Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Build bridge, cross bridge, destroy bridge

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    IMO, if your opponent moves in toward you, it will save your efford to move in toward him.
    My preference too.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The question is whether you are ready to enter at that moment or not.
    That's why the training

I have came across the purpose of sticky hand technique in a Wing Chun, Leung Teng's book that it is meant to gain advantage over the opponent in first contact. It is not meant to remain in contact with the opponent arms for long. Leung Teng also said there is a training exercise in Wing Chun that is very similar to free fight. From my recent years of sparring with live partner experience, I have come to conclude that engagement should not last for long (2 to 3 secs). One main reason is that it is dangerous to both fighters in this close distance range. So it coincides with the theology of build bridge, cross bridge, destroy bridge.

KC
    Hong Kong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    I have come to conclude that engagement should not last for long (2 to 3 secs).
    Agree!

If the entering succeed, 2 to 3 seconds is all you need. If the entering fail (such as youir opponent moves back), you have to wait for next chance.

I see it as contact of any relevance in regards to control, leverage, or balance of an opponent. Thus, conceptually it's useful, as it's not about holding forearms to each other, but any relevant contact, feeling it, knowing how to manipulate it, knowing how to stop your opponent from getting you at a disadvantage in the overall leverage game. Judo guys don't just pull counters out of their arse all the time, they have a feel for moves being attempted on them and options they have from their techniques, they certainly aren't doing things that prevent them from feeling the other guy's attempts and interpreting them, same with bjj, same with muay thai in the clinch. Bridging has become the common way for kung fu players to speak of it, it's just jargon for the same class of thing.

I agree with YKW, some form of bridging is highly advantageous for throwing. I don't know of people doing much throwing who wouldn't recognize the concept as we're talking about it.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    One called bawang, I think that action should be termed, Flirt." Whether one is afraid ofvthe contact or one is distracting-luring.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 03-31-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: beginnjngand b instead of B
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    some form of bridging is highly advantageous for throwing.
    The "bridging" can also help striking as well. In the following picture, if the guy on the left releases his left hand and upper cut his opponent's chin, the guy on the right may not be fast enough to use his right arm to deflect his opponent's strike. Especially when the guy on the left, "guides" his opponent's right arm downward, and then suddently release that grip while his opponent's right arm still carry the "downward" momentum.

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/4...stbreaking.jpg

Talk about "bridging" where the purpose is just to close the gap and make contact has always been pointless to me.

The gap will be closed and contact will be made, it is inevitable else there is no fight. So why worry about how it is done?

If I attack first, I attack with the intent of the strike. Should my opponent block, there is my contact and the force I need to keep things moving. If my opponent is aggressive, then I try and invite him to attack me and I will make contact with him when he commits. No need to give too much thought on "bridging", just fight and it will happen and so long as your sensitivity is high enough you'll change when contact is made and your kung fu can shine!

As for this business of getting in and getting back out, well to each his own. Personally if I am trying hard to get in in the first place I am going to stay there until I end the fight. Only reason I am going to get out is if he is better than me close up, at which point I will get out of dodge and fight another day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAC View Post
    No need to give too much thought on "bridging",
    It depend's on your favor finish moves. If your favor finish move is to pull your opponent head into your knee then you may want to obtain that MT clinching ASAP. In order to do so, you will need a "plan". Without plan, your opponent will lead the fight and you may have to box him for 15 rounds. With your plan, you may lead the fight and get your MT clinch within just few seconds.

The gap will be closed and contact will be made, it is inevitable else there is no fight. So why worry about how it is done?
    Again, if your favor finish move is "overhooks with headbutt" then to "set up (or achieve)" an overhook is different from to set up an underhook.

In the following clip at 2.45 - 2.50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaLvcM-u4ns
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-08-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    As for this business of getting in and getting back out, well to each his own. Personally if I am trying hard to get in in the first place I am going to stay there until I end the fight. .
    Jook Lum poem:
    "Hand to Hand,
    Heart to Heart,
    You don't Move,
    I won't start.
    But, if you Move,
    I'll Hit First,
    and I won't Stop
    Until there's Blood."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Jook Lum poem:
    "Hand to Hand,
    Heart to Heart,
    You don't Move,
    I won't start.
    But, if you Move,
    I'll Hit First,
    and I won't Stop
    Until there's Blood."
    Isn't that sung to Loverboy's "everybodys working for the weekend"?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    But, if you Move,
    I'll Hit First,
    and I won't Stop
    Until there's Blood."
    That's old Chinese saying, "出手見紅(Chu Shou Jian Hong) - If you fight, you have to see some red color".

Hand fighting, pummelling, and head movement all come under bridging. It's what happens between punching and clinching, and a construct to teach principles related to this. It's not mystical, it's not even especially unique, indeed if more kung fu people were better at it then maybe there'd be less discussion about it.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    The bridge concept was heavily used in the ancient sword fight. You touch your sword against your opponent's sword. From your sowrd contact, you can sense your opponent's intention. When the time is right, you press your opponent's sword in such a way that his sword won't cause you any trouble at that moment, you then enter and attack.

In most forms of sword fighting blade to blade contact is avoided. Historically swords were expensive and blade to blade contact typically damaged them. You also don't want to have to face a day long battle with a bent and broken sword.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Historically swords were expensive and blade to blade contact typically damaged them.
    I have a gold plated Colt 45 that I paid $750 for back in the 70th. I always keep it clean and shining and afraid to use it. Oneday my friends invited to to go to Montana for a month. I brought my stanless steel Walther PPK. My friend laughted at me and said that my Walther PPK won't do me any good if I have to deal with a full grow grizzly bear. I took my gold plated Colt 45 instead. After that trip, I understood that no matter how expensive my weapon may be, my life is much more important.