Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill vs. Strength/speed

The problem is most internalist don't do any sparring or pressure testing[push hand,fixed or moving ] or any freestyle training at all. the first time i went to beijing for a two week training trip,to do tai chi and bagua. there were about 10 guys. all had some experience in the internal art. so being a push hand competitor at the time i was happy to have some people around to train with, wow what a shock none of them had ever pushed before. and i could get a single one of them to push with me more then once. can you imagine you went on a bbj training trip and no bjj guys who were there had ever rolled. Or a boxing camp and none of the guys ever sparred before. So yeah they got so far fetched ideas about what works,without any proof at all.

But on the other hand there are a few real skilled high level internal guys that can and do train realisticly. And yes those rare few do give you the impression that they have something special. A good example is one of Ren's tai chi students that teaches out in Jersey. Guy weighs 140 and while doing sumo style moving push hands he can be budged.

Blog Entries
    There are something missing in the Taiji system.

- There should be some training beyond push hand.
    - Grabbing should be added to disallow your opponent to have freedom of "change".
    - "Leg moves (such as hook, sweep, scoop, break, twist, cut, bite, ...)" and "contact point concept" should be included instead of just "push at the center" and allow your opponent to have freedom on his legs.
    - Giving force so you can borrow your opponent's resist or yield.
    - Don't be afraid to let your opponent to feel you. His feeling can trigger his action, and his action can help you to borrow his force.
    - Finish moves training should be emphasized (such as a punch to the head, a kick to the groin, ...).
    - Yang should be treated as important as Yin.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-31-2011 at 08:38 AM.

if they did that no one would want to learn tai chi anymore would they

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if they did that no one would want to learn tai chi anymore would they
    You Speaketh the truth of all MA sir.

theres nothing missing in tai chi system. theyre teaching what people wanna learn.
    Quite true.
    I know a Chen Taiji teacher that teache stypical taiji ( forms, push hands, silk reeling) and also teaches "combat" Taiji - hard sparring, clinch fighting, impact weapons, etc.
    All depends what people want to "buy".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How do you teach someone what they "want" to learn?
    You can't.

You can facilitate by providing them with a method and perhaps some tools, but the only way you actually learn something is by doing it. Especially tactile things like martial arts.

Also, I'd like to bury the "please bring traffic to trollshido" thread. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    How do you teach someone what they "want" to learn?
    You can't.

You can facilitate by providing them with a method and perhaps some tools, but the only way you actually learn something is by doing it. Especially tactile things like martial arts.

Also, I'd like to bury the "please bring traffic to trollshido" thread. lol
    Someone who is experienced in martial arts already can make this call of what they want, but not someone who is ignorant. Honestly I don't have a problem with anyone teaching any art so long as smoke is not blowed up someone's arse!! As people get older many gravitate toward less contact in their martial training. Just as long as you don't have Tai Chi instructors teaching push hands and comparing it to clinch and wrestling training, it's all good. In other words, call it like it is.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

its stupid to talk about fighting in kung fu and tai chi. thats not what ur students pay u to learn. they want an exotic oriental aerobic workout. and thats what u better keep teaching if u dont wanna end up homeless.

people arent masters of martial art, theyre slaves to martial art. after spending their whole life doing kung fu no education no work experience, if they dont sell out and compromise theyll work at kfc till theyre 50.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-31-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

its stupid to talk about fighting in kung fu and tai chi. thats not what ur students pay u to learn. they want an exotic oriental aerobic workout. and thats what u better keep teaching if u dont wanna end up homeless.

if u wanna teach fighting dont put "kung fu" on ur school name.
    But what if I already own my gym, and I have hot bikini models who work the door, and I tell everyone real nice like that even though it's Kung Fu, we still fight, do you think it would work? BTW, the bikini models rub all my student's testicles after class.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

can i be your student?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    But what if I already own my gym, and I have hot bikini models who work the door, and I tell everyone real nice like that even though it's Kung Fu, we still fight, do you think it would work? BTW, the bikini models rub all my student's testicles after class.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

Actually these are the girls. Coors Light is my sponser.

when can i start training?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    when can i start training?
    when you stop pleasuring yourself over and over again looking at pictures of boobs painted to resemble beer cans....

"nice cans" is the only appropriate thing to say to those girls.

and "I'm thirsty"...

P.S - SR, the middle one, the middle one, oh yeah!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

id say 'give me a six pack'