Thread: Wing Chun vs. Combination Striking from a Boxer

Wing Chun vs. Combination Striking from a Boxer

So while watching some videos of various instructors doing Wing Chun vs. Jab, vs. Cross, etc., I tried looking up what some people would do versus combination striking of a boxer.

The thing is, so many of the videos I find, deal with one punch. I've only seen a couple that deal with drills off of a combination. It'd be great to "end" the fight with one single counter, but we all know thats rarely the case, and the kind of momentum, angle, range and position you and your opponent have can make for a much different ability to respond to certain strikes.

For instance, you can train for a boxer throwing a hook or an uppercut, but some boxers won't throw that hook or uppercut until they've gotten the chance to get very close to you. We'd all like to be that perfect fighter who never lets them fight their fight, or be in their range, but what about responses when they've managed to do so?

So, in the interest of discussion, I invite you to post some of the ways you'd deal with some combinations such as, jab-cross, jab-jab-cross, jab-cross-hook, jab-cross-hook-uppercut.

If you'd like to partake in the discussion, keep in mind the following, before answering:

- Each strike in the combination may not be thrown at full force, and some may be used more as feinting

- A boxer can be suited to utilizing angles and footwork in the midst of combinations

- How a boxer might respond to your initial response, and how you would compensate for that.

- The Aggressive pressure fighter style of boxing, the technical outboxer or the counter-puncher who waits for you.

This isn't a Wing Chun Vs. Boxing debate, its a question of whether you deal with these situations in the gym, and/or your experiences in dealing with them on the street, in competition, or in sparring.

If you have videos, that'd be great. I'll try and upload a video tomorrow of some of the responses I'd have, as someone who does both.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 03-22-2011 at 01:27 AM.

When I started WC under Nelason Chan and after with Sunny Tang, I had already boxed as an amat. for a few years.
    The puzzle I presented when I was allowed or asked to use my boxing was a puzzle to which the vast majority had no solution and those that did, did so because they were simply better fighters, period.
    The one thing I did get a lot of us this, " Jeez, you don't box the way I thought", or, "I didn't realize that boxers did...".
    The issue was a very big misconception of how boxers, TRAINED boxers actually do fight.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Interesting post. I deliberately train against guys throwing combinations (or trying to throw combinations) as its the only realistic way. Unfortunately the only way to actually train it is to pad up because the only defence is to use footwork to vacate your space moving laterally and forward and counterstrike hard enough (repeatedly) to prevent the combination being thrown. Using techniques such as pak sau and jut sau to control the jab and break momentum helps to close the distance and disrupt the combination as well as reducing the power of subsequent strikes because of disruption to rythm and body posture.

Look at how boxers defend the same combinations. They move (abeit differently to us) and change the angle, they close range and smother / clinch, and they counter punch. They also have the luxury of simply taking the shot on the gloves but we can ignore that one because it isn't street practical.

If you freeze you will be run over, if you try to defend without counter you will be run over, the counter has to be hard enough to have an effect.

Only my opinion but I train this way alot and have done both boxing and Muay Thai in the past.