Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Fran is a mean b!tch.

i think the kipping pull up gets a lot of negative press from the 'pure' lifters...while, it may not be a 'pullup' it is, imo, a great exercise.

just looked back, my best time was just 12:22 as a 245 fat ass.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I did a heavily scaled version in 9:55. But that's with 65lb thrusters lol and banded pullups after the first round
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

that's ok. give it time. my 12:22 was after about a year in to it. it was Rx'd w/ no bands...but, any wod with pull ups or running meant slow times for me. lol, there wasn't anyone else in the gym over 200# much less approaching 250. buncha crunchies is what they are
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

So...

Crossfit is a bust. I tore my rotator cuff again. This time at work. It's slick in the cooler and I tried to catch myself like an idiot.

Oddly enough, the only thing that helped my shoulder last time was overhead pressing. I guess it makes a more stable girdle.

Either way, I'm out of liftin for a bit.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

that sucks. you sure it's torn? or just strained?

i took a heavy fall a couple months back, slipped down a mud bank and caught myself with my right hand on a fence post (my right shoulder which is the one i had repaired 8 years ago). I heard a god-awful crunch and feared the worse. But, I never felt any later pain/soreness and sorta feel i just stretched things out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    that sucks. you sure it's torn? or just strained?

i took a heavy fall a couple months back, slipped down a mud bank and caught myself with my right hand on a fence post (my right shoulder which is the one i had repaired 8 years ago). I heard a god-awful crunch and feared the worse. But, I never felt any later pain/soreness and sorta feel i just stretched things out a bit.
    Well I have abused both shoulders since I was a kid. I suspect it is a combination of rock climbing, grappling, and years of incorrect bench press technique that made them so crappy. Typically my shoulder will warn me when I'm aggravating it and a couple days of rest cure. We will see this time. It's quite painful and even goin for a run today was out of the question.

I worry that all the overhead stuff that crossfit does will make it worse, but at tr same time pressing seems to help

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    So...

Crossfit is a bust. I tore my rotator cuff again. This time at work. It's slick in the cooler and I tried to catch myself like an idiot.

Oddly enough, the only thing that helped my shoulder last time was overhead pressing. I guess it makes a more stable girdle.

Welcome to life dude, welcome to life.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

surrey to hear that, bud
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    So...

Well, you can always practice some Kung Fu then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sorry to hear that James. Hope you get it rehabbed and awesome again soon.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

So sayeth TIME...

There's a vid if you follow the link.

Why Tai Chi Is As Good For You As CrossFit
    Markham Heid
    10:54 AM ET

You’ve probably seen groups of people practicing tai chi in a park, so you have some idea what it's all about. Slow, mindful movements. No weights. Low intensity. The practice combines aspects of ancient Chinese medicine, philosophy and martial arts, and it's the antithesis of most modern exercise programs that emphasize fast, vigorous activity.
    Indeed, certain parts of tai chi are thousands of years old. But while tai chi may look mundane—even boring to some—experts who’ve studied it say its benefits are vast and hard to oversell.
    Tai chi is a richly researched exercise, with health improvements ranging from better blood pressure scores to a sharper mind. “We’ve seen improved immunity to viruses and improved vaccine response among people who practiced tai chi,” says Dr. Michael Irwin, a professor of behavioral sciences and director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA. During the past 15 years, Irwin has published more than a dozen studies linking tai chi to lower rates of insomnia, depression, illness and inflammation.
    It holds up when compared to other more strenuous types of exercise. “Over time, we see people who do tai chi achieve similar levels of fitness as those who walk or do other forms of physical therapy,” Irwin says. One study in the American Journal of Epidemiology concluded that tai chi was nearly as effective as jogging at lowering risk of death among men. Another review in PLOS One found that the practice may improve fitness and endurance of the heart and lungs, even for healthy adults.
    MORE: How Kickboxing Can Change Your Body and Your Life
    Part of that is due to tai chi’s soothing effects on the sympathetic nervous system (SNS), which tends to activate when a person is under stress. Much like aerobic exercise, tai chi seems to increase hormone and heart-rate measures linked with lower SNS activity, which could partly explain its ties to stronger hearts and lungs, Irwin says.
    But how could such low-intensity exercise—something that involves movements with names like “cloud hands” and “lifting a lute”—offer these kinds of fitness perks?
    “One of the most striking things we’ve found is that [tai chi’s] physiological impacts can’t be explained by its physical activity component," Irwin says. It’s the mindful, meditative quality of tai chi that makes it so compelling, and that may explain the practice’s broad benefits.
    “I think of it as meditation on wheels,” says Dr. Peter Wayne, director of research at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Harvard Medical School. (He's the author of The Harvard Medical School Guide to Tai Chi, in which he references more than 600 academic papers on the health boons of the practice.) “You’re getting all the cognitive pieces you might get from meditation—mental clarity and focus and positive thoughts and lower stress—but you’re also getting physical exercise.”
    Tai chi may also be a more approachable form of mindfulness training for those who struggle with the sit-and-breathe forms of meditation. “Directing attention to the body and pairing hand movements with balance and flexibility is easier for a lot of people than breath focus," Irwin says.
    Tai chi may be especially healthful for older or sick adults who can’t perform more vigorous forms of physical activity. Among these groups, the practice is associated with improved balance and mobility, reduced risk of falls and better reaction times, Wayne says. A study in the Journal of Rheumatology tied tai chi to reduced pain and stiffness among people who have arthritis. It may also improve kidney and heart function among people suffering from related health issues, according to another study in the Journal of Physical Therapy Science.
    But maybe the most compelling reason to give tai chi a shot is its ability to strengthen the connections between your mind and body, which can help you move through life with greater awareness and pleasure. “You might enjoy exercise more than you did before because you’re more mindful of your body,” Wayne says. “Or you may avoid injury or falls because of body awareness.”It's a rare aspect of exercise. Unlike almost every other form of physical activity, tai chi demands focus, which is central to its meditative benefits. “Even with yoga, you can do it and have your mind be somewhere else,” Irwin says. “It’s very hard to do tai chi and not be present.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dq

This is sort of random but I'm trying to ttt some KFT&H threads to breathe a little life back into this here subforum.

OCTOBER 3, 2017
    RICKY GARARD DISQUALIFIED
    By CrossFit

Ricky Garard has been stripped of his Games finish.

2017 Reebok CrossFit Games podium finisher Ricky Garard has been stripped of his third-place title after testing positive for banned performance-enhancing substances in a sample taken after this year’s final event.

Additionally, CrossFit has disqualified two other athletes.

Tony Turski, a 56-year-old masters athlete from Southern California who finished second in the Masters Men 55-59 Division, tested positive for Anastrozole. Fifty-two-year-old Josée Sarda of Canada East, who placed first in the Masters Women 50-54 Division, tested positive for selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs), ostarine and testolone.

Garard, a 23-year-old from Australia, will lose the US$76,000 he’d won for his third-place overall finish and his first-place finishes in the Madison Triplet and Cyclocross events. He’s also been banned from participating in any CrossFit-sanctioned event through the 2021 season, and his invitation to compete in the 2017 Reebok CrossFit Invitational has been rescinded.

With Garard’s disqualification, Patrick Vellner becomes the third-place finisher of the 2017 Games.

The sample taken from Garard at the 2017 Games tested positive for testolone, and a beta-2 agonist known as endurobol. Anabolic agents and beta-2 agonists are specifically named as banned classes of drugs in the CrossFit Games Rulebook. CrossFit incorporates its drug-testing program throughout the Games season and outside of competition. There’s no tolerance for the use of performance-enhancing drugs, or PEDs, in any CrossFit-sanctioned competition.

“The CrossFit Games have never had a top individual athlete test positive for PEDs until this case,” said General Manager of the CrossFit Games Justin Bergh. “Historically, the most frequent causes for a failed test have been masters athletes failing to read and accept our policy for hormone replacement in competition, and individual and team athletes using supplements containing banned substances not found on labels. Garard’s case does not appear to be accidental, and we take this result very seriously.”

Known as the world’s definitive test of fitness, the CrossFit Games ensure a level playing field, in part, by strongly enforcing an anti-doping policy—an absolute necessity in order to crown the Fittest on Earth. CrossFit partners with Drug Free Sport, which conducts drug analysis for the NFL, NBA, MLB and NCAA, along with 300 other sports and athletic organizations, to administer its testing program. A laboratory approved by WADA processes blood and urine samples collected from CrossFit Games athletes.

Competitors may be sanctioned for a number of infractions apart from positive test results, including tampering in any way with samples; evading, refusing or failing to submit to a drug test; or attempting to or successfully trafficking any prohibited substances or methods. CrossFit may also recognize violations, including positive tests, reported by other anti-doping organizations, such as the United States Anti-Doping Agency, in their in- and out-of-competition testing within other sports.

“The Games are an opportunity for athletes to prove their fitness through competition. The diversity of our events is part of what validates the claim that these are the fittest people on Earth,” Bergh said. “Drug testing is another important test, which ensures that the training and talent of the athletes are what determine the outcome. Garard failed to validate his performance this year and will face a four-year suspension from competition. We will closely evaluate the circumstances of his case and others, and adjust our directed testing accordingly. All athletes can be confident that CrossFit will aggressively pursue and punish anyone who attempts to use drugs to gain an advantage in competition.”

In the 2017 season, CrossFit has previously disqualified three athletes who’d won berths to the 2017 Games in both individual and team competition due to PED use. More recently, the organization disqualified five Meridian athletes—four men and one woman—who’d tested positive for PEDs in samples taken during the Regional event. None of those athletes were podium finishers but had been subjected to directed testing because of credible information CrossFit officials had obtained about possible PED use. The announcement of their disqualifications and suspensions came later in the season because of the need for supplemental testing of their samples.

CrossFit incorporates testing of all podium finishers, along with both random and directed testing in and out of the season. The sport is committed to disclosing positive drug test results and punishments in a timely manner once the investigations into the matters are complete.

“Any athlete who uses performance-enhancing drugs is directly attacking his fellow competitors, our community and our sport,” Bergh said. “It is our responsibility, along with athletes themselves, to identify those threats and remove them. As the heads of the sport, we will do our part to provide the means necessary to ensure this continues to happen.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

PED in crossfit is something that has been whispered around for a few years, I remember reading an article about it a few years back.
    Especially the women, the PED of choice for them being Anavar.
    Pretty obvious if you know anything about how steroids effect your body.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

F45

I'm not much for fitness trends (obviously - I do Kung Fu ) but I read this and then saw my first F45 studio right after.

Move Over CrossFit, Here Comes F45
    The Australian fitness trend has made its way to the States.

AJ_Watt

By: Dana Angelo White, M.S., R.D., A.T.C.
    Looking for new workout program where you can feel challenged, yet carefully guided by fitness experts? The Australian-born F45 program has been gaining major popularity overseas, and is now making its way to the U.S. We spoke with Rachel Darden, owner of F45 in Fairfield, Connecticut to learn more about this hot fitness trend.

What does F45 stand for?

F45 stands for Functional 45-minutes. Our workouts focus on functional movements, movements that mimic how we move in our daily lives. We squat, we lunge, we hinge, we rotate, we push, we pull and we walk. All of our workout programs, with the exception of “Hollywood” are 45 minutes of circuit based, high-intensity interval training.

What is functional training? Who is the perfect person for a F45 workout?

Functional training is a style of training which utilizes those 7 basic movement patterns [mentioned above]. The idea behind functional training is that you should train the way you move in everyday life.

The best thing about interval training is that it allows for every fitness level to succeed. Nothing is rep based. You push yourself as hard as you can in a given time period. And everything we do can be scaled to suit the individual. I tell my clients all the time, you never have to jump with me if it isn't your thing. My goal is to find a means to keep you moving.

There are 27 different workouts featured at F45. Some are strength-focused and others are more cardio-based. What's your favorite and why?

T10 is my favorite! It is a hybrid workout that combines both cardio and strength. I love it because I can push myself to breathlessness on the cardio stations and know I can slow down and regroup at the strength stations. It is interval training at its best! If you are wearing a heart rate monitor in T10, you see a whole lot of peaks and valleys at the end, and that is the way it should be!

What classes would you recommend for beginners, and for someone more advanced? Can accommodations be made for folks with existing injuries or orthopedic issues?

Anyone who is looking to burn fat and sculpt lean muscle in a short, focused training session should come on in! Because of the circuits and unique timing of our programs, the sessions fly by. There is no wandering about the gym wondering what you should be doing. It's all taken care of for you.

Because each workout is interval based, people can come to any session and succeed. There is no beginner or expert. We all train together, listen to our bodies and do what we can in the interval. If you are new to fitness, you might just take things slower, take out some of the plyometrics, or work with your own body weight until you are ready (and able) to progress. If you are someone who is working out 5 times a week, you are likely going to focus on different things, like tempo or a greater range of motion, to turn up your effort.

We can and do work around injuries and orthopedic issues. It's so important for clients to remember, your coaches aren't mind readers! You have to let us know what is going on so we can put our education to use, and keep you safe and moving in a way that works for your body.
    Thread: Crossfit
    Thread: F45
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

'Fittest woman on earth' wins gold medal after family tragedy

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips