rooted in shaolin, even the wudang and other taoist stuff and for the most part the so called "internal martial arts" have all these things as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

In my mind, most of everything that is out there is rooted in shaolin, even the wudang and other taoist stuff and for the most part the so called "internal martial arts" have all these things as well.
    The internal arts you're referring to are wudang but I do agree with what you posted. You will find similarities across all cma systems. good post.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There is in my opinion no bad things except those things that are contrary to common sense.
    That's common sense.

I train Wing chun and Eskrima (Latosa and also Torres DTE). Latosa's stuff is really strong and practical. And, the DTE Eskrima group is run by a boxer who really knows how to generate power. They also train cage fighters. Some have done pretty well locally. Now, all I need is to get back into grappling and I feel I've got my bases covered. At least as well as I can at age 55 with a family and career to tend to. Yeah, I know Bawang hates WC. I'd tell him he's full of it-- that he doesn't know our WC, but what's the point? He wouldn't listen. Besides, I want to stay on his good side, cuz his mom is hot!
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Yes I agree with Grumblegeezer that escrima is a great combination with wing chun and the wing chun i train is very realistic and we focus on basics a lot. Down the road after I get a good base I plan on re-learning the Bagua I had forgotten as well and finish the system.

Blog Entries
    The Chinese wrestling and the Mantis system are a good mix. You can use Mantis hands combo to set up many throws.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The Chinese wrestling and the Mantis system are a good mix. You can use Mantis hands combo to set up many throws.
    yes. it is a good approach, however, the stepping methods are rapid and light in mantis.

if the end game is a throw, the end steps have to be steady and firm.

give or take.

learn whatever you can

take whatever you can

then after a while

learn/polish/refine whatever you need

take whatever you need or like

from whatever styles

---