Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who studies Xing Yi Quan here?

what is TST xing yi? Does everyone else here also study Hebei style besides me? How do you guys think I am doing content wise for me having only had two lessons?

I study Hebei, Tianjin lineage.

cool Juan for how long now?

I study Hebei Xing Yi as well.

It's strange for me to see so many that practice Hebei XY. I was under the impression that Shanxi (sp?) was much more popular.

5 or 6 years now. What I really like is the directness of the style.

@PHB: I don't know many Xingyi practicionners, but those I know seem to be split 50-50 in Shanxii and Hebei. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hebei is the most popular lineage in China.

i met someone today who will start teaching xingyi in a month when they get back into town...any good links or references for someone to start scholarly studies on this style?

thanks in advance!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

@PHB: I don't know many Xingyi practicionners, but those I know seem to be split 50-50 in Shanxii and Hebei. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hebei is the most popular lineage in China.
    Interesting, must just be some kink in my exposure. Either that or I'm just not paying enough attention! I have no idea what's popular in China, though.

Lucas, there's a lot of good Xing Yi footage on the DPGDPG Youtube channel. Though I'm sure it's well known around here, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DPGDPG

Not aware of any good literary links, though.

I have found many similarities to wing chun in the Hebei Xingyiquan i've been taught

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    I have found many similarities to wing chun in the Hebei Xingyiquan i've been taught
    Someone made comment as, "In XingYi, the body leads the arm. In WC, the arm leads the body". I don't think "20ch 6dfv" and "snake engine" can apply to XingYi at all.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-29-2011 at 06:07 PM.

lol that is very true

Thanks for the link punch
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I've noticed that people usually compare Xing Yi and Wing Chun, usually commenting on "centerline strategy". I don't really get it. Offensive pressure on the centerline is hardly an uncommon trait. I don't know why parallels get drawn between any martial art and Wing Chun based purely on centerline strategy or use of a Sun fist. Note I'm not suggesting that you're basing your comparison on that, it's just a bit of a curiosity to me that your comment brought to mind. Admittedly, I have no experience in training in Wing Chun, so I may be missing some key element in the comparison.

Thanks for the link punch
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So no, he doesn't teach anymore.
    that sucks gene, i might be bi coastal soon, and i would love to start training some baji quan which i believe sifu chen also taught although i could be getting mixed up. only one guy teaches it here in ny but you gotta learn mantis first which im not interested in.

Hsing-I seemed like the most natural, practical and reasonable system I've ever studied. It changed my life. I use the mechanics everyday for some task while thinking practically and efficiently. Good stuff. Powerful.

to me it seems like the mechanics of xing yi can be applied when needed to all the other styles which is really cool