Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to place your school altar

Where to place your school altar

Need to decide on the location of my kung fu altar in my new school.

Any adice guys?

Opposite the main door on the corner of far wall?

Opposite the main door on the wall directly facing?

Centre of bottom wall way from main door?

Center of side wall, middle of school?

Thanks
    Paul

Any local Feng Shui experts in the Chinese community or otherwise?

You could ask for some advice on some Feng Shui forums. Seems quite complicated to me.

Front of the class and so that you can see it when you walk in.
    But, as I don't know your floor layout, the best advice given is to employ a feng shui expert and invite them to help you place the altar.

You may also have a waterfall and a little plant or two put into your kwoon at the same time! So...yay!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

From what I could make out of advice that you can find via Google.

Don't put it on a wall where there is a toilet on the other side of the wall.

Put it in a position where the "back is to the mountain, facing the sea".

I think it would be OK facing the door since it is a MA gwoon. Though that may be modified depending on the way the building is facing. Like I said: complicated.

I think Gene Ching might have some feng shui experience, or been around the block enough to offer some generic advice.

every one ive ever seen was visible from the doorway...

if u dont worship at the altar for real dont put that sh1t up

it aint for decoration

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Paul,

I gather you will be having a Guan Gung statue in your altar; Guan Gung should not be facing East, because legend has it that he was facing East when he lost his last battle. The sun was in his eyes. This should dictate which direction your altar can face, and in turn, hopefully help you decide where to put it.

Good luck.

Yui

uummm, if you have an alter and understand what it is and how to go about using it, shouldnt you know where to put it too??? i have no doubt that placement is part of the basics, no???

if you do worship at the alter and really do understand it and know what its all about, you should know where to put it... if its just decoration and you have it cause you wanna feel traditional and all that, then who cares where you put it...

do you worship and sacrifice at your alter???

Thanks for the comments guys (evern the less helpful ones!)

I am not Chinese so don't claim to know the deep significance to the alter and worship but I do think that a traditional school should have a point of focus with deceased masters, guan gung etc.

This is a respect thing just as japanese schools could have a picture of their founder etc.

Obviously I want to maintain basic customs so I don't look like a complete ***** when people who know the traditions visit my school.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Best is if you can place it in the middle of the North wall, facing South. That way the faces of the ancestors are 'warmed' by the southern energy.
    Second best would be East wall facing West.
    Worst is on a southern wall 'facing' north.

Don't just hang it on the wall, like on a shelf. Either place it on a table, or put it 'in' the wall, it must be connected directly to the 'earth', supported by something underneath.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if u dont worship at the altar for real dont put that sh1t up

it aint for decoration
    welcome to america, it is often just a posterity thing.

ancestor worship is alien to many here and so, it has been co-opted to maintain a tradition and to extend respect through generations to founders.

there is no need to worship at all at the sun toi. just pay your respects.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

These are at the altar of my school, the Coors Light gods think highly of me!!

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Feng Shui for Kungfu Schools

We did a series of articles detailing Feng Shui for Kungfu Schools by our resident expert Wilson Sun. It not only explains proper altar feng shui, but also placement of weapons and such, all based on the cardinal direction that your door is facing. It's a series of articles that spanned four issues.

2000 March
    2000 April
    2000 May
    2000 June

We did an additional article in our 2005 January/February The Sword Collector's Special, which is also available in our ezine archive: The Feng Shui of Sword Display: A place to hang your sword by Wilson Sun (with Gigi Oh & me)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post

speaking of when do i get to worship?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Is it just me or is there something...disproportionate about the blonde?