Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: defense against jabs

Phil why bring it up and not go into it? To make us jealous? lol

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    I know everyone is always worried and/or focused on either learning grappling or learning anti-grappling when doing wing chun. what would you say the simplest techniques are to be able to work against a good street boxer who keeps throwing fast jabs and pulling his hand back before it could be controlled?
    I agree with Youknowwho. Another way to deal with jabs is to intercept, stick and follow them home. This is not an exclusively Wing Chun approach as ity is used in other Internally inclined TCMAs. Also, as you can imagine, it is not an easy skill to master, as it requires a lot of sensitivity training and "listening" abilities.

Blog Entries
    If you hold your both hands into a big fist, you then hide your head behind your 2 arms. Your triangle arms posture can function as a wedge (almost like boxing guard). It can be used as both offense and defense. You can use it as rhino horn and hunt for your opponent's head. That's also a very "abnormal" TCMA fighting strategy, stupid, simple, but effective.

http://www.genxnews.com/2009/11/rhin...ier-than-gold/
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-20-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we let our opponent to enter our kicking range, that will be our fault to start with. To be able to guard our territory is the most important training in TCMA. Again, by watching our opponent's weight distributation, we can make the fight "simpler".
    Given that WCK is a close quarter combat system, why would I try to keep him outside his punching range. which coincidently is also my favorite range ?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

If we let our opponent to enter our kicking range, that will be our fault to start with. To be able to guard our territory is the most important training in TCMA. Again, by watching our opponent's weight distributation, we can make the fight "simpler".
    Then guarding against a jab becomes irrelevant.

Excellent points and the reason why i started this thread. I agree pak sao and punch would be the first and simplest answer. I was just wondering of some other methods to work against the jab.
    Pak Sau is good. Not being there is much better.

"Best way to block a punch is no be there." Mr. Myagi
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Pak Sau is good. Not being there is much better.

"Best way to block a punch is no be there." Mr. Myagi
    Against a jab? I can jab all day long, keep moving, cause if your only response is to move out of the way, you'll be tired out long before I stop jabbing. Takes less energy to throw out a jab than it does to move your entire body.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 03-21-2011 at 04:39 AM.

I know everyone is always worried and/or focused on either learning grappling or learning anti-grappling when doing wing chun. what would you say the simplest techniques are to be able to work against a good street boxer who keeps throwing fast jabs and pulling his hand back before it could be controlled?
    Personally, and I have found this to work quite well, I attack the attacker. Punching the weakspots of the jab hand and arm works better than paksau imho. Then build your attack to charge straight through the jab into the body. On the possibility of this not working, just kick the boxers lead lead so his jab can't reach you, follow through with chong kuen!

Don't waste your time trying to catch the thing unless you have caught that fly with your chopstix first!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Does nobody here remember the three step punching??? Jeeze!
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

You defend against a boxer throwing a jab using the same general idea's a boxer would use. Just using wing chun hands instead of boxing hands. Why would you do anything else? No one has more experience defending against jabs than boxers. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    You defend against a boxer throwing a jab using the same general idea's a boxer would use. Just using wing chun hands instead of boxing hands. Why would you do anything else? No one has more experience defending against jabs than boxers. Why try to reinvent the wheel?
    Interesting. My point is if you know whats coming why are you defending it at all??! Makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    Does nobody here remember the three step punching??? Jeeze!
    Dunno about that, but in LSWC we do have something known as Battle Fist! This is a great attack against the jab, especially if the boxer is quite square-on...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1084710]Interesting. My point is if you know whats coming why are you defending it at all??! Makes no sense to me.

Knowing whats coming and being able to do something about it are two totally different things.

Phil why bring it up and not go into it? To make us jealous? lol
    Good one. No, just tired of non fighters "typing" how is should be done.
    I'll put a clip of how to deal with a really fast jab here:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wckcg/
    The requirement to join this group is that you send/upload to youtube, etc., a clip of you doing WC.
    That way people who criticize and don't show how it should be done are excluded.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Good fighters don't simply jab. They stick and move. A well placed "damaging" kick at a target near the lower edge of your peripheral vision can be hard to pull off on a moving target. And if you kick him that doesn't guarantee he'll be stopped. We all including me, demonstrate something like a pak da, lop da and stop.
    In the real world one punch or kick doesn't always stop a fight. Fighters can take lots of punishment, especially with the adrenalin surge. We see fighters in the street and in the cage take all sorts of hits and still continue. So that one kick to a really fast jab may not work. Here's another scenario, you've injured your leg during a street fight and you can't kick? You'll have to use your hands to deal with the jab then.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

As a boxer I agree with all the points that have been made here and suggest that WC people do just that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !