Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

There once was a man named Ned, who went and lost his...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Anyone (who, like me hasn't read the book yet) want to place bets on Joffrey's life expectancy?
    Last edited by SimonM; 06-18-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Anyone (who, like me hasn't read the book yet) want to place bets on Joffrey's life expectancy?
    Heh, I want to spoil that for you SO bad. But, I won't.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

for anyone who hasn't read the book, I recommend it - polished off Game of Thrones in a week; looking for Clash of Kings, but can't find it anywhere at present, lol...

liked the scene in Ep 8 where Sylvio trashes the Lannister guards, after they call him Dance Master - kinda like a TCMA forms guy beating up a room of MMAists (well, it IS fantasy )

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    for anyone who hasn't read the book, I recommend it - polished off Game of Thrones in a week; looking for Clash of Kings, but can't find it anywhere at present, lol...

liked the scene in Ep 8 where Sylvio trashes the Lannister guards, after they call him Dance Master - kinda like a TCMA forms guy beating up a room of MMAists (well, it IS fantasy )
    If I have my copy at home i'd be more than happy to send it to you. I've already read it a couple times. Let me know.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

You can bet that Game of Thrones is on my list - particularly since I hear that Martin uses a similar perspective structure to me - it is just that my reading list is long and meandering.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    If I have my copy at home i'd be more than happy to send it to you. I've already read it a couple times. Let me know.
    lol, thanks bro, that's very generous of you, I appreciate the offer - but I have this thing about "breaking in" a book, the whole feel of it becoming "yours" as you read through it, I think u get what I'm saying; anyway, I'm sure it'll turn up at B&N soon, once the initial furor dies down;

btw, what do u all think in terms of the the series creating the "feel " of the book? I know that there are some changes in the plot structure (e.g - they added in some fight scenes where there weren't any, as well as a few others); overall, i think that visually and the whole flow of it they pretty much got (Martin is not one to spend an excess of time on things that don't move the plot, and so encapsulates his chapters into dense pockets of narrative for example, which is why I think it works for TV);

It is a well-paced show. That much is sure.
    Simon McNeil

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    you guys catch the season ending? Was a great ender.

btw, what do u all think in terms of the the series creating the "feel " of the book?
    I thought they did a great job. The major pivotal points were there. The characters are well done and the celtic/arab/medieval feel is present. Martin was a screen writer back in the day before he started The song of Ice and Fire. He worked on some major projects back in the day so I figure he brings a lot to the table when they contrive the show.

haha I'll give you this, don't get attached to many of the characters, Martin has a way with poetic justice. Not spoiling anything for you just giving you a general blanket statement about the characters.

The story lines in all the books get better and better in my opinion. They have set up the northern campaigns and the politics that are happening on all fronts. The feeling that something "big" is going to happen in the north is always present like in the books. Love how everyone is so wrapped up in the politics of whats going on in kingslanding that they overlook the happenings beyond the wall, and believe me the sh!t is going to hit the fan down the road.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Now THAT was a season finale.

If only other shows were half that good. What an ending!
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Now THAT was a season finale.

If only other shows were half that good. What an ending!
    I haven't read beyond GOT (can't find COK anywhere, lol - but I wil, no worries); based on what I have seen characteristicwise (e.g. - what traits Martin seems to "like" in someone), the ones who are most adaptable to rapid changes in circumstance seem to do the best; so my bet's on who survives in the long run are (in no particular order, and not an exhaustive list), are Arrya Stark, John Snow, Tyrion Lannister and Danerys Targaeryon (and now she have Dwangons!); I guess time will only tell...

LOL Add Robb Stark to that list and you have a Who's Who of my favourite characters.

There is literally nothing about Tyrion that isn't awesome.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I haven't read beyond GOT (can't find COK anywhere, lol - but I wil, no worries); based on what I have seen characteristicwise (e.g. - what traits Martin seems to "like" in someone), the ones who are most adaptable to rapid changes in circumstance seem to do the best; so my bet's on who survives in the long run are (in no particular order, and not an exhaustive list), are Arrya Stark, John Snow, Tyrion Lannister and Danerys Targaeryon (and now she have Dwangons!); I guess time will only tell...
    Some very astute observations actually...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Some very astute observations actually...
    I do like the fact that I don't know who is going to win yet. The protagonists are spread out across four groups, some of which are in direct conflict with each other and yet they remain protagonists.

The Lannisters seem to have more than their fair share of antagonists but they aren't quite monolithic enough to push Tyrion and his crew into the antagonist group.

I'm looking forward to reading the books. Gotta get down to Bakka Phoenix...
    Simon McNeil