Thread: hoping to find more FMA-arnis-escrima people here

hoping to find more FMA-arnis-escrima people here

...This is where threads about Filipino Martial Arts would be, right?
    I haven't been here in a long time, it seems odd that the oldest threads in this forum are from this year.

I live in Albuquerque, NM USA and my Modern Arnis guro is moving pretty far away. Anyone know anybody in town who teaches MA or something similar?
    I have two options I am checking out but more than anything else I would love to find a Modern Arnis group to join. FMA folks seem to keep a much lower profile than say, karate or MMA groups

Thanks in advance...
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

There's some FMA in this forum

It's a little challenging to search because of the diversity of styles. 'FMA' won't give you too much. You can also try 'filipino' as well as 'arnis', 'escrima' and 'kali'. I imagine there are other good search terms.

Got to plug MAM here - Filipino Arts Styles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have some experience in Pekiti-Tirsia, both more under the lacoste-inosanto system.
    Both have been absorbed and modified to suit the way I fight.

There are a few others here too, Ten Tigers, I think Snow dog and some others.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 04-14-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

hoping to find more FMA -arnis-escrima people here

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have some experience in Pekiti-Tirsia, both more under the lacoste-inosanto system.
    Both have been absorbed and modified to suit the way I fight.

There are a few others here too, Ten Tigers, I think Snow dog and some others.

sanjiro_ronin ,

Did you train under guro Dan Inosanto too ? Is he really a humvle man ? I think he teaches more of FMA than JKD , I think , I have his instructional DVDs , he ' s really through in his instructions on whatever he ' s teaching .

To me FMA is something similar to wing chun kung fu mainly because of the trapping or grabbing hand techniques . But sanjiro it ' s practically good to study anykind of martial arts too , then that way you have experiences of what each arts are like , instead of studying just one particular system or style .
    What made you study other systems of martial arts anyway ? Just curious ?

For me it was the late Bruce Lee that got me into it , to me it would be nice and good for me to study and research many different arts to see what they ' re like .
    So I have many ways of countering a punch or kick , strikes too .

Take Care ,
    Lance