Thread: Kidneys

Kidneys

For many years I thought I had pain in my lower back because my exercises, weight lifting or something else. Recently I stopped all my dairy products and whey protein and mostly all my pains are gone. I am checking what I eat and I am noticing that my kidneys may have been affected by my nutrition and wanted to know if you have suggestions or readings about to aid my kidneys and how TCM may help. I guess liver and spleen may need to take care.

Thanks,

Mig

if you have serious concerns regarding your state of health vis a vis what you eat, why don't you go to a qualified TCM practitioner / nutritionist / real person who can take a good history, examine you, come up with a realistic plan of care, instead of asking for advice on an internet martial arts forum where at best you will get a bunch of general hypotheticals that may not apply to you at all from people who know what they are talking about, to at worst, where you will get a lot of dumb-asz comments from people who wish that they did...

...or you could do what hundreds of people do without the need for advanced consultation and just use the kidney and organ mushrooms - cordyceps sinensis and reishi.
    They are readily available at most health food stores now, not just Asian ones.

I have guy that spent tens of thousands and weeks at a time in the hospital - I put him on cordyceps/reishi/turkeytail mix with essiac tea. No more problems.

But the main kidney mushroom is cordyceps. Comes in capsules and is currently being studied as a way to save un-saveable kidneys.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Why do I post a common question? Because is interesting to hear comments just like yours and since this is forum about TCM I thought I would get at least a point of view as many seem to be knowledgeable about TCM. Yes, I had checked with a nutritionist and no luck, I am finding myself what my body assimilates the best and learning what foods are good for my vital organs. No, I don't take or try herbs or whatever else, I rather listen my body and so far is working better than to get a wrong diagnosis.
    Thanks anyways I will keep an eye of a comment that will make sense.

Mig

<<and wanted to know if you have suggestions or readings about to aid my kidneys and how TCM may help>>

That was a solid suggestion and if you google cordyceps and kidneys or Georges Halpern, MD it will give you a lot of hits - that is just current medicine and common sense. That you asked for info on....in the TCM forum....

Pretty amazing food:

http://www.chinesenaturalherbs.com/h..._cordyceps.htm

http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/1179...ml%2F69193.cfm

http://www.chinese-herbs.org/cordyceps/benefits.html
    Last edited by curenado; 04-10-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    Mig

It's always difficult (if not impossible) to diagnose someone via the internet, so you should seek someone out who can meet your needs in your area.

Having said that, I'll try to provide some useful info. Based on what you said, it is apparent that something is going on with your kidneys. It may be nothing, or it may be something such as chronic kidney disease (which is often asymptomatic until about 75% of the kidney function is lost). So it's a good idea to go get a blood/urine test just to be sure. More than likely though is that you are simply eating way too much protein. Protein needs are influenced by many things and also vary from person to person, so protein intake needs to be addressed on an individual basis.

Although a deficiency of dietary protein is clearly detremental, many chronic conditions can be caused or exacerbated by excess of protein, particularly animal protein. These include osteoporosis, kidney stones, chronic kidney disease, and possibly certain cancers. Most adults in Western countries consume more protein than the recomended EAR (estimated average requirement) or RDA.

In my opinion, diet is the key here. You are on the right track regarding your dietary changes, but I would take it a step further. I feel you should switch from animal protein to strictly plant protein. Because plant sources of complete protein are free from cholesterol, low in saturated fat, and provide dietary fiber and various phytochemicals, they are superior in my opinion. In addition, in my experience, they are easier on the kidneys.

Don't get me wrong, Cordyceps is great. I would take that also. I would build up to take 1 gram, three times per day.

Good luck!

Eric Hunstad, L.Ac
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hunstad View Post
    Mig

Although a deficiency of dietary protein is clearly detremental, many chronic conditions can be caused or exacerbated by excess of protein, particularly animal protein. These include osteoporosis, kidney stones, chronic kidney disease, and possibly certain cancers. Most adults in Western countries consume more protein than the recomended EAR (estimated average requirement) or RDA.

In my opinion, diet is the key here. You are on the right track regarding your dietary changes, but I would take it a step further. I feel you should switch from animal protein to strictly plant protein. Because plant sources of complete protein are free from cholesterol, low in saturated fat, and provide dietary fiber and various phytochemicals, they are superior in my opinion. In addition, in my experience, they are easier on the kidneys.

Don't get me wrong, Cordyceps is great. I would take that also. I would build up to take 1 gram, three times per day.

Good luck!

Eric Hunstad, L.Ac
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com
    Hey Eric,

You got it right and your intuition is correct. I was taking whey protein and may be not doing extreme exercise that when I stopped taking protein my problems were gone and I suspect I had kidneys imbalance. Now I am changing my diet and work more on building muscle with other proteins. Thanks a bunch.

Mig

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to win!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart