Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Application of Tok-Sau from Wooden Dummy Form

Application of Tok-Sau from Wooden Dummy Form

Hello guys! I have a question regarding a movement from the 116 wooden dummy form. A lot of the wooden dummy movements are self-explanatory, however there is one movement in there that I have no idea what the application would be. It's the "tok-sau", where you slap and lift up the left and right upper arms with your palms from below the arms. If you look at the video below, you'll see it at 0:09, 0:18, 0:24, 0:48, and 0:59.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjqL9MdLj0k

Thanks!!

In the dummy set, it is used mainly to help develop the proper delivery of the technique coupled with the correct distance/body structure from your opponent. The application of Tok Sau is actually addressed in the first part of the Chum Kiu form, and as part of the Jeep Sau technique used to lock your opponent's elbow.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

ntc

Hi NTC- good to see you posting again.

joy

Hi Joy... how are you doing? Its been awhile... hope all is well with you and your family.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by ntc View Post
    In the dummy set, it is used mainly to help develop the proper delivery of the technique coupled with the correct distance/body structure from your opponent. The application of Tok Sau is actually addressed in the first part of the Chum Kiu form, and as part of the Jeep Sau technique used to lock your opponent's elbow.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for your reply, and I know there are probably many ways to apply each technique. Your signature has a lot of truth to it. There is a point you get to where you feel like a beginner, even after years of study.

Quote Originally Posted by wingtsun85 View Post
    Hello guys! I have a question regarding a movement from the 116 wooden dummy form. A lot of the wooden dummy movements are self-explanatory, however there is one movement in there that I have no idea what the application would be. It's the "tok-sau", where you slap and lift up the left and right upper arms with your palms from below the arms. If you look at the video below, you'll see it at 0:09, 0:18, 0:24, 0:48, and 0:59.

Thanks!!
    It's against a two arm grab/lunge attempt.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

In TWC I learned the application of Tok Sao from a two handed grab or lunge.

I never gave Tok Sao much thought or credit after that, until I used it against a BJJ guy I rolled with a couple months back. He grabbed the back of my head and went for my leg and I tok sao'd his elbow upward.

In this case, it threw him off balance and into the wall, I used it twice in this way. After that I started doing some more BJJ/wrestling and using that to open them up. You get pretty solid control from pushing up underneath at the elbow.

I think its a pretty effective application of tok sao.

Blog Entries
    you slap and lift up the left and right upper arms with your palms from below the arms.
    Here is one application for that. You "guide" your opponent's arms into a temporary position so it won't give you any trouble when you enter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvPXIfh9wzE
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-06-2011 at 11:40 AM.

A good subject for some, bad for others (who just don't practise Toksau at all)

Something I too feel is a specific 'signature' of Wing Chun, especially used on the Wooden Man for entering and exiting, like I show in this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBv5oE5VNHg
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by ntc View Post
    The application of Tok Sau is actually addressed in the first part of the Chum Kiu form, and as part of the Jeep Sau technique used to lock your opponent's elbow.
    Tok Sau????......Jeep Sau???? ........lock your opponents elbow????......more misinterpreted WCK applications tut tut!!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    In TWC I learned the application of Tok Sao from a two handed grab or lunge.

I never gave Tok Sao much thought or credit after that, until I used it against a BJJ guy I rolled with a couple months back. He grabbed the back of my head and went for my leg and I tok sao'd his elbow upward.

In this case, it threw him off balance and into the wall, I used it twice in this way. After that I started doing some more BJJ/wrestling and using that to open them up. You get pretty solid control from pushing up underneath at the elbow.

I think its a pretty effective application of tok sao.
    Pushing up under the elbow is a pretty common grappling move and often used to clear the path for a clinch/throw/shot. I don't really see it as a control move unless you are using it to set up some sort of a 2 on 1.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Pushing up under the elbow is a pretty common grappling move and often used to clear the path for a clinch/throw/shot. I don't really see it as a control move unless you are using it to set up some sort of a 2 on 1.
    I didn't mean as a control move like a grab, pin or lock, by control I meant its fairly easy to utilize it to clear that path.

[QUOTE=Graham H;1088100]Tok Sau????......Jeep Sau???? ........lock your opponents elbow????......more misinterpreted WCK applications tut tut!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Tut tut and roll eyes is patronizing.

The tyranny of words.Locking is part of several possible flows and sequences of defense/attack. I don't think that you understood NTC's intent.
    Tok sao has lots of applications but tut tut and rolling eyes does not further the discussion.

joy chaudhuri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    lock your opponents elbow????......more misinterpreted WCK applications tut tut!!
    Here is an example (from 2.45 - 2.50).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaLvcM-u4ns
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-06-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    you'll see it at 0:09, 0:18, 0:24, 0:48, and 0:59.
    In Taiji, this move is called "掳臂捧(Lu Bi Peng) - control arm lift" or "進步七星(Jin Bu Qi Xing) - step forward to 7 star".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PL0FYMO5w4
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-06-2011 at 06:49 PM.