Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Different kind of muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sam Bo jin is the heart of SPM, muck like sanchin is of Goju and sanjian is of white crane.
    You can Jik Bo from Pak Mei as well to that group.

Its SPM has interested me over the years because the result is a lot like Pak Mei, but the training is different. SPM uses much more dynamic tension, which we use almost nil.

The end result in the issuance of power, the Faat Ging generated in a short, direct manner is driven from core muscles.

I think all of those aforementioned exercises train that similar skill? I find the form exposes you to the skill, then you begin to learn how to use it in an ad lib manner, as the situation dictates in your other training categories.

Now, psychologically, you can overlay all kinds of visualisation, different energies, ferocity, I suppose even channelling ancestors, and like any psychological focus, it becomes an advantage. People explain things to themselves in the manner of their own choosing because it works for them.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    You can Jik Bo from Pak Mei as well to that group.

Its SPM has interested me over the years because the result is a lot like Pak Mei, but the training is different. SPM uses much more dynamic tension, which we use almost nil.

The end result in the issuance of power, the Faat Ging generated in a short, direct manner is driven from core muscles.

I think all of those aforementioned exercises train that similar skill? I find the form exposes you to the skill, then you begin to learn how to use it in an ad lib manner, as the situation dictates in your other training categories.

Now, psychologically, you can overlay all kinds of visualisation, different energies, ferocity, I suppose even channelling ancestors, and like any psychological focus, it becomes an advantage. People explain things to themselves in the manner of their own choosing because it works for them.
    Some SPM uses dynamic tension, those that were closer to the temple and the original hakka hand use a lot less, so those close to the source are more like bak mei (since some argue the original Mantis comes from a common hakka art that predates the temple and that the temple didn’t create but refined the hand, and since CLC was also said to have trained in a hakka art before forming Pak Mei this makes sense)

Of course many ways to skin a cat, tai chi doesn’t use dynamic tension or rib power in the way certain SPM does, they don’t use float sink swallow spit either, yet arrive at the same point, boxers also don’t any of that stuff but can still drop you from touching distance and unlike a lot of internal arts can show this in action in a real fight

That for me is the real issue people talk about internal power, short range power etc but when you see it demo’d its either static against a non moving opponent, and even worse more often than not shown as a push

If you can show it as a strike dropping the opponent, not pushing him backwards but actually dropping him straight down, and even better when he is trying to hit you back then I would be impressed

Boxing may be external according to some, but the fact is they can show real short range power in action (of course of course the real internal is hard to find and hidden…makes you wonder why its worth looking for sometimes) and if you don’t want to show it, they why bother talking about it?

You don't see a lot of short power in boxing simply because the gloves cause the power to be delivered in a different way.
    While typical Southern short hand delivers the power with the elbows in FRONT of the body, in boxing it is done with them by the side or "almost" in front, Tyson was a prime example, as was Marciano, Louis and even Ali.
    In MT you can see more if it in regards to the elbows.

It is trained differently on the surface, obviously boxing doesn't use prearranged forms, typically it is developed on the pads and HB, but it isn't in every boxers arsenal, just as it isn't in every TCMA arsenal.
    If you are not going to fight in a way that "needs" short power, you don't have to develop it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You don't see a lot of short power in boxing simply because the gloves cause the power to be delivered in a different way.
    While typical Southern short hand delivers the power with the elbows in FRONT of the body, in boxing it is done with them by the side or "almost" in front, Tyson was a prime example, as was Marciano, Louis and even Ali.
    In MT you can see more if it in regards to the elbows.

It is trained differently on the surface, obviously boxing doesn't use prearranged forms, typically it is developed on the pads and HB, but it isn't in every boxers arsenal, just as it isn't in every TCMA arsenal.
    If you are not going to fight in a way that "needs" short power, you don't have to develop it.
    As I said many ways to skin a cat, the fact is boxers have it and can show it in action…….does every boxer have it no, I don’t I can generate it with the elbow but in close boxing is not my area of expertise (although a lad I taught once broke a guys ribs in a bar fight only moving a few inches lol) , I prefer clinch and hitting, however it still stands that for all the talk of internal and short power the only examples we can post (other than demo’s and pushing) ARE from boxing

Good point about the elbow positioning, in the hakka and southern short hand work I did the elbow was nearly always centre and pointed down…although some of the southern dragon I did have the elbow up and to the side (its way of generating power at the stage I trained it was different to the other southern arts though and I didn’t get to the stage of short range striking with that art)……is that due to the lack of gloves, or the propensity to always covers the centre in those arts do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    As I said many ways to skin a cat, the fact is boxers have it and can show it in action…….does every boxer have it no, I don’t I can generate it with the elbow but in close boxing is not my area of expertise (although a lad I taught once broke a guys ribs in a bar fight only moving a few inches lol) , I prefer clinch and hitting, however it still stands that for all the talk of internal and short power the only examples we can post (other than demo’s and pushing) ARE from boxing

Good point about the elbow positioning, in the hakka and southern short hand work I did the elbow was nearly always centre and pointed down…although some of the southern dragon I did have the elbow up and to the side (its way of generating power at the stage I trained it was different to the other southern arts though and I didn’t get to the stage of short range striking with that art)……is that due to the lack of gloves, or the propensity to always covers the centre in those arts do you think?
    The elbows being up "in front" is done to protect the center and the spleen and liver, notice how the elbow protected them far better to frontal, inside attacks that way?
    As such the force needed to be generated from that "guard" as opposed to the modern boxing guard, but even in the classical boxing guard you see the elbows more in and the arms more extended.

SPM and most Hakka systems tend to not do as many hooks and uppercuts so the elbows STAYINg in front is consistent with the typcial PE strikes, palm strikes, hammerfists and knife hands they tend to prefer, not to mention the clawing and grabbing.

SInce western boxing started to use more hooks and uppercuts, the elbows naturaly started to "come back" more.

The elbows being up "in front" is done to protect the center and the spleen and liver, notice how the elbow protected them far better to frontal, inside attacks that way?
    As such the force needed to be generated from that "guard" as opposed to the modern boxing guard, but even in the classical boxing guard you see the elbows more in and the arms more extended.

SPM and most Hakka systems tend to not do as many hooks and uppercuts so the elbows STAYINg in front is consistent with the typcial PE strikes, palm strikes, hammerfists and knife hands they tend to prefer, not to mention the clawing and grabbing.

SInce western boxing started to use more hooks and uppercuts, the elbows naturaly started to "come back" more.
    Yep great for protecting the centre and for fighting other like minded arts, not too great against hooks and overhands, and in my experience that extended guard and elbows in position is not that great against head hunters who throw combinations, but you have more experience than me so probable can make it work better in that environment

Interestingly my MMA coach teaches elbows in and down when using small MMA gloves or going bar handed, and keep the elbows down until extension……….way to much space to get in the body without big gloves on, but he also teaches fists or hands on the head NOT extended due to the perspicuity for head hunting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    the elbow was nearly always centre and pointed down…
    Another advantage to keep your elbow "centre and pointed down" is, your oponent cannot punch you between your arms and he can only punch you on both sides of your arms. This will give you a chance to do your "arm wrapping" as shown in the following clip at 2.45 - 2.50?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaLvcM-u4ns
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-07-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Another advantage to keep your elbow "centre and pointed down" is, your oponent cannot punch you between your arms and he can only punch you on both sides of your arms. This will give you a chance to do your "arm wrapping" as shown in the following clip at 2.45 - 2.50?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaLvcM-u4ns
    ok.................

The elbows in and down does provide better body protection but opens the head a bit as Frost mentioned.

Learning to fight with this posture requires mobility, beyond standing toe to toe with a boxer, and likewise, the ability to 'go under' those high strikes. Just 'assuming the position' without understanding bridge fighting will probably land you a couple of shots to the upper eyebrow or temple.

Good posture brings the deltoids up to protect the jaw, and the arms extend more, being that you don't have to 'chamber' to throw a punch. This messes with a boxer's sense of range a bit, if they are not used to seeing it.

Those extended hands, bridge, jam and sideslip the opponent, as well as strike.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-30-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Congrats!

You must have made her train tree hanging when she was little

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Pole dancing?
    Dude....