Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Rate Hung Gar As a Fighting Art?

I always thought that good Hung Kuen looked like western boxing with low kicks, some charges, some grabs and some throws.

But the hands in many respects are similar to boxing when not in open shapes like fu jow, lung jow, se sao, hok sao etc etc...

the fists, the fists....

also, bridges are always strong on a good hung kuen prac.
    forearms feel like bone and are heavy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tyson and Marciano are what HK would look like if it was applied in the boxing ring.
    Why more HK guys don't compete?
    I think that Robert MAY have hit the nail on the head on that, too many focus on form and showmanship but I would add to that with this:
    Because HK is such a powerful style I have noticed that many HK guys take their ability to fight for granted.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

personally i disagree that HK looks like western boxing. it might help to look at it from a modified shuaijiao point of view. i see a lot of shuaijiao moves in the forms with an emphasis of bridging (hard or soft) and the stances can be used offensively as well to attack the opponent's legs.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    anybody got anything other to say then spar spar spar,everyone knows this already. i have been doing martial arts almost 30 years,have been sparring my whole life. anybody use their techniques in any real fights? or have some deeper thought on the subject, man like a broken record already.
    Why? because you asked for peoples opinions on it as a fighting style and didn’t like some of the responses?

You reckon it’s the real deal because it feels so powerful and practical when you do solo work and yet have never sparred or fought with it…if you cant see the problem right there then there’s no point continuing the thread

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dude, its a thread on how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art, what kind of deep thoughts do you need?
    LOL !

And for what its worth, some of us had jobs that required using their MA in a "real fight".
    I don’t normally agree with Ronin but for once he makes some good points…..

Have been working some of the tiger applications with a partner,very interesting. One my teacher showed me, one hand is up by the side of your face and the other is down by the opposite hip. Both hands are in tiger claws. The lower had acts as a arm grab then pull,while the upper hand simultaneously does a palm strike to the opponents chin. then the lower grabbing hand releases its grip and shoots up a chop into the opponents neck. I love this application.

I find my shuai jiao training and the hung chuan i have been learning go hand and hand,and is similar to the judo way of training . In that the sparring comes by way of grappling and the nasty move are done in application [judo kata]

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    not what you do

it is how you do it

tons of hung ga movement and strategy is used all the time in real fighting, but if all you ever do is form or drills in the air, you can't apply it
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>qft
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

If you want to learn how to use your gung fu and be effective in a fight, you need to spar. Not tournament style fighting although that's better than not sparring. You need to learn intent while sparring. Good luck!

nospam
    佛家

thanks for the brain dead reply, been said like 20 times here already

thanks for the brain dead reply, been said like 20 times here already
    well if we dont judge it in sparring where would you suggest we judge it...how strong it feels during set performances?

ok no need for a message board anymore,the answer to ever topic is just spar, how about talk about strategies techniques and other training method,or there is no need for a discussion on anything, and i already mentioned three times i have been training almost 30 years in the martial arts and have sparred all those years, so to come on here and give me advice spar is f59king retarded

ok no need for a message board anymore,the answer to ever topic is just spar, how about talk about strategies techniques and other training method,or there is no need for a discussion on anything, and i already mentioned three times i have been training almost 30 years in the martial arts and have sparred all those years, so to come on here and give me advice spar is f59king retarded
    Careful with the tone.
    Fact is the thread is, as you well know, about how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art and the ONLY way to rate it is to, you guessed it- Fight.

You have to fight with it AND fight against it.

Now, that said, you do have a point about strategies and training methods.

So lets take the discussion this way:

How do you rate Hung Ga as a fighting art and WHY?
    How do you feel its strategies and training methods effective it as a fighting art? positive or negative?

Cool?

And keep that rude comments to the WC forum, we here in the southern forum are far too civilized for that kind of talk * sips tea*.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

In my area there was one Hung Gar school, came from a good lineage, instructor was very good, and from working out a few times and sparring them my rating of their system was good. Most used powerful hand and elbow combinations with low, strong kicks and worked angles well and would get inside and continue to strike and attack. The one guy was very much into iron training and would take a shot to give two, so to speak.

But again, it's just like any other style. Those that train with intent such as the school I mentioned is good. Other Hung systems more into performance and forms probably not so much. Like I said, this is with any martial arts system.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Careful with the tone.
    Fact is the thread is, as you well know, about how one rates HG as a FIGHTING art and the ONLY way to rate it is to, you guessed it- Fight.

You have to fight with it AND fight against it.

Now, that said, you do have a point about strategies and training methods.

So lets take the discussion this way:

How do you rate Hung Ga as a fighting art and WHY?
    How do you feel its strategies and training methods effective it as a fighting art? positive or negative?

Cool?

And keep that rude comments to the WC forum, we here in the southern forum are far too civilized for that kind of talk * sips tea*.

...and that's how Hung Kuen is used in a fight. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.