Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to make traditionalists and NHB fighters alike, ****ed off!

SifuAbel Guest
    No, I beleive it was braden who did, and so be it. Disprove it otherwise. This thread makes it sound like all other than nhb systems are for mirror gazing. I've done absolutely everything ryu has described IN a "traditional" art. You really should look around you before you make such sweeping statements. There is no magic bullet in kung fu; It's all hard work. Man , I must be the exception to the rule if all CMA people are just dancers. It amazing how people continue to ass-u-me things about CMA that just are not true, at least not true for everyone, without any real first hand knowledge. The only thing that "****ed me off" about this thread is the outright ignorance of it all

Its dangerous to think you are immortal.
    sifuabel@yahoo.com

Braden Guest
    "If that was the case, the NHB 'style' of fighting would not be a new phenomenum."

You're definitely going to have to elaborate on this. As I can't see any possible way this statement could be true. And it being false invalidates the rest of your argument.

Braden Guest
    Eh? What did I do now?

SevenStar Guest
    If I understood that post correctly, Braden didn't say it. He incorrectly paraphrased Ryu. Also, Nobody said NHB was the be all end all. You can do all of the things he stated in a traditional style. If I wasn't satisfied with that aspsect of CMA I would have quit already. However, many schools (once again, THAT I HAVE SEEN, and also, apparently as Braden has seen) do not utilize all, if any of the methods ryu described. That whole post was nothing more than WHAT HE FEELS about his training, and what works for him. He never downed traditional styles, not did anyone else.

"I have come to somewhat of a conclusion about myself and my training. LOL, and I'm not sure if NHB fighters or traditionalists alike will like the idea. Though I am always one to say exactly what's on my mind, regardless."

Reading is fundamental dude...

-ShortySeven©
    Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

SifuAbel Guest
    I agree, it isn't a new phenom' it's a new venue. NHB as a concept has been around forever. It wasn't invented on Pay per view.

sifuabel@yahoo.com

Braden Guest
    Cutting and pasting from an old post of mine, as I don't see how I "misphrased" anything.

>>>
    Ryu: real life fighting and self-defense holds the exact same body mechanics, ferocity, and unpredictability as you find in NHB matches.

Braden: I addressed unpredictability fairly thoroughly in my post. I addressed body mechanics indirectly in the sense that I discussed how the ideal tactical training for both should vary, and your body mechanics should form the foundation for your tactical training. That's two out of the three qualities he said were the same, and I argued were different. I can post an argument for ferocity too if you'd like.
    >>>

Ed's note: I ended up addressing ferocity too later on in the thread. That's three for three. Please show me where I 'misphrased.'

Oh yeah, that Ryu part is a direct quote, not a paraphrase.

SifuAbel Guest
    So there :p

Go twist your nipple, not our words.

sifuabel@yahoo.com

Ryu Guest
    SifuAbel,

In all honesty, I was not trying to "stereotype" NHB as being the end all. All I was saying is that for me, I personally think the method is what will work for me. And heck, that can change as well. I did not mean (nor do I think) that you cannot fight in your chosen system, or that you do not work hard, or do not have experience.
    When have I ever been the one to say that anyway? :)
    I am always trying to objectively look at my training. I know that I have experience, but I also know I am no NHB fighter. I am not claiming that "traditional" styles do not work if trained with the proper mentality. Please do not misunderstand.

However, please write down your thoughts here as I do want to hear your opinion.

Ryu

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

SevenStar Guest
    Braden, to me, that says that a street fight and NHB fighting share several similarities. Nowhere did he say that an NHB is exactly like a streetfight.

-ShortySeven©
    Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

SifuAbel Guest
    You may not have been trying, but you sure did succeed.

sifuabel@yahoo.com

Ryu Guest
    What I meant by that phrase is that the style of NHB being a way of "fighting all out in all ranges" or even sparring all out in all ranges does NOT seem to be what a lot of martial art schools had been doing in the past years. That is what I meant by a new "phenomenum". Now, I do want to clarify however, that I do not know all martial arts schools, so I cannot make a general claim like that. But I think it's safe to say that streamline martial arts before NHB did not delve into this new philosophy that much.
    If they did I did not see it. That doesn't mean they were not, but I personally did not see it, and now I am seeing it much more.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Ryu Guest
    Well if that is what you got from it I can't really do much except offer you an apology. I did not mean that. I was getting my thoughts out on my personal training in the martial arts.

I am not insulting styles here.

Ryu

Braden Guest
    "Braden, to me, that says that a street fight and NHB fighting share several similarities."

Yes, and he explicitly listed three things which he felt were such similarities. And I replied by arguing that those specific three things were in fact dramatically different in the two cases. Where's the confusion?

Braden Guest
    NHB = fighting all out in all ranges?

Well, 'fighting all out' certainly isn't a new invention. However, the idea that fights have distinct 'ranges' certainly is. Traditionally, there was just fighting, so by definition it was 'in all ranges.' Therefore, NHB as you defined it, is not a new thing.

SifuAbel Guest
    You mean mainstream, not streamlined.(stop smoking that stuff, it'll rot your brain)
    And yes I will give you that. Some,I did say some, schools are family oriented and are not fighting for realism. I cannot deny this as fact. But your post IMHO is too general and misleading.

sifuabel@yahoo.com