Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man of Tai Chi with Keanu Reeves

Man of Tai Chi with Keanu Reeves

Apr 5 2011 5:21 PM EDT 1,263
    Keanu Reeves Wants 'Man Of Tai Chi' To Be A 'Solid Kung Fu Movie'
    'Good story, good plot — but let's get some good kung fu going!' he tells MTV News of the film, which he plans to direct.
    By Eric Ditzian (@ericditzian) , with reporting by Josh Horowitz (@joshuahorowitz)

While Keanu Reeves pushes forward with work on "47 Ronin," his samurai- and ninja-filled revenge story, he's also trying to get another martial-arts film off the ground — and this one he wants to direct himself.

The 46-year-old actor first told us about the project at the Toronto Film Festival last fall, but when we caught up with him recently as he promoted the indie comedy "Henry's Crime," Reeves spilled some additional details.

"It's called 'Man of Tai Chi,' " he said. "We want to do it in Chinese and English, do it as kind of a co-production with CFG perhaps, which is a Chinese film group, kind of a studio. It's tricky.

"I would play the villain," he added of the story, which would be set in the modern day but pay homage to kung fu films of the past.

Though Reeves and his partners haven't yet bankrolled the production, they've got a script in place — one that will contain a ridiculous amount of fighting. "There's 18 fights. We've timed it out. It's about 40 minutes of fighting," he said. "I want to make a good, solid kung fu movie. Good story, good plot — but let's get some good kung fu going!"

While Reeves waits for financing to come together, he's gearing up to shoot "47 Ronin" in 3-D. "I call it a story of revenge and impossible love," he said. "The samurai become outcast and decide to enact revenge on the person who is responsible for the death of their lord."
    Here's our thread on 47 Ronin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Will have to see these movies! Interesting how Keanu is expanding on his "matrix" portfolio. I read where he was always on the set to watch the choreographers and stunt doubles during filming of the trilogy.

Nice. Hope it ends up being as good as we expect.

Still more excited about Rza's movie, though.

this was talked about like 3 years ago, i forgot on what forum, but we were(as in gene and myself) talking about keanu and one of yuen woo pings guys tiger, scouting locations in china. man keanu has a full slate. 47 ronin, this film, and lets not forget....BILL AND TED PART 3.

@doug

I searched Keanu and it didn't come up, at least not as an independent thread. It may be buried in some other thread, but I was in a rush yesterday so I didn't pick through what did come up...actually, that doesn't sound like something I really wanted to do - sift Keanu threads.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu now directing

How do you say "cut! woah!" in Chinese?
    Exclusive: Keanu Reeves in Financing Talks for His Directorial Debut
    By Joshua L. Weinstein at TheWrap
    Tue Aug 9, 2011 2:45pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE

Keanu Reeves is in negotiations with China Film Group and Village Roadshow Pictures to get funding for "Man of Tai Chi," a Mandarin-and-English-language movie that Reeves will star in and direct, individuals familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Reeves also wrote the martial arts film, which, if it goes forward, will mark his directorial debut.

"Tai Chi" also stars Tiger Chen, a member of the kung fu team in "The Matrix."

The "Speed" star plays the villain in the movie, which includes some serious fighting scenes.

Reeves showed off his martial arts chops in "The Matrix" films and recently finished filming "47 Ronin," Universal's adaptation of the Japanese martial arts picture.

Representatives of Reeves and Village Roadshow declined comment. Representatives of China Film Group could not be reached.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhang vs. Zhou

Posted by lizzy1 on 2011/10/11 9:00:00 (91 reads)
    News From Today
    Keanu Reeves to choose his Asian co-star

BEIJING - Keanu Reeves is set to film Man Of Tai Chi next year, but first he has to select his co-star, reports Apple Daily.

Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li and Zhou Xun are all in the running to be the lead actress of the movie, which is Reeves' directorial debut.

According to Apple Daily, it appears that Ziyi has the edge, as Reeves has previously mentioned that he was attracted to her performance in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Her command of the English language also gives her an advantage over Zhou Xun.
    I bet he was attracted to her performance...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Hu Chen

Is Tiger Hu redundant?
    Keanu Reeves’ Directorial Debut ‘Man Of Tai Chi’ Will Start Shooting At The End Of The Year

For the seven of you holding out for “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure 3”—sorry dudes.

The wheels having been turning for the past little while for Keanu Reeves’ first foray behind the camera for a little while now. Over the summer, financing was coming together and Screen Daily confirms that Village Roadshow, China Film and Wanda Group will be signing the cheques for the modestly budgeted $25 million “Man Of Tai Chi.”

Reeves will also star in the pic along with Tiger Hu Chen, one of the stuntmen on “The Matrix” films, in the English and Mandarin language movie that Reeves has been promising will kick exactly eighteen kinds of ass. “There’s 18 fights. We’ve timed it out. It’s about 40 minutes of fighting,” he told MTV earlier in the year. “I want to make a good, solid kung fu movie. Good story, good plot — but let’s get some good kung fu going!”

Of course, what that actual story is appears still be somewhat of a mystery. But Reeves will have plenty of time to answer questions about his movie he starts doing the press rounds for “47 Ronin” which opens on November 21, 2012. It seems for fans of Reeves delivering big action spectaculars, they will have a lot to look forward to.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

40 mins of fight time

Keanu Reeves To Commence Martial Arts Training With Yuen Woo Ping For MAN OF TAI CHI!
    by Hugo Ozman, November 21, 2011 6:52 AM

Keanu Reeves is currently in Hong Kong preparing and casting for his directorial debut film MAN OF TAI CHI. The film is to star Tiger Hu Chen, a key member of the MATRIX stunt team; with Reeves himself playing the villain. One of the actors Keanu is rumored to have met up with is Hong Kong actor Simon Yam Tat-Wah (IP MAN 1 & 2, ELECTION 1 & 2 and BODYGUARDS AND ASSASSINS).

A few months ago, Reeves had disclosed that the film was to include 18 fight scenes with a total fight time of around 40 minutes. To prepare for his role, Reeves will soon commence intensive martial arts training with famous action choreographer Yuen Woo Ping, who will be in charge of the action scenes in MAN OF TAI CHI. The pair previously worked together on the MATRIX Trilogy.
    Nice to know Keanu is going to train for this...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keanu's Tai Chi girl

So far, I vote for Crystal.
    Keanu Reeves busy looking for his Tai Chi girl in China
    CRI, November 23, 2011

Keanu Reeves took his time visiting Hong Kong during his work.[Photo: baidu]

The "Matrix" star Keanu Reeves is busy looking for a female lead for his Kung Fu movie "Man of Tai Chi" in Beijing and Hong Kong right now, The New Express reports.

Josie Ho, daughter of the Gambling mogul Stanley Ho, was recently spotted having a meeting with Keanu Reeves. Other big names, including "The Sorcerer and the White Snake" star Eva Hung, Mou Girl Zhou Dongyu and Crystal Liu are also on Reeves' shortlist.

Some reports have indicated that Reeves is looking for someone "not that beautiful but with the spirit of the orient."

Meanwhile, he also auditioned 10 other Hong Kong actors for cameo roles in his movie such as Bernice Liu, Ti Lung, Chow Chun-Wai and Michael Tong.

Casting auditions should be concluded before the end of 2011, according to Reeves's schedule.

With an investment of nearly 200 million RMB from Village Roadshow and the China Film Group, "Man of Tai Chi" will mark the first time for Reeves takes the helm as director. Chinese Kung Fu master Yuen Woo-Ping will choreograph the movie. Chen Hu, the Kung Fu coach for Reeves, will perform as the lead character while Reeves will play against him as a villain.

The movie will start shooting in February 2012 on the Mainland, Hong Kong and Macau.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can anyone refresh my memory, has Keanu had any formal martial training...I can totally see him as Tai Chi guy Bro. Excellent!!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

didnt he learn wing chun or something for the matrix?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Yeah, he learned movie-fu, which is useless....so i guess logically he DID learn Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/ and all it's permutations.......

Movie-fu isn't useless

It's quite useful for the movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Looses

Improves/gains companions

Wins

The balance of the fights: speculation

Man of Tai Chi is a woman--learning from her inept husband/significant other through observation. When he has to protect her she actially Drunken ish of Hunhhh? Meee? Whuuuuuh? Then he gets the credit and thoughinept begins to learn from touch what's behind the moves and gets it. then when badguys realize the earlier fights were won by the woman the guy gets dismissed as far as having Tai Chi but wave after increasing wave is used in an attempt to beat the once inept stylist--escaping from small situations person finally goes to big bad, and we find that there is an even bigger badder. It ends comically after a Humble Moral Win where They have to get groceries (running joke throughout movie)[something like]. Kick-Butt when civilally needed and morally somehow responsible but not excused fro the drudgery of everyday living--Realistic Kung-Fu for a Person of Tai Chi.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com