Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum meeting in SYD

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    Yeah? Do you know if he's he still active in the IWCA? I've heard from a few people that they held strong opinions in regards to people cross training. That may have changed though.

The IWCA has strong opinions on everything

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    The IWCA has strong opinions on everything
    I know. That's one of the reasons I stopped attending classes at one of their branches. I may wind up going back there because I did like certain aspects of it, and there's very little Wing Chun around my area.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    He's one of the seven chief instructors that run the IWCA, appointed after Sifu Fung passed away. So I guess things must have changed, but I also guess to some degree as a top dog he can do what he wants.

To go with the thrust of the thread, I think most of us would or would have got into more trouble going to another WC instuctor than learning a completely different style. Then again a lot of guys have had more than one WC instructor over time. Then yet again, there's a lot of brand loyalty and protection in BJJ, with "creontes" etc.
    Ah. Fair enough. I guess he can then. I see what you mean but in reality, sharing ideas between different WC lineages (perhaps without necessarily cross training) may be useful to further understand the concepts of each lineage and the shared concepts and mechanics of WC itself.

Due to the competitive nature of a lot of schools I guess a lot of people won't 'officially' see that.

Yeh my teacher's friend run the TST/fung school in newcastle. We used to do stuff every month or so. Also with local karate, arnis, tkd etc. Toni used to come to barry's seminars etc. its ggod to see diferent approaches.
    Ive been to heaps of WSL and other schools in australia, china and hong kong. I think if you just want to learn and have fun its a great way of hearing the same things in different ways, has helped heaps to learn how t oteach different people as noone learns the same.

[QUOTE=Runlikehell;1088505]I know. That's one of the reasons I stopped attending classes at one of their branches. I may wind up going back there because I did like certain aspects of it, and there's very little Wing Chun around my area.

Hey Run, where abouts in Sydney are you? I may be able to help?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    Yeh my teacher's friend run the TST/fung school in newcastle. We used to do stuff every month or so. Also with local karate, arnis, tkd etc. Toni used to come to barry's seminars etc. its ggod to see diferent approaches.
    Ive been to heaps of WSL and other schools in australia, china and hong kong. I think if you just want to learn and have fun its a great way of hearing the same things in different ways, has helped heaps to learn how t oteach different people as noone learns the same.

Spot on Benny
    I remember when we visited all those years ago and the day was fantastic in all aspects. The 3 schools there always benefited from it.

Incidentally, Nathan and myself trained with Beau Bouazaid (ex fung senior instructor) last night and Nathan (from Central Coast Wing Chun) couldnt rate it hi enough.

Actually, if enough people were interested, id be tempted to try and organise a Sydney WC get together

GlennR

Quote Originally Posted by Runlikehell View Post
    I know. That's one of the reasons I stopped attending classes at one of their branches. I may wind up going back there because I did like certain aspects of it, and there's very little Wing Chun around my area.

Hey Run, where abouts in Sydney are you? I may be able to help?
    Liverpool area/South West Sydney

Spot on Benny
    I remember when we visited all those years ago and the day was fantastic in all aspects. The 3 schools there always benefited from it.

Incidentally, Nathan and myself trained with Beau Bouazaid (ex fung senior instructor) last night and Nathan (from Central Coast Wing Chun) couldnt rate it hi enough.

Actually, if enough people were interested, id be tempted to try and organise a Sydney WC get together

GlennR
    That would be great. There's been a lot of lineages/WC itself in the greater Sydney area (dating back to Choy Siu Kwong in the early 70's I think?). Something like this could potentially bring a lot of people from a lot of lineages together. It would be an experience to say the least.
    Last edited by Runlikehell; 04-07-2011 at 11:06 PM.

think thats were theo and fu's school is. they are top barry lee guys.

They're not far. It's a bit hard to get to for me. I'd like to check it out at some point though.

run: might also want to check here

http://www.wingchuninc.com.au/

derek was a senior inst from IWCA and use to run the livo branch. only trained when he was still there twice (the 2nd time was his day) but he seemed pretty good.

Originally posted by anerlich
    HFY is the real deal. I think the discontent with it of earlier times from some was a result of aggressive marketing by individuals who were never committed students or practitioners of the system, and an incidental ego battle between amateur historians. To suggest that TWC is merely a rebranded HFY or vice versa does justice to neither. We discussed the possibility of some relationship or shared history of the two systems briefly, but I think we both remain agnostics on the subject, despite our access to various internet pundits.
    Well said anerlich there is nothing like a cordial face to face for closing the divide of philosophy, language, culture or anything of that nature which sometimes prevents us from communicating in our most effective manner.
    If you do get the chance to visit San Francisco in the near future I am sure Alex or any of us would enjoy the opportunity to return the hospitality you so graciously extended to our brother.

Be well
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum