Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill vs. Strength/speed

tai chi not bound me? tai chi not bound me? I AM TAI CHI

theres no such thing as taijiquan . it doesnt exist.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    You don't have to be strong to be "good" but you have to be strong to be the "best". When you go to a tournament and you believe that you may be the strongest person there, you will have good chance to win that day.

Quote Originally Posted by youknowwho View Post
    you don't have to be strong to be "good" but you have to be strong to be the "best". When you go to a tournament and you believe that you may be the strongest person there, you will have good chance to win that day.
    qft

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    As someone who has practiced external and internal martial arts I think internal is the superior path. Why?

Because internal arts are not dependent on strength(or speed really). They are a pure expression of skill. As you age (and everyone does, including you 20-somethings!) you naturally lose strength and you would be at a disadvantage compared to the young and strong.

That being said...what do you do when you encounters someone that is more skilled than you are? Curl up in a ball and die? Get the crap beat out of you?

No, that's why it's still important to build up strength and stamina as a fail safe. If you want to be a well-rounded fighter than you need to be in decent shape if you meet an opponent that has more skill. Ideally every fight would be ended with one punch, one kill. Anyone that's put on gloves and gone a few rounds knows this is nothing more than an ideal.

But on the external side...why not try to be more efficient? Why build big muscles that slow you down and gas you out? Why not try to be as efficient in your movement so that you don't have to? Relying on skill first, strength and speed second.

That's where I'm at in my training. Where are you?

EO
    You made absolutely no debate on skill vs strength and speed. Your argument is about internal versus external. Are you saying that an "external" practitioner doesn't train accuracy or precision?

Tai Chi Bob, you are a passve aggressive hippy.

Can you live without breathing?
    What is breath?
    Where does it come from?

Can you live without water?
    Where does it comes from?

Where do you come from?
    Where are you?

Reality is not bound by your opinions.
    Go get in a fight and measure your ruler.
    Otherwise, your attacks are fruitless and rejected.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings..

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Tai Chi Bob, you are a passve aggressive hippy.

Can you live without breathing?
    What is breath?
    Where does it come from?

Can you live without water?
    Where does it comes from?

Where do you come from?
    Where are you?

Reality is not bound by your opinions.
    Go get in a fight and measure your ruler.
    Otherwise, your attacks are fruitless and rejected.
    I have 'attacked' no one, so i am well-fruited and accepted.. as for your suggestion of fighting with rulers, you are ****in' into the wind, my friend, assuming more than your capacity permits..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Blog Entries
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Are you saying that an "external" practitioner doesn't train accuracy or precision?
    Those so called "external" guys also train Sung, yield, sticky, follow, sink, ... all those "internal" goodies. May be EMA guys just don't like to talke much. It doesn't mean that they don't have knowledge in those areas.

IMO, there is only the right way to train and the wrong way to train. There is no "internal" way to train and there is no "external" way to train.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Last edited by bawang; 03-28-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

anyway--

the ship has sailed

or the train has left.

what is done is done.

both internal and external have left town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihWI9...eature=related

--

http://kungfupracticebook.blogspot.c...ord-class.html

both yielding and advancing

both internal and external aspect are at play.

In my experience both are valuable and necessary. Even in chen style they do some strength training like shaking the pole and such. The problem with most internal stylist is they do very little pressure testing so it is easy to believe anything will work.

I train in both internal and external systems, and can see real benefits from both in solo training and in sparring. For example zhan Zhuang standing post is very useful in my Shuai Jiao and judo training. so are the strength training exercises of shuai jiao, when actually wrestling an opponent. And I was a push hands competitor and also did both internal and external for that training as well. And it paid off cause i won a gold and silver metal before. Where many of the internal guys I met having trained for years never even did any form of freestyle pushing or sparring before.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 03-29-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

Taiji is not bound by your opinions.. the internal/external debate is unfortunate, two paths to the same place, many get lost on both paths.. more on the 'Taiji' path, though..

Be well..
    Ronin style hot chick pics are not bound by your opinions...the blonde/brunette debate is unfortunate, two muffs, same color, two paths to the same place, many get lost inside those muffs, errr, debates. More on the blonde path, though..

Be poor..

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

I have 'attacked' no one, so i am well-fruited and accepted.. as for your suggestion of fighting with rulers, you are ****in' into the wind, my friend, assuming more than your capacity permits..

Be well..
    No worries. Keep yourself well and practice your thing and be happy.
    If you truly believe you have something more special than any other martial art, then it is that which makes you happy despite the fact that it isn't likely true.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Strength/Power + Speed can also beat skill.

Roy Jones Jr. crushed dozens of opponents with physical advantage attributes alone.

He beat Bernard Hopkins who was the more skilled and technical fighter.

Later on when his explosiveness and speed died down a lot, Hopkins avenged the loss.

Technique will be there, power will decrease, and speed will decrease, but to think that power and speed have less importance than pure technique is silly thinking. Plenty of less technical fighters get by with raw aggressive, power, and strength.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Size and Power win 99.999% of the time.
    It cannot be denied.
    If you want the martial advantage, you have to work on:

strength, conditioning and stamina.

Your style is virtually meaningless against the basics combined with the above three.

No one has great martial skill who doesn't practice totality in their vessel maintenance.

Doing only internal martial arts without supplemental work will get you exactly no where martially.

You must work on strength and conditioning and stamina.

Most of, almost all who do not focus into these areas will be mediocre when it comes to actually testing the mettle. There are no more unknowns in this regard really. It's all about tweaking the methods to get higher performance out of the people who use the methods.

the old methods had some good stuff too. Weight lifting, weighted vests, arms legs, lifting stone locks or balls, running, body work, hardwork in the fields etc etc.

Gazing at your average ball of dough that calls itself a martial artist these days is indicative of the people who make claims to these ancient arts not actually doing them in totality.
    Kung Fu is good for you.