Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit

Hybrid View

Question Crossfit: Is it suitable for martial arts?

Been doing crossfit workouts as part of my workouts and find that yeah, I've lost weight that people have actually noticed, although not sure if that's more due to the increased volume recently and the pushing of myself to achieve a good time. What's people's take on crossfit? too much bodyweight exercises and not enough strength? A need to supplement with additional exercises? Not suitable for competition training? What's your thoughts please?
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Crossfit is great and probably one of the best "cookie-cutter" type programs out there.

I think Crossfit is awesome. Some of the Olympic style lifts are very technical so be careful with those. If you can handle the intensity, the Crossfit program will probably get you into the best shape of your life. They have a valuable discussion board over at their site and the Crossfit journals are worth the money too.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Crossfit is good stuff, but its limitation is that it's a 'one size fits all program'. While they have some great ideas and get you in great shape, I think it makes more sense to figure out what you need and go get it. Are you looking for mass, agility, explosiveness, anaerobic conditioning, aerobic conditioning, strength-endurance, speed-strength endurance? Where are you weak or injured? How much time are you willing to spend, what equipment do you have available? To me, it makes sense to answer these questions first, then build your program based around them, rather than do the WOD.

Andrew

Not many people have the knowledge or the inclination to gain the knowledge needed to create such a specified program. If somebody is going "cookie-cutter", crossfit is one of the best things they can do.

While they do offer the same workout for eveyone everyday, one of the things that they try to emphasize over at crossfit is scalability and modifications. They don't say or recommend that everyone should do the same amount reps or weight. Especially beginners. Most of the workouts are time based so the idea is to do what you can in a certain amount of time. The next time that specific workout rolls around you can see your progress. So it is cookie cutter but at the same time it's also personalized to your abilities.

It's pretty cool.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Crossfit

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    crap, that's ****ing awesome. I wanna join!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

i laugh every single time i watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWO81j2EyYo
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    i laugh every single time i watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWO81j2EyYo
    holy cr@p - that first move was wild - and not easy!

demonstrative of a great deal of core strength.

Still...weird. lol @ "finnish moron training"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So sayeth TIME...

There's a vid if you follow the link.

Why Tai Chi Is As Good For You As CrossFit
    Markham Heid
    10:54 AM ET

You’ve probably seen groups of people practicing tai chi in a park, so you have some idea what it's all about. Slow, mindful movements. No weights. Low intensity. The practice combines aspects of ancient Chinese medicine, philosophy and martial arts, and it's the antithesis of most modern exercise programs that emphasize fast, vigorous activity.
    Indeed, certain parts of tai chi are thousands of years old. But while tai chi may look mundane—even boring to some—experts who’ve studied it say its benefits are vast and hard to oversell.
    Tai chi is a richly researched exercise, with health improvements ranging from better blood pressure scores to a sharper mind. “We’ve seen improved immunity to viruses and improved vaccine response among people who practiced tai chi,” says Dr. Michael Irwin, a professor of behavioral sciences and director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA. During the past 15 years, Irwin has published more than a dozen studies linking tai chi to lower rates of insomnia, depression, illness and inflammation.
    It holds up when compared to other more strenuous types of exercise. “Over time, we see people who do tai chi achieve similar levels of fitness as those who walk or do other forms of physical therapy,” Irwin says. One study in the American Journal of Epidemiology concluded that tai chi was nearly as effective as jogging at lowering risk of death among men. Another review in PLOS One found that the practice may improve fitness and endurance of the heart and lungs, even for healthy adults.
    MORE: How Kickboxing Can Change Your Body and Your Life
    Part of that is due to tai chi’s soothing effects on the sympathetic nervous system (SNS), which tends to activate when a person is under stress. Much like aerobic exercise, tai chi seems to increase hormone and heart-rate measures linked with lower SNS activity, which could partly explain its ties to stronger hearts and lungs, Irwin says.
    But how could such low-intensity exercise—something that involves movements with names like “cloud hands” and “lifting a lute”—offer these kinds of fitness perks?
    “One of the most striking things we’ve found is that [tai chi’s] physiological impacts can’t be explained by its physical activity component," Irwin says. It’s the mindful, meditative quality of tai chi that makes it so compelling, and that may explain the practice’s broad benefits.
    “I think of it as meditation on wheels,” says Dr. Peter Wayne, director of research at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Harvard Medical School. (He's the author of The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi, in which he references more than 600 academic papers on the health boons of the practice.) “You’re getting all the cognitive pieces you might get from meditation—mental clarity and focus and positive thoughts and lower stress—but you’re also getting physical exercise.”
    Tai chi may also be a more approachable form of mindfulness training for those who struggle with the sit-and-breathe forms of meditation. “Directing attention to the body and pairing hand movements with balance and flexibility is easier for a lot of people than breath focus," Irwin says.
    Tai chi may be especially healthful for older or sick adults who can’t perform more vigorous forms of physical activity. Among these groups, the practice is associated with improved balance and mobility, reduced risk of falls and better reaction times, Wayne says. A study in the Journal of Rheumatology tied tai chi to reduced pain and stiffness among people who have arthritis. It may also improve kidney and heart function among people suffering from related health issues, according to another study in the Journal of Physical Therapy Science.
    But maybe the most compelling reason to give tai chi a shot is its ability to strengthen the connections between your mind and body, which can help you move through life with greater awareness and pleasure. “You might enjoy exercise more than you did before because you’re more mindful of your body,” Wayne says. “Or you may avoid injury or falls because of body awareness.”It's a rare aspect of exercise. Unlike almost every other form of physical activity, tai chi demands focus, which is central to its meditative benefits. “Even with yoga, you can do it and have your mind be somewhere else,” Irwin says. “It’s very hard to do tai chi and not be present.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

F45

I'm not much for fitness trends (obviously - I do Kung Fu ) but I read this and then saw my first F45 studio right after.

Move Over CrossFit, Here Comes F45
    The Australian fitness trend has made its way to the States.

AJ_Watt

By: Dana Angelo White, M.S., R.D., A.T.C.
    Looking for new workout program where you can feel challenged, yet carefully guided by fitness experts? The Australian-born F45 program has been gaining major popularity overseas, and is now making its way to the U.S. We spoke with Rachel Darden, owner of F45 in Fairfield, Connecticut to learn more about this hot fitness trend.

What does F45 stand for?

F45 stands for Functional 45-minutes. Our workouts focus on functional movements, movements that mimic how we move in our daily lives. We squat, we lunge, we hinge, we rotate, we push, we pull and we walk. All of our workout programs, with the exception of “Hollywood” are 45 minutes of circuit based, high-intensity interval training.

What is functional training? Who is the perfect person for a F45 workout?

Functional training is a style of training which utilizes those 7 basic movement patterns [mentioned above]. The idea behind functional training is that you should train the way you move in everyday life.

The best thing about interval training is that it allows for every fitness level to succeed. Nothing is rep based. You push yourself as hard as you can in a given time period. And everything we do can be scaled to suit the individual. I tell my clients all the time, you never have to jump with me if it isn't your thing. My goal is to find a means to keep you moving.

There are 27 different workouts featured at F45. Some are strength-focused and others are more cardio-based. What's your favorite and why?

T10 is my favorite! It is a hybrid workout that combines both cardio and strength. I love it because I can push myself to breathlessness on the cardio stations and know I can slow down and regroup at the strength stations. It is interval training at its best! If you are wearing a heart rate monitor in T10, you see a whole lot of peaks and valleys at the end, and that is the way it should be!

What classes would you recommend for beginners, and for someone more advanced? Can accommodations be made for folks with existing injuries or orthopedic issues?

Anyone who is looking to burn fat and sculpt lean muscle in a short, focused training session should come on in! Because of the circuits and unique timing of our programs, the sessions fly by. There is no wandering about the gym wondering what you should be doing. It's all taken care of for you.

Because each workout is interval based, people can come to any session and succeed. There is no beginner or expert. We all train together, listen to our bodies and do what we can in the interval. If you are new to fitness, you might just take things slower, take out some of the plyometrics, or work with your own body weight until you are ready (and able) to progress. If you are someone who is working out 5 times a week, you are likely going to focus on different things, like tempo or a greater range of motion, to turn up your effort.

We can and do work around injuries and orthopedic issues. It's so important for clients to remember, your coaches aren't mind readers! You have to let us know what is going on so we can put our education to use, and keep you safe and moving in a way that works for your body.
    Thread: Crossfit
    Thread: F45
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I am joining a crossfit gym tomorrow...

Im financially stable and doing well again so I decided to get back to the gym.

A crossfit gym opened up near my home a whole back and I've decided to sign up tomorrow. I have to do their fundamentals class and I'm hoping I can pick up on thr oly lifts quickly and get started.

I never thought I'd join crossfit, but I'm in need of a change. This keeps the thinking to a minimum and, at the very least, will get me in the door to a gym that has equipment and knowledgable people to teach me some Olympic lifting.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb