Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H.Cheung's WC Mind

I always belive that certain techniques will feel more natural to someone than others will. This is again due to differences in body type, age, size, etc.

russian martial arts

"Wing chun is a trap, too, because many practitioners get hung up thinking wing chun is the only way to fight".
    You took what Mr. Cheung said out of context from its location. Either your reading comprehension is poor, or you chose to see what you wanted to see. Coming from your signature, it is hardly surprising that this sentence caught your attention.
    I have no interest in being counselled on how I should behave by a new poster, thanks all the same.
    Further, your veiled insults are duly noted. I as well have no interest in being counselled by someone whose knowledge is possibly based on either arrogance or willful ignorance, or even a combination of the two.

T.Bowman

I mistook your lectures for a discussion for a while there.

I can't recommend your class to anyone else - a wholly unsatisfactory grasp of the subject matter, an overly verbose and turgid delivery, sounds like the lecturer enjoys the sound of his own voice a little too much.

Blather away, cultivate your fanboys, I'm gone.
    Last edited by anerlich; 04-13-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

As most know or have found out by now, there are definitely a handful of individuals who are on this (and other forums) not for the purpose of discussion but solely for self-benefit and improving on already inflated egos. At the same time there are those who are genuinely interested in sharing information and exploring differences, and for whom healthy debates are a norm. What mainly differentiates ego-based and non-ego-based debates is the tone and the presence of condescending, "know-it-all, my-way-is-the-only-correct-way, you-call-that-WingChun?" remarks. In general, people with inflated egos have a personal need to continuously have that satisfied and boosted as part of their way of preserving self-confidence and self-esteem. These people 100% RELY on responses, and especially those that allow them to boast/batter, as fuel for their ego fire. THE BEST WAY to subdue that fire and to deal with these individuals is simply to ignore them. They are not here to discuss at all, so why engage them and satisfy their needs? If these needs are not met, they will likely either back off or simply go away.

Ego-dominance threads seem to be in high numbers unfortunately. The moderators of these threads are doing a wonderful job trying to manage these while at the same time trying to be diplomatic and encourage friendly discussions amongst participants. When that fails, the thread(s) being addressed are closed... kudos to these moderators.

As a last point, not all teachers are accurately represented by either their students or those coming from their lineage necessarily, and ESPECIALLY those with their heads inflated and self convinced that they are the second coming of Yim Wing Chun. As an example, some recent, related discussion incidents involved folks from the Wong Shun Leung lineage, and even included inter-bashing amongst students from within the same lineage but from different teachers within the WSL lineage. Is this really necessary, and is there anything to gain by this? I knew WSL personally when he was alive and when I was still in Hong Kong, and I can attest to the humility and character of this individual. He is nothing like the argumentative nor egotistical person some of the "debaters" on these forusm represent themselves. In fact, WSL was (and still is) a very well respected WC practitioner amongst his peers, and his WC skills is very well regarded. The fact also is that the HKM branch to which I belong, along with nearly all other YM branches are very cordial and in good relationship with the WSL branch. I bet WSL is probably rolling over in his grave or frowning at some of the condescending "discussions" that take place here. He was always one open to sharing his skills and exchanging/exploring them with others, within the WC branch or otherwise.

Personally, I hope that those egotistical individuals will go elsewhere to fuel their fire.... I am sure there are forums out there where one "Almighty Divine Grandmaster" can debate with others alike him on who is the "Supreme Almighty Divine Grandmaster" !!! And, for the rest we can go about sharing knowledge and exploring WC and the martial art. Of course I do realize that I may have better luck winning the lottery.

After all, we must never forget...... " the martial artist makes the art, not the other way around". If you are a good natural fighter (like Bruce Lee was), you will make any martial art look good, and with the right training can be very difficult if not impossible to defeat, no matter the opponent. Conversely, if you are a bad natural fighter, you could be armed with the best martial art around, and maybe even equipped with the latest weapons (like a laser gun if that existed), and would still not be able to do squat, regardless of the training.
    Last edited by ntc; 04-15-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

I agree, I met WSL many times, a very quiet humble guy. Once while I walked silently with him alone to his ride after a dinner of raucous drinking in UK Chinatown with my old sifu , he stopped and bear hugged me, and said "train hard !". What we should all be doing in between posting here.

TRAIN HARD , keep an open mind to other ideas, stay humble, dont be afraid to question your 'sifu' about his ideas and why he does them 'his' way. Try things out and see if they work against guys who dont do VT, test, test, test. Find your mistakes with partners drilling and sparring dont look for mistakes in others to inflate your ego.

Dont be afraid to tell the 'emperor' he isnt wearing any clothes....

Quote Originally Posted by rachard1583 View Post
    I always belive that certain techniques will feel more natural to someone than others will. This is again due to differences in body type, age, size, etc.

russian martial arts

I trained my VT at a open gym with 'Systema' training going on, very cool stuff. One guy was Spetnaz, showing escapes from duct taped wrists. He would use his belt to defend against knife attacks like a bar between two hands holding the belt tight, then gain rear positions to choke out students with the belt ...while they stood up, they would fall unconscious in seconds...he would catch them as they fell.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I agree, I met WSL many times, a very quiet humble guy. Once while I walked silently with him alone to his ride after a dinner of raucous drinking in UK Chinatown with my old sifu , he stopped and bear hugged me, and said "train hard !". What we should all be doing in between posting here.

TRAIN HARD , keep an open mind to other ideas, stay humble, dont be afraid to question your 'sifu' about his ideas and why he does them 'his' way. Try things out and see if they work against guys who dont do VT, test, test, test. Find your mistakes with partners drilling and sparring dont look for mistakes in others to inflate your ego.

Dont be afraid to tell the 'emperor' he isnt wearing any clothes....
    That definitely is something he would say.... thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ntc View Post
    That definitely is something he would say.... thanks for sharing.
    first time I met him was in Paddington school of V Kan. I have a photo of me from WAyyyyy back holding a school banner when he sat for a school photo. I had only been training a short while.

Nice video.... thanks. Really brings things back to perspective.