Thread: Masculinity in the 21st century: are we in trouble?

Masculinity in the 21st century: are we in trouble?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2000...apters.reviews

It's a long read, but it sure is interesting

This is something I've been thinking about recently. Being between jobs really helps you in putting things into perspective...

So, I've come across the following job specification: blah, blah, blah, WOMEN ONLY, blah blah blah.

Wtf? It's for a office job. Why must it be a woman? The answer I received: women are more focused and mature.

I don't want to be branded a delirious mysogynist right away, so let me say that I don't harbor ill feeling towards the female gender and that I make an effort to avoid gender-based generalizations and to consider each person individualy. But the fact that there are both physical and social differences between men and women is indisputable.

It is said that, in general, men occupy more power positions and still receive better pay than women. However, I've felt, specially when I was in school, that people generally though of boys as less apt - both in academics and social skill-wise.

My brother teaches improv classes for extra $$$ and something he said the other also caught my interest: "I find it curious how most of the female students base their comedy in putting men down".

I honestly still don't have a formed opinion on the subject, so I'd like to ask you people what are your views on the state of masculinity on today's society, since most of you are older and more experienced than I am.

Some interesting tidbits...

(...)The courts and prisons bulge with men. When it comes to aggression, delinquent behaviour, risk taking and social mayhem, men win gold.

And yet, for all their behaving badly, they do not seem any the happier. Throughout North America, Europe and Australia, male suicides outnumber female by a factor of between 3 and 4 to 1. The rise in the number of young men killing themselves in much of the developed world has been rightly termed an epidemic.

(...)

(...) We have become accustomed to thinking of 'real' men as those who labour in the iron, steel and coal industries, in shipbuilding, lumberjacking, pre-mechanised farming. Our martial heroes have been almost entirely male, in the fantasies and the realities of hand-to-hand combat, of sheer physical guts, the will to survive, athletic derring-do. What price all that brute strength, might and energy now, when more people are employed making Indian curries than mining coal, when computerised robots and not sweating men assemble cars and when the male predilection for violence, far from saving national pride, threatens world survival?

(...)

Male preoccupation with their pen1ses would appear to be based on fear, right enough: not on the Freudian fear of castration, but on the Adlerian fear of ridicule. Are we up to it? ask today's men anxiously, peering at their shrivelled pen1s and analysing their social skills; are we up to competing, succeeding, achieving, conquering, controlling, asserting, pontificating, as well as getting it up?

i think both sexes have attributes that make them better suited for certain jobs... for example, i only use female lawyers... they make better lawyers than men, they have that go for the jugular protective instinct thing going on for them... absolute sharks at trial...

i only use female doctors too... more empathetic and understanding...

haha besides, if a doctor is gonna juggle your nuttz and give you a prostate exam, it may as well be a woman lol...

If you're really interested in this topic, may I recommend the book that started it all, "Iron John," by Robert Bly. (no this is not a book about iron crotch, sorry) It's a Jungian archetype study of one of the Grimm Fairy Tales. Personally, I'm much more into Bly as a poet, but this book was a bestseller, made him famous, and marked the beginning of the various 'men's movement' groups. i think it's a good place to start.

Shut up you guys, I want to be a pampered non-working househusband!

Let these women do their thing and we can all switch places.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Hell yeah. All I want to do all day is clean house in a thong and be treated like a love slave when my woman gets home from her long day at work. Is that too much to ask?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Hell yeah. All I want to do all day is clean house in a thong and be treated like a love slave when my woman gets home from her long day at work. Is that too much to ask?
    I don't look at all women as sex objects, just the pretty ones.

Seriously though, I do think certain jobs are generally better suited for men and others are generally better suited for women.

that would be fukcing awesome... i'd be a house dad in a heartbeat...

i remember when my best friend was arguing with his ex, he would come home from 10 hours work and was fully willing to share responsibility when both parents were home... but she, being the selfish c u n t that she is, figured her job was harder than his and he should share 50/50 in the evenings and give her the weekends... not 50/50... cause staying at home with a baby is harder than working... he turned to her and said the best sh1t... he said "my job is nowhere near as rewarding as staying home with our child, i'll gladly switch spots with you and not only will i honor the deal you propose but i'll give you one weekend day too." anyways, it shut her up pretty quick... theres no way she would take her fat ass to work... infact she never went back to work till 5 years later when she had no choice as a single mom...

of course shes still a c u n t and does everything she can to make it hard for him to see his child...

be careful who you have a baby with... the best thing that ever happened to you(the baby) could also trigger the worst (vindictive ex-b!tch)...