Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Songshan Shaolin Champion

Yang Chengjun's routine

You can see the form that won this year's Songshan Shaolin competition here:Yang Chengjun

The 2012 Champions

1st place: Yang Chengjun

2nd place: Yu Zhenlong

3rd place: Chris Shephard

Congratulations again to our winners!
    amitoufo!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The article is published.

The Long Fist of the Emperor - Shaolin Special 2013

The next Songshan Shaolin Champion will be determined at the Tiger Claw Elite Championship on June 1, 2013 in San Jose, CA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Congratulaions to Shaolin Rasta!

In the biggest upset of the weekend, Chris Shepherd won the title of Songshan Shaolin Champion for 2013.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Why? because he wasn't an Asian.

Man you are so racist at this magazine.

NAACP thanks you
    Last edited by ngokfei; 06-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.

I like some salt on my cracker.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Why aren't the foreigners put into the foreigners' division the proper way like they do in China?

Eric, come on now...what IS your issue?

You think I'm racist? I have mixed blood and married outside my 'race'. You gotta watch yo mouth, byoy. Chris is a good friend of mine. The notion that I'd be racist against him is absolutely absurd.

Chris went up against Yu Zhenlong, who won our WildAid Tiger Claw Championship this year. Sure, Yu is Chinese, but he also is a top-notch competitor and a master who owns his own brick-and-mortar school. Yu was born in Henan, trained from childhood at Taguo, a youth champion of Henan Province who captured the all-around in the 1999 nationals in Beijing. He was a member of the Henan professional team and toured professionally around the world. He is 24 and still in his prime.

Chris is a devout student who learned the form off our DVD, which he won last year. He doesn't have a direct Shaolin teacher because there are none in his area. He's a grandfather. And his grip slipped with his first pass at the beginning of the form.

When you see the videos, maybe you'll understand what happened.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene isn't a racist, he's just a little grumpy from time to time

me, on the other hand, I hate everyone.....

and on that note
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

okay maybe Racist is too strong a term but he and the magazine are definetly biased and discriminate against Non-Asians for equal coverage in the magazine.
    yeah I give Gene alot of grief because he assumes the representative role of the magazine even though he doesn't own it.
    And I guess he can't openly say anything against his employer

So if you had said Upset due to technical foul then possibly I wouldn't have come on so strong but......

so who's this guy on the cover? Another OTB nobody who probably is going to be a guest instructor at Gene's old teacher tony Chen's school.
    Another fluff article by Gene. perhaps he should have the nickname "Fluffer".

Ah Freedom of speech is great, I'll probably get banned here as well. I say it like I see it. Like it don't like it, I don't care either way.

wow, David is such a timid tiger these days marriage eh?

my, my, who spit in your bean curd, Eric?

You certainly have it out for me and the magazine. Who are you again? Would we make it better if we put you on the cover?

As for our current cover, that's Zuo Yunjian. He's a U.S. citizen, who only won gold medals for China at 12th Asian Games, 5th World Wushu Championship, 5th Asian Wushu Championship, and 3rd East Asian Games. But you might not know him as he is Chinese. If you'd like to take this up on that thread, let's do so and not sully Chris's victory anymore. He earned it. It was the call of four Shaolin monk judges. The results were re-tabulated for accuracy. There was no technical foul. They awarded it to him because they felt he was more worthy at that moment, plain and simple.

To be perfectly honest, we don't get as many submissions about non-Chinese subjects.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post

wow, David is such a timid tiger these days
    fuck you Eric

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I don't know about Gene's magazine, and these days honestly I don't have any vested interest

I DO however know for a FACT another magazine had a policy of always putting only Asians on it's covers. They said Asians sold better, sold more copies...

Was that true? Was it just a business decision? Hard numbers? Deric Mimms or Al Novak sold less copies than Ark Wong or Doc Fai Wong? I can always accept the hard numbers argument....

And if it IS the hard numbers policy, who is the "racist"? The magazine or the population (AMERICANS) who thinks only Asians can be "masters"

Grandmaster Al Novak did okay for us

It was my call to run GM Novak. I used to hang out with him, reading martial arts mags at the local newsstand, before it went bankrupt and he passed away. We never ran those other three you mentioned, so I cannot compare.

What sells well for us? Old Chinese guys with beards. Seriously.

It's true that the majority of our covers feature Chinese masters, but we don't have a policy that says we only run Chinese by any means. I can't imagine that Asian faces would sell covers better than Caucasian in American newsstands, even back when the newsstands were fat. Now, they are pretty lean, so we're completely dominated by more popular magazines and grateful to even still be out there on the racks.

We sometimes get negative reactions from our readers when we don't run Chinese masters. They argue that we are the only magazine on the newsstand to feature Chinese faces (honestly now, name the last newsstand magazine that has had a Chinese face on the cover). That's sort of the contrapositive argument, and it's not one that I'm personally propounding, it's just one that I'm putting out for argument's sake like always whenever this topic comes up.

But back on topic, back to Chris, he almost gave up first because he was so flabbergasted. I advised him not to do so. Hopefully, he'll chime in here soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

After getting my butt chewed out from numerous individuals - some I actually value their opinion - I'll admit my calling Gene a "Racist" was way out of line and so I apologize for making such a ignorant remark. There - Human I am Human I'll remain.

Nah Gene I'm not seeking to have my dog face grace any cover for any reason, took years for me to get it removed from the post office. I'm a nobody but I must of been somebody back in the day for us to be hanging out at the tournaments, banquets, etc.

I just get to sit back and see "Famous People" fall like your friend the Shaolin Monk In Spain. guess he didn't get the memo that while abstaining from Women but being able to enjoy Meat and Alcohol didn't mean he could enjoy female Meat with his alcohol.

As for the magazine your just an employee so I can't really hold you to blame for toting the company line.

Wow Dave, How'd you get that word to appear without the censors - I feel so special. - Guess you still go both ways.