Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Hebrew, wait until you get to the end of A Feast for Crows. Most compelling cliffhanger ever written, I swear. If he doesn't finish the next book for another ten years i'll still have to buy it to find out what happens.

Also, thanks for that info about Direwolves. I didn't know they were real either. Sweet.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Hebrew, wait until you get to the end of A Feast for Crows. Most compelling cliffhanger ever written, I swear.:
    seriously, im glad he did a small write up to explain himself at the end of the book. because it does leave you hanging something fierce.

WHAT ABOUT DANY!?!!?!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    lol ur the only other person ive talked to that has read night angel...durzo blint is the ultimate bad ass lol.
    I've read it as well, good storyline, only hang-up I had was how it kinda ended. Can't remember the names of the characters but the teacher from the begining and how he came back for a few chapters was kinda gay, i thought they should have left him dead, give it more meaning IMO.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

anyone else keeping up on the new episodes on HBO of game of thrones?

watched the one tonight. Pretty good. I heard they've already signed up for the next season and next book.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

i have been. didn't watch last night's yet, though. have it on dvr
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    If you like the adult writing go for "The blade itself" by Joe abercrombie. Gritty, dark, bloody.
    i was at the book store looking at the first law trilogy but they only had those giant paperbacks that may as well be hardback and i hate them, so i picked up his newer book, "best served cold' which i am really liking so far. always love a suggestion to a new author i can get into. thanks man.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ask away if it's in the sci-fi or fantasy genre i've probably read it. You into the dark, gritty type? Or maybe more alternative history stuff? A-typical D&D stuff?

myself I like the bloody, dark, gritty, and most of the character are actually people with "real" people issues in that genre.

Read all of abercrombie's stuff. Your starting in the middle of the series, I suggest picking up the first one. But he's pretty good at picking the reader up and pushing them forward in his writing. Read the recent on "The heroes" which was awesome to say the least.

Btw, don't ever read L.E. Modesitt.

He's a boring writer and he uses onomatopoeia obsessively.

myself I like the bloody, dark, gritty, and most of the character are actually people with "real" people issues in that genre.
    have u read Donaldson's Covenant chronicles?

Btw, don't ever read L.E. Modesitt.

He's a boring writer and he uses onomatopoeia obsessively.
    actually its a woman writer I believe and yes I've read some of her stuff. Not the greatest, pretty bland actually.

have u read Donaldson's Covenant chronicles?
    yes, nothing says real issues like having Leprosy. good read.

yes, nothing says real issues like having Leprosy.
    Leper, outcast, unclean! Hellfire and bloody d@mnation!

good read.
    yeh - although Donaldson can get a little wordy and really make you "wait for it", as far as the payoff (maybe it has something to do w his being a Shotokan BB, who knows...)

I read the first two "chronicles" over the course of JrH and HS (btw that and MP Flying Circ my brain was pretty screwed up); I'm debating reading the 3rd series, he's done 3/5 of them...I just need to find the time...

if u like sci-fi, his "Journey into Gap" series was also pretty cool...

Read the "unbeliever" chronicles and agree with you that he can be a bit "wordy." But at the time frame of his writing it was an orignial idea that he came up with. The switching of "worlds" and madness induced by disease and Lonliness.

I've not read the others in the series. Probably pick them up sometime.

anyone read the "the malazan book of the fallen"? Steven erikson author?

Hard read, especially the first book, "gardens of the moon" (believe thats the right title.) after the first book the series gets pretty dam good. Finished it up with "the crippled god" which I was sorely disappointed in. But heck there are like 10 books in the series and saying 2 of them are not up to expectations isn't a bad %. He shifts a lot between stories and it's hard to follow sometimes but a very dark and blatant look at the human factor with some of his characters.

another great read I've had the pleasure of is a woman author named J.V. Jones. Which I'm not a great fan of women writers for a lot of different reasons. One being that they cannot seem to describe relationships between men. but that's off topic.

First book is "A cavern of Black Ice" which is the first in the sword of shadows series. great read. Only complaint is the time frame she puts her books out. They are spaced far appart. But if you started now you have 4 books in the series complete and can get a good grasp on her world building.

one more episode left. Been really good so far. Last episode was the best (9) to date.