Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California lawmakers curious about Texas’ business benefits

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Is that 5.5% a State income tax?

Source:
    http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxe...xes-texas.aspx
    Yup. I pay the state about $4000 a year just to live here.

But, my property taxes are pretty low. About $1,300/year on a $166,000 house.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Yup. I pay the state about $4000 a year just to live here.
    Ouch!

As you have a job that isn't tied to a certain area, have you considered moving to a State that's more affordable? I believe there are 7 States with no State income tax. It's actually written into our State Constitution that we cannot have a State income tax.

Blog Entries
    I'm curious where you got that 2.3% number.
    property tax/property appraised value

One of my neighbor who built her house in the past 10 years in Austin, Texas has to pay $16,500 property tax last year. She told me that it may be cheaper for her to rent an apartment instead.

I don't mind to pay my fair share tax as long as the top 1% also pay their fair share (such as GE).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-15-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Ouch!

As you have a job that isn't tied to a certain area, have you considered moving to a State that's more affordable? I believe there are 7 States with no State income tax. It's actually written into our State Constitution that we cannot have a State income tax.
    I'd rather pay the $4,000 and not have a sh1tty college team... :-)

The cost of living is here is low, anyway. OKC regularly ranks as one of the most affordable places to live.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 04-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    I'd rather pay the state tax to live in a blue state than to live in a red state. Fortunately Austin, Tx is the blue city in a red state, but I have lived there too long (38 years).

Of course Austin has high taxes, we have a tax and spend liberal City Council.

And they have to pay other people to do their jobs! Ask your friend to look into how much they pay out of town "consultants" every year to make decisions they are elected to make. It's ridiculous. And when we had brain-dead Gus Garcia as Mayor, we often had to pay double. See, when the consultants drew conclusions he didn't agree with, he would simple hire another consultant who was more agreeable with him. Why he didn't just enact the policies he wanted in the first place and just saved the money he wasted on consultants is beyond me.

Those idiots also cancelled the "Trail of Lights" this year because of lack of funds (it costs the City $400,000). Of course right before that they announced they were giving $500,000 to support the homeless (ie bums) community here.

Considering the tax base we have in this City, a retarded monkey could run it at a surplus every year without even trying.

The cost of living is here is low, anyway. OKC regularly ranks as one of the most affordable places to live.
    Dude, you guys hired John Blake. We can't even hope to top that bonehead move.

I kinda figured it was cheaper up there in alot of other ways. Alot of people don't realize what a huge factor 'cost of living' is.