The problem is most internalist don't do any sparring or pressure testing[push hand,fixed or moving ] or any freestyle training at all. the first time i went to beijing for a two week training trip,to do tai chi and bagua. there were about 10 guys. all had some experience in the internal art. so being a push hand competitor at the time i was happy to have some people around to train with, wow what a shock none of them had ever pushed before. and i could get a single one of them to push with me more then once. can you imagine you went on a bbj training trip and no bjj guys who were there had ever rolled. Or a boxing camp and none of the guys ever sparred before. So yeah they got so far fetched ideas about what works,without any proof at all.

But on the other hand there are a few real skilled high level internal guys that can and do train realisticly. And yes those rare few do give you the impression that they have something special. A good example is one of Ren's tai chi students that teaches out in Jersey. Guy weighs 140 and while doing sumo style moving push hands he can be budged.