Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    give you a heads up Jamie lannister's character takes on a whole new outlook on life in later books. Not giving away the story any just pointing out that many of the characters you hate for being selfish @ssholes have a turning point. One thing Martin does well is bring diversity to his characters.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    give you a heads up Jamie lannister's character takes on a whole new outlook on life in later books. Not giving away the story any just pointing out that many of the characters you hate for being selfish @ssholes have a turning point. One thing Martin does well is bring diversity to his characters.
    That seemed a bit obvious when Jaime DIDN'T kill Edd when he had the chance.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

None of the characters lack for complexity the bit where (highlight for spoilers) Joffrey has the minstrel's tongue cut out seems to indicate that even the nastiest, most self-centered and all around psycopathic character in the show has an internal monologue, thoughts, feelings, desires and goals beyond being evil.

I like that about the story. I like that about stories in general. It's part of what makes Dune so great, it is also part of what makes Jin Yong such an awesome author.

Prior to watching GoT I'd have said Yue Buqun was the best antagonist of all times but I'm beginning to suspect that Cersei will be a threat to his title.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

That seemed a bit obvious when Jaime DIDN'T kill Edd when he had the chance.
    Well, it was more out of honor of him killing him at that moment. He was pis$ed that it was taken away from him.

anyways that's just a little taste of what changes come. There is an event that happens that really turns the tables on Jamie's charcter and make him look even deeper within himself.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Yup. He becomes one of the best in the series.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Semi Spoiler Alert

Finishing up Storm of Swords, and it just keeps on getting better! I love his dialogues and plot twists...

Here is just a snippet from the end of book III "****** did not, in the end, sheit gold." I broke out laughing...brilliant. I won't mention which character its referring too.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

hum... wonder whom you are refering

yeah as you stated the books get better and better. Honestly though the last book he wrote was off the "beatin" path on the main story line. Lot of characters introduced that had great story lines and some that were side characters that advanced.

As long as he never writes a book like the WoT one which was 650 pages of secondary characters going "Look, over there!" at the thing Rand did at the end of the book previous.

After that I was never able to get back into the series.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

WOT is a dry read agreed. Lots of repetitive intros and stuff. Only thing about the series I do like is the world building. Jordan was very good at that.

A lot of the re introduction i tend to just graze my eyes over to catch any additional info that he might be sneaking in, but to get it out of the way quickly. i think jordan is kind of an aquired taste in terms of discriptive qualities, he often went overboard, but i personally like that...i mean ive read the entire series front to back 3 times...I first got into jordan from his conan novels, which are pretty awesome.

its been a long belief of mine that the WOT characters are largely modeled off of conan. if you look at the pin point of each characters qualities; rand's unbreakable will and constant care for others well being (namely women), matrim's luck and natural battle strategy, perrins strength and ferocity, lan's total mastery of combat, the unfailing endurance of the aiel, etc... those are all pieces of what make up the total character of conan. as the story developed my first time reading it i could not help but notice this, i dont think it is coincidence...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

As an aside, Brandon Sanderson has been great for the end of the WoT series.

He's not mindnumbing to read and he actual moves the plot along. Not to mention the fact that he's being careful to tie up all the lose ends that Jordan left in the series. Thankful for that.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    As an aside, Brandon Sanderson has been great for the end of the WoT series.

He's not mindnumbing to read and he actual moves the plot along. Not to mention the fact that he's being careful to tie up all the lose ends that Jordan left in the series. Thankful for that.
    word. i enjoyed his contribution greatly. before picking up his addition to WOT i wanted to check his style, the Mistborn series is really good. worth checking out. its a very interesting world he created.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I've read the first one, but I haven't gotten around to reading the others in the series.

I'm actually reading The Age of Kings right now. I think it is great so far. He has some very original ideas and this one is no exception. It's very original and MUCH grander in scope than his others. Very much in the vein of WoT in terms of epicness.

hmm i'll have to check that out. still havnt gotten dance with dragons yet so maybe after i knock that one out.

sanderson is a really good writer IMO. His mistborn series is very epic in nature. I've read all the WOT series up till he starts writing (sanderson) and I'll probably pick it up some time when I have some down time off the many series I'm reading now. I recently started the new Tad Williams Shadowmarch series. Not bad so far but Williams tends to over explain things to much but his world building is right on. I have DOD's for July, (pre-ordered) and as soon as i get it I will start on it.

I'm actually reading The Age of Kings right now
    Author?