Thread: Who studies Xing Yi Quan here?

Hybrid View

Who studies Xing Yi Quan here?

Hello I was just curious to see who all the practicioners of xing yi quan here and what style of it you study under what lineage? Also what style did you come from or what drew you to xing yi? After the recent light now shining on Baji and it becoming seemingly more popular, it almost seems like xing yi is one of the lesser trained styles unless its along with bagua at the same school.

I wouldn't say Bajiquan is more popular than Xing Yi... both are still quite difficult to find.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    Most of the "pure" Taiji, XingYi, or Bagua guys won't stay in this forum but Rum Soaked Fist forum or Emptyflower forum. We may have people who cross trained XingYi here and I'm one of them.

After I have seem my teacher to use his XingYi 橫拳(Heng Qhuan) to knock a young challenger 45 degree up in the air like a flying bird, I had totally faith in his XingYi system. I have seen people been knocked down to the ground. That was the first time that I saw someone was knocked 45 degree "up" into the sky. That young challenger's body flew up and then went back down. It was a very strange feeling. Too bad that I didn't have chance to record it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-26-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

After I have seem my teacher to use his XingYi 橫拳(Heng Qhuan) to knock a young challenger 45 degree up in the air like a flying bird (before that I didn't know to knock someone up in the air was even possible), I had totally faith in his XingYi system.
    That's an awesome story. i personally know some of the Hebei style which I have just started practicing again, just now getting through the first 3 elements. It seems like zuan quan would be good for sending someone upward. I love the style but plan on learning baji or a shaolin system as well

Blog Entries
    When you train the XingYi system, you don't get tire that easy. May be there are not that many kicks in it. But I think the way that the XinYi system forms were designed in such a way that could make your body feel more comfortable to do it. The Sung (no body tension) may be the main factor there.

When you train the XingYi system, you don't get tire that easy. May be there are not that many kicks in it. But I think the way that the XinYi system forms were designed in such a way that could make your body feel more comfortable to do it. The Sung (no body tension) may be the main factor there.

Yeah I agree. From an audience standpoint the other related arts look more fun to do or are more regularly available already such as taiji. Hebei xing yi in appearance can look very slow to others. it does feel comfortable for me to do and ive tried a lot of kung fu styles but have come back to xing yi. what style of xing yi did u learn youknowwho?

Most of the "pure" Taiji, XingYi, or Bagua guys won't stay in this forum but Rum Soaked Fist forum or Emptyflower forum. We may have people who cross trained XingYi here and I'm one of them.

After I have seem my teacher to use his XingYi 橫拳(Heng Qhuan) to knock a young challenger 45 degree up in the air like a flying bird, I had totally faith in his XingYi system. I have seen people been knocked down to the ground. That was the first time that I saw someone was knocked 45 degree "up" into the sky. That young challenger's body flew up and then went back down. It was a very strange feeling. Too bad that I didn't have chance to record it.

where did you study xingyi at

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rielski View Post
    where did you study xingyi at
    From my teacher.

From whom did you study Xing Yi?

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    Hello I was just curious to see who all the practicioners of xing yi quan here and what style of it you study under what lineage? Also what style did you come from or what drew you to xing yi? After the recent light now shining on Baji and it becoming seemingly more popular, it almost seems like xing yi is one of the lesser trained styles unless its along with bagua at the same school.
    Hebei style...kinda.

Though my teacher spent time with Alan Pittman he was also heavily influenced by Yiquan and Lin Kong Jing - So, we pretty much spent most of our time standing and doing the 5 xing. I was taught most of the animals but now I only train one (Tiger).

So, my Xingyi training now consists of a lot of San Ti, a very simple 5 Element form, and I throw in some work on Tiger xing pretty regularly.

punch headbutt i was just wondering what style(s) it is that you study? I do agree with what you said many people make simple comparisons between wc and xing yi based on the centerline theory when the truth is many kf styles attack on the centerline.

punch headbutt i was just wondering what style(s) it is that you study? I do agree with what you said many people make simple comparisons between wc and xing yi based on the centerline theory when the truth is many kf styles attack on the centerline.
    Ba Gua, Xing Yi, and Sun Tai Chi lol. At least that's what I'm currently getting formal instruction in. Most of my own practice prior to coming under my current Sifu was basic stand-up stuff (boxing hands w/ elbows for good measure, basic kicking, rudimentary take-downs). My Sifu was a Hung Kuen/BSL guy for most of his life, and all my classmates have either Hung Kuen or BSL backgrounds, so I get decent exposure to viewpoints coming from those methods, too.

I think the comparison is always drawn with WC because of a) its popularity and b) how obvious its centerline pressure is generally presented. It's just one of those little things I always notice when looking at Xing Yi clips and seeing the commentary on them.

I am no expert on wing Chun dev. But doesn't wc have base roots in shaolin. Scatterd in shaolin material u will see some similarities to wing Chun. I first noticed this after taste testing wc after study shaolin and again on practice and review of my material. Def wc has dev. Much in its evolution but there will always be the roots...shaolin tree is very broad so many of the offshoots have entertwining roots.
    I agree. By my (limited) understanding, WC does have Shaolin roots so it's easy to appreciate similarities in shape popping up between movements of different styles. Actually, as Ba Gua has no Shaolin roots (at last not my lineage) and I'm still seeing such similarities I suppose it's just a body mechanics thing. We can only move so many ways, right?

hebei xingyquan here.

guess there is more than you thought.

i have a healthy amount of respect for the TST program. it is quite a full program and seems to do pretty well in systematically developing fighters. though i may be partial having learnt from the same source one generation removed.

bill smith - yeah, the tang shou tao is hebei xingyi, but with a slight bagua twist some say. it all comes from hung i-hsiang, which is my grandteacher who developed the tang shou tao system of study.

as far as i know, tang shou tao is more of hung's systematic teaching method more than it is an association - though i am not denying that it is an association. i have just seen it as more of his personal way of developing a well rounded fighter from beginner to advanced.