Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Important-Throwing/Wrestling (Shuai) or Submission (Na)

More Important-Throwing/Wrestling (Shuai) or Submission (Na)

A question for all you Chinese grapplers or grapplers in general. What do you feel is more important, throw or submit. Yes, I know both are important, I want to know which you feel is more beneficial to be better at. Please don't turn this into a Kung Fu has no grappling or Chin Na is not the same as BJJ, most all of usrecongnize that yes, Chin Na does not compare to BJJ or Judo Newaza in regards to submission. Just looking for opinions. Personally I feel for street self defense throws and wrestling are of more importance. However, for MMA competition I believe submission work to be more important. Thoughts?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Throw then submit.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shuai is more important you can always beat them into sumbission.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

i say throw...but i only concern myself with self defense...so i am skewed to that end.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Is Na submit?

I thought it was catch, hold or lock?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i thot it meant to lock/break...i dunno tho i no speakie
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Maybe 嗆了 (Qiāng le / choke out) lol...

giyf
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The division (definition?) isn't working for me. I understand looking at throws and submissions separately...but how can wrestling be separated from submissions (or throws)? All that's left is rolling around aimlessly...

standing grappling with strikes, control and finish baby

failing that subs

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    A question for all you Chinese grapplers or grapplers in general. What do you feel is more important, throw or submit. Yes, I know both are important, I want to know which you feel is more beneficial to be better at. Please don't turn this into a Kung Fu has no grappling or Chin Na is not the same as BJJ, most all of usrecongnize that yes, Chin Na does not compare to BJJ or Judo Newaza in regards to submission. Just looking for opinions. Personally I feel for street self defense throws and wrestling are of more importance. However, for MMA competition I believe submission work to be more important. Thoughts?
    That is a tough one dude...the Judoka in me says Throw but the BJJ in me say submit.
    Both are of equal value of course, the situation will dictate which one is prioritized or best suited.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Is Na submit?

I thought it was catch, hold or lock?
    Just trying to put the Chinese flavor on it.

Catch, hold, lock could be construed as submit. Most Chin Na I have learned was a lock, choke, or break used to incapacitate someone, or make them submit, which is what I was getting at.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is a tough one dude...the Judoka in me says Throw but the BJJ in me say submit.
    Both are of equal value of course, the situation will dictate which one is prioritized or best suited.
    This is the kind of answer I was looking for. Most of us would agree that both are important, but which is better in your eyes and why. I love rolling and working submissions, but I prefer throws and takedowns, also love doing clinch work.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    The division (definition?) isn't working for me. I understand looking at throws and submissions separately...but how can wrestling be separated from submissions (or throws)? All that's left is rolling around aimlessly...
    They can and are seperated. That doesn't mean they are ignored or not worked, just certain styles don't work them as much. BJJ concentrates much more on groundwork and submission and not as much on throws and takedowns as compared to most Judo and wrestling. The opposite effect can be said of Judo or wrestling's submissions. I am not making a blanket statement here, as I know there are exceptions but generally speaking this is how it is.

Hey Iron,
    It was the 'throwing/wrestling or submission' that confused me...No questions if I ignore the '/wrestling' bit.

That said, both important and situational. However, for me submission is more important because my throws always turn into rolls or trips...which are good to set up a submission, but no good for taking someone out by themselves.

people get up from throws all the time, no one gets up from being choked out