Thread: Beng Bu - Xia ShaoLong

Beng Bu - Xia ShaoLong

I have just ordered Xia Shaolong's Beng Bu DVD from Plumpub. I will give a review of the DVD and a form comparison after I receive it.

If anyone else has this DVD, please let us know what you think of it.

Here is Plumpub's write up about it:

"Often seen as a very basic mantis set, Beng Bu can be played on more than one level. It is simple in hand techniques, compact, skillful and useable in combat. It's movements show the very spine and essence of the style. This particular version is probably not like most Beng Bu's you have seen. Considerably more complex than the typical version, it has more moves, angle changes, sweeps and hand techniques. Teacher Xia demonstrates the breakdown both in the air and on his students."
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-03-2011 at 05:21 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Couldnt find Xia Shaolong on youtube.
    What about him? Who is he what does he do?

Look forward to reading your opinion.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Couldnt find Xia Shaolong on youtube.
    What about him? Who is he what does he do?

Look forward to reading your opinion.
    K
    Kevin,

Xia ShaoLong, runs the ShaoLong Sports Club in QingDao city. He teaches Taiji Tanglangquan. He has VCDs that cover the first six roads of Zhai Yao and its combat applications, and DVDs that cover Beng Bu, Luanjie, Ba Zhou and the 7th road of Zhai Yao.

He is on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bonj...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owHtI...eature=related
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-05-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Today I received Xia Shaolong's Beng Bu DVD in the mail.

The movements closely follow Taiji Tanglangquan's version of Beng Bu.

The strongest point of the DVD is the applications. His demonstration of practical applications for each movement are done clearly and from a few different angles.

The weakest point of the DVD is the hurried manner in which the form sections are done. Though he demonstrates the movements several times, he rarely does the movements slowly. So, if you aren't familiar with the individual movements, some things will be lost.

This isn't a DVD that you should buy if you are only interested in learning the movements of a new form in a crisp, clear manner. However, the applications are representative of good mantis combat techniques done powerfully and I think most can be inspired by them.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

mooyingmantis,

are there lots of striking combinations in the beng bu dvd?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    mooyingmantis,

are there lots of striking combinations in the beng bu dvd?
    The form is broken into roads for learning. Then the roads are broken into the natural fighting combinations found within each road.
    Richard A. Tolson

mooyingmantis,

can you describe what the applications are like? are they better than the applications from the lan jie form dvd? i ask since im interested in purchasing the beng bu dvd. are the applications variations or the superficial ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas316 View Post
    mooyingmantis,

can you describe what the applications are like? are they better than the applications from the lan jie form dvd? i ask since im interested in purchasing the beng bu dvd. are the applications variations or the superficial ones?
    They are just good solid mantis techniques. Nothing mystical here. Every family of mantis I have seen is very straight forward in its applications. "Hidden techniques", in my opinion, are usually inserted into the teaching of TCMA forms by instructors who came after the actual creator of the forms. They see the technique from a different perspective and voila a "hidden technique" is discovered. But that is part of the rich mythos and politics of TCMA.

Mr. Xia demonstrates a very pragmatic approach to mantis. He is a large guy who demonstrates a lot of strength. Especially against his smaller, lighter students. His performance of the techniques is very rough and tumble.

Would I buy the DVD now after having seen it? Yes, I like watching how he issues power. I have seen this same form done by other mantis peeps and and think Mr. Xia's performance is one of the most powerful that I have seen. I wouldn't want the man pounding on me.

As I said, this is not really a DVD to purchase to learn a new form. There are better DVDs for that. However, being a big guy myself, I enjoy seeing another burly mantis player tossing others around.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-08-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Thanks for posting the vid links.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Would I buy the DVD now after having seen it? Yes, I like watching how he issues power. I have seen this same form done by other mantis peeps and and think Mr. Xia's performance is one of the most powerful that I have seen. I wouldn't want the man pounding on me.

As I said, this is not really a DVD to purchase to learn a new form. There are better DVDs for that. However, being a big guy myself, I enjoy seeing another burly mantis player tossing others around.
    Thanks for doing the review and critique. I'd like to see more posts like this.

Kevin,
    No problem, glad I could help. What did you think of the first YouTube clip? Were the applications he did for Zhai Yao San Lu typical?

MightyB,
    Thanks for the kind words! I plan on purchasing Mr. Xia's two DVD set on Taichi PM Ba Zhou and comparing/contrasting it with Mr. Sun De's DVD on the same form.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 05-05-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Kevin,
    No problem, glad I could help. What did you think of the first YouTube clip? Were the applications he did for Zhai Yao San Lu typical?
    The first technique he demos here I would approach differently.

Shifu had a saying
    wo zou wai men ni zou nei,
    bu zou wai men shi wang ran.

I take the outer gate you take the inner,
    Not to take the outer gate is to court disaster.

I have found that to usually be the case. So Master Xia seals the opponent form the inside. But what if the opponent had his two arms set on machine gun fire? Then master Xia might be in danger of a left strike to his right eye.

But, more to the point, the app he demos in the first portion of 3rd zhai yao doesnt match at all the actual solo techinique.

In other words, the solo technique is right beating palm following by another right strike, but he changes it to a left strike.
    This is a takedown, but he doesnt do the takedown combo and instead finishes with a groin kick, which is not actually in this part of the form.

And what makes it even more odd is that he says the correct names of these two techniques, the "beating elbow" followed by the "inner forearm -ge zhou"

Might as well just make up another form to fit the techniques that he demos.

So, that is about all I can sit through watching his demo techniques.
    Maybe he just didnt have a good editor to put the clips together correctly.

Kevin,
    Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated!
    Richard A. Tolson