Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who studies Xing Yi Quan here?

Who studies Xing Yi Quan here?

Hello I was just curious to see who all the practicioners of xing yi quan here and what style of it you study under what lineage? Also what style did you come from or what drew you to xing yi? After the recent light now shining on Baji and it becoming seemingly more popular, it almost seems like xing yi is one of the lesser trained styles unless its along with bagua at the same school.

I wouldn't say Bajiquan is more popular than Xing Yi... both are still quite difficult to find.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    Most of the "pure" Taiji, XingYi, or Bagua guys won't stay in this forum but Rum Soaked Fist forum or Emptyflower forum. We may have people who cross trained XingYi here and I'm one of them.

After I have seem my teacher to use his XingYi 橫拳(Heng Qhuan) to knock a young challenger 45 degree up in the air like a flying bird, I had totally faith in his XingYi system. I have seen people been knocked down to the ground. That was the first time that I saw someone was knocked 45 degree "up" into the sky. That young challenger's body flew up and then went back down. It was a very strange feeling. Too bad that I didn't have chance to record it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-26-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

After I have seem my teacher to use his XingYi 橫拳(Heng Qhuan) to knock a young challenger 45 degree up in the air like a flying bird (before that I didn't know to knock someone up in the air was even possible), I had totally faith in his XingYi system.
    That's an awesome story. i personally know some of the Hebei style which I have just started practicing again, just now getting through the first 3 elements. It seems like zuan quan would be good for sending someone upward. I love the style but plan on learning baji or a shaolin system as well

Blog Entries
    When you train the XingYi system, you don't get tire that easy. May be there are not that many kicks in it. But I think the way that the XinYi system forms were designed in such a way that could make your body feel more comfortable to do it. The Sung (no body tension) may be the main factor there.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you train the XingYi system, you don't get tire that easy. May be there are not that many kicks in it. But I think the way that the XinYi system forms were designed in such a way that could make your body feel more comfortable to do it. The Sung (no body tension) may be the main factor there.

Yeah I agree. From an audience standpoint the other related arts look more fun to do or are more regularly available already such as taiji. Hebei xing yi in appearance can look very slow to others. it does feel comfortable for me to do and ive tried a lot of kung fu styles but have come back to xing yi. what style of xing yi did u learn youknowwho?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    what style of xing yi did u learn youknowwho?
    Hebei xing yi from Baoding, Hebei.

There are many similarity between Xing Yi and Baji? Both seem to focus a lot on generating explosive power to a target point.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    There are many similarity between Xing Yi and Baji? Both seem to focus a lot on generating explosive power to a target point.
    XingYi Fajin is less noticeable than the Baji. It's easier to see the power in Baji Fajin, It's not that easy to see the power in XingYi Fajin. In other words, the Baji Fajin may be more exaggrete than the XingYi Fajin. Of course if you cross train both systems, you may integrate both idea and make it hard to distinguish.

In

- Baji, you compress to the maximum, you then release to the maximum (your mind is in compress and release).
    - XinYi, you don't compress to the maximum and release to the maximum, but you have all your body behind it (your mind is in body unification).

One Baji master once made a joke about his own style. He said, "Al Baji guys have bad temper. We try to kill our opponent in every single strike. When our opponent move back faster than our advance, we feel unsatisfied".

The XingYi master may make comment such as, "I'll try to destroy everything in my moving path. If my opponent keeps out of my way, it won't bother me a bit."

Maybe others can explain the difference better than me.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-26-2011 at 08:51 PM.

to me the differences seemed like people assume that the most weight is on the front leg when u strike in xing yi but the weight is still more on the back foot where in baji they seem to come through on the front leg. also the power generation in baji looks more like a whipping motion to me to generate the power from the hips. i could be wrong

ive studied various arts but i was studying fu jow pai, before becoming enthralled with the economy of motion that is xing yi chuan. the simple directness of it was amazing. the teacher i trained with, was not a teacher by trade and only had about four students and we met every twice every two weeks. he trained with wang ji wu on the mainland, as a kid till he was a teen, and then studied with wang shu jin in both taiwan and later in japan, finishing his xing yi/yi chuan. and also studying tai chi from the hefty man. so my style is kind of a mix, you have the traditional side of it with wang ji wu's xing yi, also incorporating his famous ni gong, which i believe a book was written on the subject, which was called 16 nei gong exercises, mine is closer to 20 different nei gong movements. and then you have the brutalness of wang ji wu's style, wang's xing yi uses more of a walking step and not the half step or slidding step of other xing yi styles. there is more twisting of the body to unleash maximum power. i like the marriage of both those methods. not to mention all the yi quan stance work and moving meditation. i havent seen my teacher in a few years as he took a really good job in brazil. so im still just training on my own.

I did xingyi for a spell under Master Tony Chen

I loved it. Sadly (for me) Sifu Tony moved on, so I haven't done much with it since.

I wrote a few articles on it at the time:
    Serpent Power: The Slinky Qi of Snake Style in Hung Gar, Taiji and Xingyi 2001 March/April

Chicken Fu - The Underrated Animal of Xingyi 2003 July/August

Xingyi's Dadao: The Lost Legacy of the Big Blade Troop 2006 March/April

The Traditional Art of 5 Elements Long Pole
    2006 May/June

We even did a Special Xingyi Issue - 2008 November/December

I think that's all that I've written personally, but there may be more. There's a lot that other people have written for us over the years.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hi allan

I practice TST Hsing-I. MY instructor is John Price.

What I love about hsing-i is that it is a no nonsense fighting art. Good solid techniques and the exercises that help you develope great power and speed along with the ability to feel what your opponent is going to do almost before he does it.

It has given me everything that good kung fu is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I loved it. Sadly (for me) Sifu Tony moved on, so I haven't done much with it since.

I wrote a few articles on it at the time:
    Serpent Power: The Slinky Qi of Snake Style in Hung Gar, Taiji and Xingyi 2001 March/April

Chicken Fu - The Underrated Animal of Xingyi 2003 July/August

Xingyi's Dadao: The Lost Legacy of the Big Blade Troop 2006 March/April

The Traditional Art of 5 Elements Long Pole
    2006 May/June

We even did a Special Xingyi Issue - 2008 November/December

I think that's all that I've written personally, but there may be more. There's a lot that other people have written for us over the years.
    tony chen doesnt teach anymore? think he was the only baji guy around state side.

Tony has been promoting fights in China

So no, he doesn't teach anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart