Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lay Fut versus Wing Chun?

Post Choy Lay Fut versus Wing Chun?

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but after skimming more than one thread regarding the topic of Choy Lay Fut vs. Wing Chun while browsing the forum I felt the urge to offer my opinion on the subject of "style vs. style" here. Having been exposed quite extensively to both the Fong Yuk Shu lineage of CLF and Wong Shun Leung’s method of VT and having some practical experience in other methods of combat, I find rather than debating on what method is "better", it is more efficient to understand whatever method one is studying by scrutinizing the method's strategies in reaching the (imho) "universal" goal of incapacitating an opponent. Different approaches to the same goal do not necessarily make one approach better than another. Using different approaches and strategies to attack an opponent requires different methods of power generation to back up the different structures of each method’s specific attacks. Rather than treating each “style” of fighting as a pseudo-religion (where faith is more important than logic), one is better served by scrutinizing a method’s approach to combat by means of their specific strategies and concepts through realistic training and critical reasoning.

The Choy Lay Fut method uses a wider base and generates power for its circular strikes from the planting of the foot opposite to the fist attack and the torque generated by the shift (mainly but not exclusively) in the hips, waist, and shoulders. Moving the pivot (a point around which torque is generated) though manipulating body structure (i.e. stance) will also manipulate the lines and angles from which your attack can travel to your intended target. The position of the fist in relation to the pivot in this type of attack results in greater impact, though it tends to leave the practitioner somewhat vulnerable to more direct counter-attacks, which is why a CLF practitioner is taught to set up the attack with a more direct one (this often done through the use of a ‘Chop Chue’ - a technique similar in use to a lead jab in boxing) and the use of combinations to attack the target from different angles and lines in direct succession, plus using specific methods of entry.

The following videos illustrate how Choy Lay Fut is practiced and incorporated into SanDa at my family’s martial arts academy in Chicago (demonstrated by my kung fu brother). Incorporated into SanDa or not, the lines, angles, and specific CLF structures should be immediately recognizable by practitioners of CLF from any branch or lineage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGd4nZIMsFg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvaGRDkBCec

Once understood, concepts and techniques of any method should be drilled under progressively greater pressure.

The following video shows a sparring drill (done by my CLF kung-fu brothers at my family's martial arts academy in Chicago) focusing on moving in and out of range and using the ‘Chop Chue’ to attack and to set up further attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2orHZClUUs

The following videos illustrate how Wing Chun practitioners (as practiced by myself and my students) drills the concepts of directness in attack and efficiency in motion thru ‘chi-sau’ - a drill specific to the structure and strategy of the Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) method. The Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) method uses a relatively narrower base and structure that proposes the use of linear attacks toward an opponent’s center of gravity employing the most direct line and acute angle possible as the current combat situation dictates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLd3PPCSdw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEsRyWuqDMs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzienY-LRJM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-LN9kNA7s

The following is a 2-round sparring session between an intermediate level CLF student and an intermediate level VT student at my family’s academy. Though by no means perfect, I believe the practitioners of both methods were, at several points in the practice session, able to successfully assert the concepts and strategies that they have practiced respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6BxUFlx1ZE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAdOaCLBQk

From what I’ve been taught and what I have discovered through practical experience, differences in methodology don’t necessarily equal to a method being “better or worse” than another, but it really amounts to how well educated the practitioner is in his/her preferred method of combat. Thus, the focus should never really be how one should fight any other specific method (though having true working knowledge of your opponent’s preferred fighting method will offer an advantage, it is often difficult to foresee your opponent’s preferred fighting method in advance), it is far more efficient to fully educate yourself on your chosen method of combat’s most suited range and devise practical ways (from the method’s core combat strategies and concepts) to deal with attacks and strategies from all possible ranges.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Philip Ng
    Last edited by straightblast5; 03-12-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Well, to learn how the other system "works" you have to study it for yourself. Not offer a fake imitation of that style, and throw it at others and yourself. That is not a true representation.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

it is far more efficient to fully educate yourself on your chosen method of combat’s most suited range and devise practical ways (from the method’s core combat strategies and concepts) to deal with attacks and strategies from all possible ranges

This is something that would be of benifit for many to consider before they begin training and adopting other methods than the ones they currently study.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

If you watch the 2 round sparring vids, you see the major problem with VT people, their stuck in static stances, using the short methods from far away (black guy with no shirt), the other guy (white guy with shirt, not sure if he's using CLF or not??), is fighting with long range set up from long range and low and behold it works, lol.

My advice to black guy, forget about your man/wu sau guard/square set up, adapt a more traditional boxing type set up, jab from the outside, secure the shorter range and use your VT tools that you obviously have. Your partner is obviously aware of the VT tactics, and is staying just outside your range if you stay in the frame, drop it, use longer range tactics then come in.

In the end, like said in the OT, it's up to the individual, training only goes so far, some are just better fighters, some better technicians, some better teachers.

James

GRAB HIS FINGERS. TWIST. GAME OVER.

-jo

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    Well, to learn how the other system "works" you have to study it for yourself.
    agreed, but many martial arts "systems" or methods share certain universal combat concepts based upon the system's preferred range due to the fact that there really is a finite way to successfully fight with 2 hands and 2 feet. Cross-training with someone who truly understands their preferred fighting method's strategies will definately widen one's perspective on the different types of strategies out there, but I feel its more important to understand certain universal combat concepts and particular strategies for each possible range and focus on using what you know best to deal with the current combat situation.

Not offer a fake imitation of that style, and throw it at others and yourself. That is not a true representation.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by straightblast5 View Post
    agreed, but many martial arts "systems" or methods share certain universal combat concepts based upon the system's preferred range due to the fact that there really is a finite way to successfully fight with 2 hands and 2 feet. Cross-training with someone who truly understands their preferred fighting method's strategies will definately widen one's perspective on the different types of strategies out there, but I feel its more important to understand certain universal combat concepts and particular strategies for each possible range and focus on using what you know best to deal with the current combat situation.
    Ultimately, I think that as far as individual skills go, we can only perform as "human being."

For learning purposes, we need a proper "system" and a "curriculum"

I prefer dividing up the system like MMA, we focus on "long-range, mid-range, close-range, clinch-range, then ground-fighting." You can also add "throw" as separate I think, but that is performed in clinching/grappling range.

CLF's strategy prefer to dictate and dominate the "middle range" while WCK prefer to dictate the "short-range" but I think just before "clinch-range." It is difficult for me to get in to "grappling range" on one good friend of mine who study WCK (he also posts here). Granted, he outweighs me by about 30 lbs or so, but still, I think this is what WCK should excel at. Both repelling, and containing within that range. My experience with WCK has also had many positives, not just negative like some people think.

I think some people prefer to call it "trapping range" also.

CLF needs distance to generate power and momentum. This is why we must learn close range fighting, infighting boxing, or clinching and grappling, shuai jiao, etc. It is also to keep ourselves "away" from the range we do not prefer.
    Last edited by Violent Designs; 03-12-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    If you watch the 2 round sparring vids, you see the major problem with VT people, their stuck in static stances, using the short methods from far away (black guy with no shirt), the other guy (white guy with shirt, not sure if he's using CLF or not??), is fighting with long range set up from long range and low and behold it works, lol.

My advice to black guy, forget about your man/wu sau guard/square set up, adapt a more traditional boxing type set up, jab from the outside, secure the shorter range and use your VT tools that you obviously have. Your partner is obviously aware of the VT tactics, and is staying just outside your range if you stay in the frame, drop it, use longer range tactics then come in.

In the end, like said in the OT, it's up to the individual, training only goes so far, some are just better fighters, some better technicians, some better teachers.

James
    Thank you for your input, your advice is definitely noted. However, as my Sifu Wong Shun Leung had stated from his experiences (and I find this to be true through my own experiences also), it is best not to throw any attacks until your opponent is within one step (in other words, within reach of the Ving Tsun practitioner). If your opponent wishes to strike at you he has to get within striking range as well. And several times in the session I posted above one can see the VT practitioner intercept the CLF practitioner while he was in range to unload a series of strikes that would in all likelihood incapacitate or severely injure his opponent if not for the safety equipment (and obviously, vice versa).

Just as 'chi-sau' is a drill to improve attributes and proper VT structure for a real fight rather than the exercise being a real fighting situation itself, a sparring session is similar in that its purpose is to train attributes and to assert the concepts and principles that one has previously learned under controlled pressure, which should not be mistaken as the exact chain of events that happens in the chaos of a real combat encounter.

It is also interesting that you were able to discern the CLF's fighter's strategy of level changing and setting up his attacks with his 'chop chue' (as stated in my first post) by observation. Your accurate observation is probably based on your knowledge of what happens in particular ranges and certain universal combat principles that you can apply when you practice (rather than having to learn CLF itself to make that observation). This, in a way, reinforces my point that it is far more efficient to fully educate yourself on your chosen method of combat’s most suited range and devise practical ways (from the method’s core combat strategies and concepts) to deal with attacks and strategies from all possible ranges.

Thanks again for the input and discussion.

Philip -

I think one important thing to note, and while I do agree with what you said, it is still vital to eventually "experience" the range or position you are not comfortable with.

We can theorize and strategize with our system's (in this case CLF) preferred concept and techniques. But thinking is different from doing, and doing with another CLF guy when you want to train against say short-fist style strategy, or Muay Thai style strategy who is attempting to emulate, versus the real thing.

But you are spot on, when we DO test ourselves against things alien to us, we should be applying attack and counterattack from within our chosen method, first and foremost.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post

-jo
    sometimes it is that easy, but for the times that it's not, it's best to educate yourself on what happens when "game over" doesn't happen as easily as you might have imagined.
    Last edited by straightblast5; 03-12-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Philip -

I think one important thing to note, and while I do agree with what you said, it is still vital to eventually "experience" the range or position you are not comfortable with.

We can theorize and strategize with our system's (in this case CLF) preferred concept and techniques. But thinking is different from doing, and doing with another CLF guy when you want to train against say short-fist style strategy, or Muay Thai style strategy who is attempting to emulate, versus the real thing.

But you are spot on, when we DO test ourselves against things alien to us, we should be applying attack and counterattack from within our chosen method, first and foremost.
    I completely agree. Thank you for your input and discussion.

For me,

I think CLF is a much better training compare with most VT today.
    CLF is also much more practical and have the body train well.

VT is not everyone's game at 1850. it is an art for advance player when an inch is too much to loose. it is an art playing with momentum after one has a good foundation.

I personally think that linear, center line, chain punch stuff like in the movie is an invention of Ip Man suit for the Hong Kong period of VT development.

real life has no shape or form, as it says strike could be deliver from any joints and distance unbounded by shape/form. center line, chain punch, forward intention.... are shape and form which is the AID of the training but not the result of the training. Trying to fight like the AID of the training is a kiss of death in real life -- meaning can only handle thing in a specific way and blind in the rest ways.

People say, VT has no form, no dragon, no tiger, but very human and flow. Well, that is not true. those YJKYM those trade mark chain punch those bong sau.... those are form and very fix form.

Again, the true no form is " stike could be deliver from any joints and distance unbounded by shape/form" comes accept goes return......
    VT is just a concept applicable for advance players can be in any style/system.

having train in VT and some CLF, for me today, my view is they are just different way of playing with momentum. both are good. my goal is " stike could be deliver from any joints and distance unbounded by shape/form" the rest is excessive.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-13-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post

-jo
    aw, c'mon jo. you know not all WCK players hold their hands out there like that....
    from what I hear, certain WCK Sifus teach their mon sau closer in, specifically from their dealings with other certain CLF guys.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Thank you for your input, your advice is definitely noted. However, as my Sifu Wong Shun Leung had stated from his experiences (and I find this to be true through my own experiences also), it is best not to throw any attacks until your opponent is within one step (in other words, within reach of the Ving Tsun practitioner). If your opponent wishes to strike at you he has to get within striking range as well. And several times in the session I posted above one can see the VT practitioner intercept the CLF practitioner while he was in range to unload a series of strikes that would in all likelihood incapacitate or severely injure his opponent if not for the safety equipment (and obviously, vice versa).

Just as 'chi-sau' is a drill to improve attributes and proper VT structure for a real fight rather than the exercise being a real fighting situation itself, a sparring session is similar in that its purpose is to train attributes and to assert the concepts and principles that one has previously learned under controlled pressure, which should not be mistaken as the exact chain of events that happens in the chaos of a real combat encounter.

It is also interesting that you were able to discern the CLF's fighter's strategy of level changing and setting up his attacks with his 'chop chue' (as stated in my first post) by observation. Your accurate observation is probably based on your knowledge of what happens in particular ranges and certain universal combat principles that you can apply when you practice (rather than having to learn CLF itself to make that observation). This, in a way, reinforces my point that it is far more efficient to fully educate yourself on your chosen method of combat’s most suited range and devise practical ways (from the method’s core combat strategies and concepts) to deal with attacks and strategies from all possible ranges.

Thanks again for the input and discussion.
    Hi Phillip,

I teach/train WSLVT as well. My favorite quote of WSL was "Don't be a slave to the system", that tells me allot. Since hearing that and having the ability to train in his system, I've come to realize that VT is just about training, creating good habits, correcting mistakes, building structure and mechanics. The vast majority of the training is two man drills with prolonged contact, anything outside of that for me is just training timing, distancing and perception, so for me the sparring in those vids is outside of the VT training IMO.

Just so you know, I wasn't knocking the VT guys performance, he had great punches, structure, was fast and powerful, it is just the timing of it all, but if that was something specific being worked on then I can see your points.

To me it's all about being natural, the training has to effect your natural responses, make things tighter, more accurate and powerful. I just see too many video's where VT people are trying to display the style, the things they do in training, which creates robots and mechanical movements. If there's no bridge contact, no one should know your a VT man

James

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but after skimming more than one thread regarding the topic of Choy Lay Fut vs. Wing Chun while browsing the forum I felt the urge to offer my opinion on the subject of "style vs. style" here. Having been exposed quite extensively to both the Fong Yuk Shu lineage of CLF and Wong Shun Leung’s method of VT and having some practical experience in other methods of combat, I find rather than debating on what method is "better", it is more efficient to understand whatever method one is studying by scrutinizing the method's strategies in reaching the (imho) "universal" goal of incapacitating an opponent. Different approaches to the same goal do not necessarily make one approach better than another. Using different approaches and strategies to attack an opponent requires different methods of power generation to back up the different structures of each method’s specific attacks. Rather than treating each “style” of fighting as a pseudo-religion (where faith is more important than logic), one is better served by scrutinizing a method’s approach to combat by means of their specific strategies and concepts through realistic training and critical reasoning.

The Choy Lay Fut method uses a wider base and generates power for its circular strikes from the planting of the foot opposite to the fist attack and the torque generated by the shift (mainly but not exclusively) in the hips, waist, and shoulders. Moving the pivot (a point around which torque is generated) though manipulating body structure (i.e. stance) will also manipulate the lines and angles from which your attack can travel to your intended target. The position of the fist in relation to the pivot in this type of attack results in greater impact, though it tends to leave the practitioner somewhat vulnerable to more direct counter-attacks, which is why a CLF practitioner is taught to set up the attack with a more direct one (this often done through the use of a ‘Chop Chue’ - a technique similar in use to a lead jab in boxing) and the use of combinations to attack the target from different angles and lines in direct succession, plus using specific methods of entry.

The following videos illustrate how Choy Lay Fut is practiced and incorporated into SanDa at my family’s martial arts academy in Chicago (demonstrated by my kung fu brother). Incorporated into SanDa or not, the lines, angles, and specific CLF structures should be immediately recognizable by practitioners of CLF from any branch or lineage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGd4nZIMsFg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvaGRDkBCec

Once understood, concepts and techniques of any method should be drilled under progressively greater pressure.

The following video shows a sparring drill (done by my CLF kung-fu brothers at my family's martial arts academy in Chicago) focusing on moving in and out of range and using the ‘Chop Chue’ to attack and to set up further attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2orHZClUUs

The following videos illustrate how Wing Chun practitioners (as practiced by myself and my students) drills the concepts of directness in attack and efficiency in motion thru ‘chi-sau’ - a drill specific to the structure and strategy of the Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) method. The Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) method uses a relatively narrower base and structure that proposes the use of linear attacks toward an opponent’s center of gravity employing the most direct line and acute angle possible as the current combat situation dictates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLd3PPCSdw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEsRyWuqDMs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzienY-LRJM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-LN9kNA7s

The following is a 2-round sparring session between an intermediate level CLF student and an intermediate level VT student at my family’s academy. Though by no means perfect, I believe the practitioners of both methods were, at several points in the practice session, able to successfully assert the concepts and strategies that they have practiced respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAdOaCLBQk

From what I’ve been taught and what I have discovered through practical experience, differences in methodology don’t necessarily equal to a method being “better or worse” than another, but it really amounts to how well educated the practitioner is in his/her preferred method of combat. Thus, the focus should never really be how one should fight any other specific method (though having true working knowledge of your opponent’s preferred fighting method will offer an advantage, it is often difficult to foresee your opponent’s preferred fighting method in advance), it is far more efficient to fully educate yourself on your chosen method of combat’s most suited range and devise practical ways (from the method’s core combat strategies and concepts) to deal with attacks and strategies from all possible ranges.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Philip Ng
    Good post. Say what I say almost verbatim. Your training reminds me of training "back in the day". Good stuff.
    I believe that the individual practitioner makes the fight. But I will say that a good CLF fighter will give the average WC fighter a really hard time. The VT/WC charging in chain punches can be taken advantage of by CLF.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 03-13-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr