Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you turn on your toe or on your heel?

I'd turn on the heel to shift from horse to front. No part of my foot leaves the ground. It took a while to be able to do it smoothly, which probably turns alot of people off.

For those that would turn on the ball, how do you keep your back heel from moving further away from your target? You could lose a several inches of reach like that?

Stand in a front stance with your fist touching the wall, perfect stance, perfect posture. Shift into a horse stance, now shifting back into a front stance on the balls of your feet, can you still touch the wall? Are you leaning more than you did before? Try shifting back and forth several times, how far away from the wall are you now?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

You don't. It increases the range of hip rotation, which has a positive effect on reach anyway.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Shuai jiao guys spin on the heel when throwing.
    SC guys also spin on the ball of the foot. The reason is you can "hop" to adjust distance if needed. Please reference to the horizontal line (represent the ground) and foot position on all 3 pictures.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1379/heelup1.jpg
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9499/heelup2.jpg
    http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/3053/heelup4.jpg

This principle in SC is called "支(Zhi) - support" that you support both your and your opponent's body weight on your "toes" for very short amount of time.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8125/heelup5.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-22-2011 at 12:23 PM.

which makes sense in the throw, more dynamic control that way.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I was always taught to generate power from the heels.
    While this may make perfect sense to you, it's biomechanically impossible to generate power from the heels. The heel is a bone, and a fairly isolated one (I think it only has one ligament attachment). Power in TCMA (indeed pretty much all MA) is derived from the Kua (core). All sayings about power from the floor etc are really about engaging your quads and glutes to power movements.
    If driving off the heels was the best way to generate explosive power then olympic sprinters would do it.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    which makes sense in the throw, more dynamic control that way.
    Why would you not want dynamic control in your punches and kicks too? Not to mention your footwork for entering, exiting, etc.?
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    For those that would turn on the ball, how do you keep your back heel from moving further away from your target? You could lose a several inches of reach like that?
    In the past 2 days, I have tried to turn on my heel for at least a 100 times. everytime I have the feeling that my foot was "stucked" on the ground as if somone is pulling on my leg back. It's not a good feeling at all. Also I don't know how to generate power from my heel because I cannot "spring" like an olympic sprinter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74LHTEQ3EZY

Also the baseball preacher doesn't generate power from heel either.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4...owbaseball.jpg

You don't move your hell back. You just re-adjust the direction of your foot. In the following 3 short clips, we can see the turning on the toes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Q4J9HPIvs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9heeLEeir4c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqTA0M4jTdw
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    If driving off the heels was the best way to generate explosive power then olympic sprinters would do it.
    Exactly.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

While this may make perfect sense to you, it's biomechanically impossible to generate power from the heels. The heel is a bone, and a fairly isolated one (I think it only has one ligament attachment). Power in TCMA (indeed pretty much all MA) is derived from the Kua (core). All sayings about power from the floor etc are really about engaging your quads and glutes to power movements.
    Olympic sprinters don't start off of a flat surface. They start from a block that is at an angle to the direction that they want to go. Additionally, power and speed are different animals. The heel and center of the foot are more stable and allow you to generate more power from your core, rather than from your legs. I'd say that they push from both their heels, then rock forward and push from their toes as well. When you only worry about moving in one direction, you can do that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Darthlawyer; 04-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

mma fighters do it

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    Olympic sprinters don't start off of a flat surface. They start from a block that is at an angle to the direction that they want to go. Additionally, power and speed are different animals. The heel and center of the foot are more stable and allow you to generate more power from your core, rather than from your legs.
    SO much wrong with that. So what exactly are they doing for the other 98 metres????
    Pushing off the heel pretty much exclusively uses your quads, the ball of the foot activates your posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, lower back) AS WELL as your quads. Which do you think generates more power from your core?
    Power and speed are indeed different animals, but power and acceleration are the same, which is why we're discussing sprinters.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    mma fighters do it
    What MMA Gyms have you been training at????????
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

mma fighters fight flat footed mang
    everybody kno dis

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    mma fighters fight flat footed mang
    Most don't. Again, like I said, having your weight on the balls of you feet does not mean being on tiptoes. Your heel can still be down with the weight on the ball.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

if u meant that yeah mang u r rite. as long as u dont pivot all the way up u b fine