Thread: Has anyone used a neti pot?

Has anyone used a neti pot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA

how do you do this and not choke/gag?

How to use a neti pot

also what the hell is this? Do people really do this?

http://www.jala-neti-pot.com/sutra-net/

The practitioner then takes one end of the string in each hand (with one end coming out the mouth and the other end coming out the nose), and pulls the string back and forth (imagine a flossing motion).

I saw a kid do that in elementary school once with a piece of string to get a reaction from all of us (and he did), but there's a health reason behind snorting a string up your nose and out your mouth? Really??
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

I've used them

I used to have really bad allergies. I didn't do all the flushing in one nostril and out the other - never quite got that far with it. There's a lot of crazy yogic cleansing methods but that was too advanced for me. I was just trying to clear my sinuses. It worked okay. Best done in the shower.

Even though this isn't really TCM (it's TAM - A for Asian), I'm moving it to our TCM forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I used to have really bad allergies. I didn't do all the flushing in one nostril and out the other - never quite got that far with it. There's a lot of crazy yogic cleansing methods but that was too advanced for me. I was just trying to clear my sinuses. It worked okay. Best done in the shower.

*snip*
    QFT

Neti pots can be uber messy and for a first time user...a little shocking sensation wise.

Very good for keeping sinuses clear. Keep all equipment uber clean!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I use a neti pot sometimes, because I can get serious allergies. It works, but I stopped using the saline mixture with it; I only use nearly-hot water. When you first use it, even using only water can sting/burn. Once you're used to it, it's no big deal. My neti pot never gets messy, because I wash it after each use. When you're suffering from a bad allergy day, you very quickly get over any "yuck" factor if it'll bring you relief.

Oddly enough, since I started taking a small spoonful of apple cider vinegar a couple of times a day, my allergy symptoms have lessened considerably.

uber messy

That's why I did it in the shower.

I studied yoga in an ashram in Rishikesh. The guru said we should always 'sniff a little water' when bathing. Of course, Rishikesh is the land of the most holy baths of all, as the Ganga river begins from a confluence just up the mountains from it. It's ice cold water, but pure as if it just fell from Shiva's dreadlocks.

Anyway, I snorted water for a while after that. It isn't as efficient as a neti pot, but it got the job done.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so you guys would recommend trying it?
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

sure. why not?

tell us how it goes for you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have one and I've used it a few times. But it's easier to just snuff a little water in the shower--nothing to clean that way. And it doesn't have to be a saline solution if you get comfortable with it but you have to trust your water. No allergies here but I live in a surprisingly dry climate for being right next to Cook Inlet (although it's snowing now). I find that a stream of water works much better than a nasal spray.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Instead of a messy neti-pot I use a NeilMed Sinus Rinse.

see..http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

It is easy to use, I use it every morning.

And it is inexpensive. I got mine at CVS for $10 and it comes with 50 salt packs included. You can buy another 100 saltpacks for $10.

I used to have many upper resp. problems but this has really cleared me up.
    A great product.

Greetings,

I have used the neti pot. I have a porcelain one.

Using the neti pot in the shower, for some people, can be dangerous-- especially for first timers.

Hold your head horizontal (as if you are trying to pour something into your ear) when using it, allowing the solution to go high into the sinus cavity. Once the pot has emptied bend forward until your face is parallel to the ground. From this position, take a tissue and blow out the loosened mucus. Repeat the other side. Do this a few times or as needed. Then take a steamy shower and allow the steam to help loosen any additional mucus in the sinus cavity.

By the way, breathing is done through the mouth during the treatment.

In time you will feel like you are breathing in stereo.

Good Luck

mickey