Thread: Pancrase

Pancrase

Let me say right off the bat, I'm not a huge fan of watching combat sports, in that I don't follow them and don't know who's who on the rosters and all that. This is mostly due to the fact that I find UFC really boring to watch (I blame the format and the editing, not the fighters). So, I don't have a lot of insight to what's going on in that world at the moment.

I'm bringing up Pancrase for one reason: the timing under the old rules. One 15-minute round, and that's it (30-min for title). I really, really liked that format. It just seemed so natural. It felt like "hey, let's not clutter the fight or complicate things...you two, get in the ring and fight. We're declaring a winner in 15 min if you're both still standing".

Why is this not a more prevalent thing? I would think editing would take care of the "people at home missing the action" thing. I suppose the only reason I could think of is that, if neither fighter is particularly interesting to watch, the lack of a "reset" to break the action would hurt.

Thoughts?

Oh, and another thing I liked about Pancrase was no gloves (though no closed-fist head strikes), but I can see why that's not a more common rule.
    Last edited by Punch.HeadButt; 03-14-2011 at 06:00 PM.