Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to make traditionalists and NHB fighters alike, ****ed off!

Badger Guest
    Ralek-
    Are you going to choke out a bullet?

Using your head is better than any"styles" in a self-defense situation.Use your head not to get into street fights. Of course I'm wasting my time trying to tell you anything.

Badger

Badger Guest
    The Machado Philosophy:
    We respect everyone and every style of martial arts.We share what we know and are open to new ideas.Martial arts is not about
    fighting,but about lifestyle.Harmony is our goal,hard training is our way...

shinbushi Guest

Rare but out there

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryu
    I think that it would be hard to argue, however, that "traditional" (I'm starting to hate that word ) styles do in fact train like NHB artists. If that were the case, the NHB "style" of fighting would not be a new phenomenon. [/quote]

It is not that NHB "style" of fighting is or was not around it is that the vast majority of schools in the US are Mcdojo. From owning a school (full time almost a year now :D) most people don’t want to feel pain, get bruises or injuries. Some don’t even like physical contact. The average Joe blow will sue if he gets a bad sprain or bone fracture. Look at the backlash that the UFCs got when they were on cable. In the 70’s and 80’s people started to water down training to make it mass market appeal. (In my style, there is a well-know instructor who broke off and created his own style just to do this) So now that is what everyone thinks of as MA. There are few schools that are hard-core fewer still that are professional schools. Many schools that train NHB "style” don’t like the idea of spectator matches. MA should be for fighters not some beer-belly slob. Many fight in their little unadorned dojos and if they are really good invite other style to come and fight with them so everyone’s training improves.

Ralek Guest
    Badger. I'm well aware that BJJ or NHB will not make protect you against guns, multiple opponents, ect.

SifuAble is the one who seems to not be aware of this. His reasoning for saying NHB is not realistic was to say that real fights have weapons and multiple opponents. So i asked him how the kung fu training will better prepare someone for these situations over NHB when kung fu trains far more unrealistic than NHB.

I just don't see how forms and dead drills will prepare you for all the sucker punches, knives, guns, multiple opponents. Kung fu claims to be for multiple opponents. How can kung fu beat multiple people and kives when they can't even beat one person?

NHB doesn't claim to be able to defeat multiple people/knifes/guns/ect. However NHB has knocked out the kung fu guys who claim to be street lethal multiple opponent fighting machines. If the kung fu guys can't even take on one person in a fight with rules then how will they beat multiple people?

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

SevenStar Guest
    that's exactly what we are talking about. You won't find these people in NHB schools, becuase that is not the type of training they desire. These are the schools that ryu and I are alluding to. From my experience, there are many traditional schools that are not hardcore, however we do realize that there are some that are.

http://www.xtremetaekwondo.com/bbc.asp

this page is about a "black belt club" that you can join when you get a green belt at the school. You are in the club for 24 months - when you receive your black belt. It's like a club to help you train for your black belt. This school also has kids classes that are 30 minutes long. What are you going to learn in 30 mins? the adult classes are an hour, which is about standard from my experience. they sell temporary tattoos of the school logo, and members of the black belt club get special patches. schools like these are what we are referring to. Admittedly, I have never seen on this cheesy, but have seen several that are along the same lines. far too many unfortunately

-ShortySeven&copy;
    Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Ralek Guest
    SifuAble. You said that street fighting is brutal/multiple opponenets/weapons/ect.

This reasoning makes kung fu a very bad idea to use in the street. The impractical techinques and stances will get you killed. You would be better off running away in dangerous situations like this.

apoweyn Guest
    Ryu,

I haven't read this whole thread (yet). But I wanted to tell you that this is one of the best things I've ever read on this forum.

Stuart B.

Ralek Guest
    If kung fu is so good then why do they do such impractical training? How can impractical training be good for the dangerous street?

BJJ/NHB/muy thai/boxing/ect. All have practical training. These arts will not enable you to take out 5 people and use chi power to dodge bullets. But kung fu can't do that stuff either. So train in the stuff that gives you actual fighting skills. No art gives you the tools to deal with multiple opponets and an angry army of beer bottle weilders. To deal with those situations you need a gun.

But there are some arts that give you fighting skills (BJJ/boxing/muythai) and some arts that are just forms practice, drills, and techniques thrown into thin air (kung fu)

SevenStar Guest
    You made one good point Rolls:

"You need to protect yourself in the moment. If you have to break their arm then you break it. Of course you don't let them tap out if it's a serious situation. You break their arm or put them out with a choke."

However, the others suck, especially the most recent. There is far more to CMA training than that, and I know you are aware of this. the problem comes in when schools don't train in the other methods (the types of schools ryu and I referred to) but still think they are extremely capable of defending themselves on the street

-ShortySeven&copy;
    Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Ralek Guest
    My posts will be deleted once Rengade Monk sees them. So look at them fast.

apoweyn Guest
    For the love of... It's muAy thai, Josh. It's not Spanish for very thai.

[end editorial tantrum]

Ralek Guest
    ap Oweyn. I couldn't help but notice that you live in maryland. Do you want to fight in a challenge match? I'm not mad at you. I just want to fight someone. I havn't had a chance to fight in a long time. I can't start threads because of the moderators. So do you want to fight a challenge match?

apoweyn Guest
    Josh,

Perhaps, yeah. I'm not angry with you either, but the thought has crossed my mind before. I'll tell you right now that I'm not much of a fighter, but I could certainly use the experience.

I'm not a kung fu stylist though.

Stuart B.

Ralek Guest
    Auwsome. It's nice to see another person who wants to fight. I don't care that you don't do kung fu. When do you want to fight?

apoweyn Guest
    I don't know, Josh. I'm not trying to prove anything. Just need the training. Could stand to get in much better shape before taking on any challenge matches.

So you know, I'm only even considering this because I had lunch with Shaolin Tiger recently and he was saying that you're not a half bad guy in real life.

Shocking, I know.

Stuart B.