Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lay Fut Sap Ji Kau Da Kuen

Choy Lay Fut Sap Ji Kau Da Kuen

I posted this in response to a question on another thread but I thought this set might be worthy of it's own topic since it is a major set in the Choy Lay Fut system.

This is the Sap ji kau da from my lineage, we actually call it Dai kau Da kuen as we have a "small" and "large" version. I've seen alot of versions of this form and they all seem to be very similar. feel free to compare the similarities and differences of this version to your own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblXq...el_video_title
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Shaolin D, can you remind me where the Hung Gar hands come from in this set? Fut San Hung Sing doesn't use those hands at all. jusy curious did fong yu shu have anything to do with that form?

I am sure there were some alterations made to it over the course of the past 5 generations. I do not know who specifically added the kiu sau portion in the begining. I did know that that portion was going to raise some questions because i have not personally seen anyone else do it like that. It seems usually it's a tiger claw

I believe Fong Yuk Shu has made changes to other forms. Our siu moi fah for instance appears to be unique to his lineage.

Interesting to note how open minded he seemed to be about training and adopting other methods that addressed issues that he felt needed to be addressed. The evdience suggests that he was mostly concerned with improving his own fighting skills not with maintaining any kind of purity in the system.
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 03-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    That was totally different from the kau da form that I learned & my CLF lineage is also from Fong Yuk Shu as well.

interesting, I have also noticed that some of Chan kin man's forms are different as well.

mano mano, do you have siu kau da and dai kau da?

This is fairly similar to mine up to a certain point
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qeF...el_video_title

The Lee Koon hung version has several sequences that are found in ours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pHrSudtUis
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 03-14-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks for continuing to post stuff that benefits CLF while the rest of us act like little *****es.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Did you just shorten it to Siu Kau Dah and Dai Kau Dah or is that how it is always referred to in your lineage?

Just curious as buk sing was the only one I have heard use Kau Dah as a set name. They have Sup Gee Kuen and Kau Dah Kuen.

For others you generally hear Sup Gee Kow Da Kuen sometimes Dai Sup Gee Kow Dah and Siu Sup Gee Kuen for a short version.

Your set is similar to ours but ours may be a little longer unless you cut yours a bit for the clip.

My sifu once told me the full name of this one is dai sup ji kau da kuen. Since it's a pain in the ass to say, we just say Dai Kau Da kuen.

I notcied that some of the sequences in the Lee koon hung version that aren't in our dai kau da are in our siu kau da.

The one in this clip is the full version

Thanks for continuing to post stuff that benefits CLF while the rest of us act like little *****es
    LOL! Feel free to add some input. Let's class this joint up!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    interesting, I have also noticed that some of Chan kin man's forms are different as well.

mano mano, do you have siu kau da and dai kau da?

This is fairly similar to mine up to a certain point
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qeF...el_video_title

The Lee Koon hung version has several sequences that are found in ours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pHrSudtUis
    we just have 1 form sup ji kau da.

Blog Entries
    originally posted by: clfnole
    just curious as buk sing was the only one I have heard use Kau Dah as a set name. They have Sup Gee Kuen and Kau Dah Kuen.
    The three of the 5 mainstream forms of the Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon are Sup Gee, Kau Da, and Ping Kuen. Buk sing's Kau Da and Ping kuen and Sup Ji came from Hung Sing.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

So fut san hung sing doesn't have sup gee kow dah? I remember a long long time ago you mentioned something with Jeurng Yim doing sup gee kow dah.

Blog Entries
    Since we have our own Sup Ji kau Da kuen i haven't paid attention if Fut San does have one. I do know they have Sup Ji, Kau Da and Ping Kuen. Cheung Kuen is the other one. And the drunken form may be the fifth of the five general forms. I do think Sup Ji Kau Da came a little later.

i know ours came a little later as Lau Bun didn't see the sense in having three different forms containing the same exact techniques in them.

Abou Jeung Yim doing sup ji kau da, if i actually said something it must have been from Alex..i forget his last name.....but his website mentioned Jeung Yim looking like a tornado when doing that form or something to that effect. the only forms i mentioned from jeung yim would have been the In and out bagua form from Ching Cho and the Drunken form Jeung Yim used often.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-14-2011 at 01:24 PM.

The information about Jeung Yim doing sup ji kau da came from an old Chinese language martial arts magazine.

Blog Entries
    The information about Jeung Yim doing sup ji kau da came from an old Chinese language martial arts magazine.
    According to the information from fut san, Sup Ji, Kau da, and Ping Kuen were created by Chan Ngau Sing. He is said to have broken up the In and Out Bagua Kuen from Ching Cho which was said to contain 1080 moves in it. Chan Sing felt he needed to break it up for the newer generations who were more impatient than the previous ones.

[QUOTE=CLFNole;1083342]Just curious as buk sing was the only one I have heard use Kau Dah as a set name. They have Sup Gee Kuen and Kau Dah Kuen.QUOTE]

The Tibetan White Crane I learned also has a Kau Da Kyuhn--totally unlike BSCLF's version. I wonder how many other systems used the name?
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity