Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is complex and advanced necessarily better

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    a front snap kick =beginner
    front snap kick intercepting the opponent's intent and movement, shutting him down on the half-beat=advanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I can use the jab very simply
    I have a lot of "advanced" ways to use a jab
    as BP Chan used to say, it's not the "what", it's the "how"...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I don't think the "performance" has anything to do with "advance".

In the Chinese throwing art, the advance level training is to train your combo (to use one move to set up another move). Most of the time if your opponent's skill level is high, your solo move won't work. You have to borrow your opponent's force and put your hope on your 2nd move instead of your 1st move.
    Sounds like Taij....Peng/Lu/An/Ji---->Kao/Lie/Cai/Zhou

EO

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    (sarcasm)
    yeah, but what did he know about real internal
    (/sarcasm)

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Both a Beginner and an Advanced person may use a simple technique.

The more advanced you get, the more simple you are in application

The difference between them is that the advanced person does all the fundamentals ALLOT better and with experience, at the right time.

by Subitai

You get it to the bottom of the well. Your first definition of advanced is referring to the techniques themselves. And the second definition is referring to the skill level of a student. And I agree with your words whole-heartedly.

To re-confirm my view on the topic of discussion. Advanced techniques are, but complex ones are not necessary better than the simple and basic. Subitai has more or less told us why it is so.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    (sarcasm)
    yeah, but what did he know about real internal
    (/sarcasm)
    Enough to keep some of the exercises to himself, as mentioned by you some time ago.

There are advanced techniques in kung fu and their purpose is not for "decoration". The advanced and/or the more secret stuff are there to be used in real fight situations.

I agree that a lot of this has to do with the how of the techniques, but they need to be learned and practiced enough for one to able to pull them off with EASE. Otherwise, it is best to stick to the usual punch in the face approach, even if in the long term it may limit one.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." George S. Patton
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Blog Entries
    "Both a Beginner and an Advanced person may use a simple technique.

The more advanced you get, the more simple you are in application

The difference between them is that the advanced person does all the fundamentals ALLOT better and with experience, at the right time."

by Subitai

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    You get it to the bottom of the well. Your first definition of advanced is referring to the techniques themselves. And the second definition is referring to the skill level of a student. And I agree with your words whole-heartedly.

To re-confirm my view on the topic of discussion. Advanced techniques are, but complex ones are not necessary better than the simple and basic. Subitai has more or less told us why it is so.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    I had been searching for something way back and noticed this.

A couple yrs late but thanks SteveLau for reaffirming my statement.

"O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"