Thread: CLF Ji Wai Kyuhn

CLF Ji Wai Kyuhn

Reading through the firestorm of the NYC Choy Li Fut thread got me thinking of this. My sifu learned from his uncle Tse Wing Bun and later became a student of Ho Ngau. Most of the sets he passed on were Ho's material, but our first fighting set was known as ji wai. I always assumed the name meant "self defense" but was told that the characters were never written so translation is iffy.

The strange thing about this one is that there is no CLF salute. It opens and closes with Hung Mun hand signals. The content, though, is pure CLF. Has anyone else ever heard of this one? It'll be a few months before I can ask my teacher about it, so thought I'd kick it out there for discussion.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    Tse Wing Bun
    was also a student of Chui Cheung as well. Adopted son? not sure.

I've seen lots of CLF that has no Hoi Jong at all as well.

Not sure if chan fam does this, but Fut San has a long salute

got a video of it?
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-24-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    was also a student of Chui Cheung as well. Adopted son? not sure.

I've seen lots of CLF that has no Hoi Jong at all as well.

Not sure if chan fam does this, but Fut San has a long salute

got a video of it?
    The hoi jong is the "Ming" handsign with no footwork. The sao jong is in two directions (90 degrees) with the typical half step forward, two steps back.

My guess is that it is an entry level set and so lacks the CLF salute. Ng Leun Mah and Ng Leun Cheui don't have CLF hoi jong either.

Got nothing on YouTube. Prolly should, someday.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries

Ng Lun Ma

I believe that opening hand motions are the hoi jong of this set.

just for comparisons sake, here is Shaoin Dynasty doing the hoi jong of his school..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFSL...eature=related
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-24-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Neither of those is much like our openings for the ng leuhn series. The closest i've seen is D. F. Wong's version.

I think every lineage has slight variations in their opening for ng lun ma. The 2 Frank posted were more or less the same when you break them down and not much different from the one I do. All very close. I thought I recalled DFWs being similar also.

Blog Entries
    actually, the first one (the female) doing the opening is of the Doc Fai Wong lineage. so, it seems the five wheel fist hoi jong is very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I think every lineage has slight variations in their opening for ng lun ma. The 2 Frank posted were more or less the same when you break them down and not much different from the one I do. All very close. I thought I recalled DFWs being similar also.
    I agree and can see the relationships. Ours differs mainly by being shorter--only about six counts:

1) din yeut
    2) double cham kiuh
    3) drop hands, slapping outside of thighs
    4) seuhng fuh jaau (preceeded by a gam jin and "wrapping" in front of chest
    5) lower and upper gam jin
    6) fan sau (continuing into a series of arm swings until the palms turn red)

Some people seem to do hoi sau as a presentation. In our stye it is a very active and powerful group of exercises. The johng position is maintained in the feet but the legs alternately flex and extend for whole body power. An interesting part is the double thigh slap which is a hard percussive smack to a branch of the peroneal nerve with the legs fully extended. Sends a nice zing through the legs, maybe intended for conditioning and health benefit but it also maps out a good target. The end of the middle finger ends up on the spot where you want to place a roundhouse knee or shin.

Still would like to know what generation jih wai kyuhn came out of. Haven't heard of it in any other school. After it we learned siu muih fa, siu sahp jih, baat gua, etc., all featuring the gwai mah three-way salute.
    Last edited by jdhowland; 03-25-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Do you think it was put together as form to bridge the gap in early learning? Maybe the reason it lacks the longer hoi jong. Not to uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Do you think it was put together as form to bridge the gap in early learning? Maybe the reason it lacks the longer hoi jong. Not to uncommon.
    I suspect that's it. It has three sections like some of our other forms. Not simple, by any means, but easy to learn and offers a nice break after a couple of years of strenuous jaahp mah and che kyuhn.