Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossfit

demonstrative of a great deal of core strength.

Still...weird. lol @ "finnish moron training"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

... meh ... fair amount of core strength might be a little more on target. unless you consider the gentleman's age. but then, if you consider his age, you should probably consider the fact that he ought not be training like a moron.
    where's my beer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOEDItADqYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv0zQ...eature=related

fad dieting and a wallet chain

go paleo brah, eat moar bison testicles
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

your links are ****in weird.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    i laugh every single time i watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWO81j2EyYo
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I am joining a crossfit gym tomorrow...

Im financially stable and doing well again so I decided to get back to the gym.

A crossfit gym opened up near my home a whole back and I've decided to sign up tomorrow. I have to do their fundamentals class and I'm hoping I can pick up on thr oly lifts quickly and get started.

I never thought I'd join crossfit, but I'm in need of a change. This keeps the thinking to a minimum and, at the very least, will get me in the door to a gym that has equipment and knowledgable people to teach me some Olympic lifting.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

caveat emptor

check the 'coaches' credentials closely. if they are ONLY 'crossfit' certified, keep your eyes wide open. just like in MA, you can have some good schools/gyms and some bad ones. there can be a lot of good from an experience at a CF gym...but also a lot of BS. (personal experience at one over 18 months or so.).

IMO, if you want OLY specific lifting, find an Oly gym. But, if there isn't one near you, the CF can be an intro to it. But, a lot of the times, the Oly lifts are truncated. As in, a clean really isn't a clean, and a jerk isn't really a jerk. It will depend on the individual 'box' and coaches. There are plenty of vids on youtube showing the proper movement to compare to what you get shown in a CF gym.

and, whatever you do: don't drink the kool aid!

that being said, the best part of my experience in CF was the other people going to the gym. I met some of the most wonderful folks I've ever had the pleasure to train with and miss many of them a great deal.

good luck.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    also, imo, CF tends to be stupidly overpriced. I've looked in to the gyms here in Kona, and it's seriously expensive for an unlimited (which is usually just 3-4 days a week) membership at close to $150 a month...and that pricing tends to be the norm in generally lower economic cost of living areas. I can't imagine what it might be in a large metro area.

oh, I do agree with the 'on ramp' beginning concept. I think (not 100% sure) that you do a 'WOD' the first day you are there, then over the ensuing weeks you learn the specifics of the movements you were trying to do the first day...and then the last class of the 'on ramp' you do the WOD again...while, OBVIOUSLY, simply due to neural pathing improvements, you are going to improve in the 6-8 weeks of the 'on ramp' class over that first day you are going 'wtf is this?' you should also be learning the core movements of the power and oly lifts as well as the core movements that seem to be standard fair in any HIIT-plyometric type program.

so, at the same time I am impressed that, from a marketing standpoint, they are taking advantage of the quick boost in improvement anyone gets from the initial 'education' of a movement (neural pathing) to sell their product...I'm sort of sceptical because: A - anyone sticking to the program till the end WILL see an improvement in their performance B - anyone quitting will be labeled as losers and weak-willed and their 'status' as such will be used to unnecessarily inflate the ego's of those who stuck with the on-ramp program...all for the sake of marketing. C - further improvements will scale back a bit and not be as immediately satisfying...but, by that time, the average person has been suckered in to the program and most likely signed some sort of contract and EFT draft.

I was lucky...lol, with being a cynical fvck to begin with, and friends with the original owner. So, I said, I'll pay you $25 a week, come as many times as I want and leave when I want.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Since crossfit is based on the "muscle confusion principle" your body n ever adapts and you always (typically) get a great workout.
    IF however you are looking to build a specific skill set or strength type then it is NOT the ideal way to go.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Since crossfit is based on the "muscle confusion principle" your body n ever adapts and you always (typically) get a great workout.
    IF however you are looking to build a specific skill set or strength type then it is NOT the ideal way to go.
    If someone is seeking to get fit, there's nothing wrong with this.
    Any additional training targeting specifics can be included.

the thing about crossfit is it gets people in shape, melts fat off of them and by doing this in any format, your perspective on life will improve, your attitude and self esteem will improve and you won't mind looking at yourself in the mirror so much.

also gents, if you wanna extend that wang a little, lose some gut fat. works great! lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If someone is seeking to get fit, there's nothing wrong with this.
    Any additional training targeting specifics can be included.

the thing about crossfit is it gets people in shape, melts fat off of them and by doing this in any format, your perspective on life will improve, your attitude and self esteem will improve and you won't mind looking at yourself in the mirror so much.

also gents, if you wanna extend that wang a little, lose some gut fat. works great! lol
    Yep, pretty much.
    Personally I find crossfit dull and I do NOT like to train two different pathways the same workout but hey, whatever gets you off the coach I guess.

Get ready for a lot of this:

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

It should be noted that when it comes to working with weights that "jack of all trades, master of none" can be very dangerous.
    There are energy and neural pathways that do NOT mix with "cardio".

I joined a CF gym a couple blocks from my office so I could workout on my lunch break. They let me join on just an open gym use membership so I don't have to take any classes. The equipment is great, plenty of racks (not on the andro chicks though - highYO), bumper plates and oly bars.

I still wouldn't be caught dead doing one of those retarded pull ups.

One thing I have noticed is that all crossfit people ever talk about about is the food they can't eat. If you've never seen grown ass men obsess about food like 12 year old girls with nascent eating disorders, James, you're in for a treat.

"Oh mah gawd, I ate two bites of ice cream last night and there was some cake I really wanted. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?