Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wingchun Attachmate Dummy on Punching Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Why are you posting multiple threads with the same crap. You posted this in the Wing Chun forum already
    just simple as "sorry, I forgot".
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NgXYoypt0

The dummy is not dumb, it moves! Not easy, quite challenging for force control and you got to hit straight to not let the bag swing left or right, cool toy~
    Celestial Taoverse master needs to clean his room.

Although, I find doing Wing Chun in one's boxers really is the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Celestial Taoverse master needs to clean his room.

Although, I find doing Wing Chun in one's boxers really is the best.
    hahahaha! why not? I am so hard training, even before and after sleep!
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

FYI:

Your marketing is flawed.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

axis not fixed, no ging if you can make the 'heavy bag' stop spinning on its axis you might be on to something...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    axis not fixed, no ging if you can make the 'heavy bag' stop spinning on its axis you might be on to something...
    Doing the dummy is not about "ging" or about "power". The traditional way of doing the dummy is actually very soft and what you are hearing is only the wood banging each others when you do light contact with them. Many have thought it is to do it rough and tough, which is not right.

In GZWC, there is a saying "生樁死打, 死樁生打" Live dummy you hit it like it is dead, dead dummy, you hit it as if it is alive.

This saying means to hit a human, your hands position must be precise and you must hit it like a dead wooden dummy , so your hands do not go out of place even in a chaotic situation. When you hit the dead dummy, wooden ones, you hit like hitting a real person, and that means your body must be agile, mobile and quick in reflex, shifting stance and all that. But, the main point of doing a dummy is to bring precision to your hands techniques and not to put anger on the poor dummy. If you hit it too hard, you will hurt your hands because the dummy must be harder than your arms. It's stupid to hit hard objects with force, that is against the theory of "using less force to encounter big force" in wingchun. Wingchun is indeed a woman created style, why you think you need to have so much force and power?

In GZWC, there is a stage of practice call "磨樁", (grind the dummy) which is by doing the dummy form in a silence manner, just hands to the position and not hitting it hard. That way, you can control over your movements and have fun with boosting the accuracy and precision of your hands movements while doing the form.

If you want to use any "ging" or any "power", you can just purely hit a sand bag or a heavy bag or even a wavemaster target. Those are what it is for.

Plus, many WC practitioner haev a common problem and that is they are being way too ideal with their style saying it is "practical". It is, if you only fight WC guys, but it is not anymore when you are facing the world. I do train in WC for over 10 yrs already and I have fought various styles sifu who also teach as well. I can tell you that WC (only by itself) does have a lot of common flaws that one must be aware of.

First, the punches, people do not aware of the face that doing these wheel punches are not really useful against some styles or even arts. The problem is, hitting the dummy, hitting carvas bags and hitting the heavy bag and hitting human is different. You may feel very confident with chi sau, but many have already used 100% of their force and power in chi sau competition already, I am being honest, nobody fight in the competition with holding back any force, that is the truth. I have been in competition fighting and so I know what it is like, people are VERY nasty when it comes to getting ranked and medals. So have you notice the punches and strikes are NOT lethal?

Many WC practitioners are shocked when they actually get into a real fight because their strikes are not that ideal anymore, the power is not lethal enough and your stopping power is not great enough. Yeah, good luck with the 1-inch-punch demo with the board, I can do it too, so what? It doesn't work on the human body you know? When you do it on a heavy bag, you will know the impact and the feeling is very different.

Just IMO, but you can of course say yours. (over 10 years of WC life)

Doing the dummy is not about "ging" or about "power". The traditional way of doing the dummy is actually very soft and what you are hearing is only the wood banging each others when you do light contact with them. Many have thought it is to do it rough and tough, which is not right.

In GZWC, there is a saying "生樁死打, 死樁生打" Live dummy you hit it like it is dead, dead dummy, you hit it as if it is alive.

This saying means to hit a human, your hands position must be precise and you must hit it like a dead wooden dummy , so your hands do not go out of place even in a chaotic situation. When you hit the dead dummy, wooden ones, you hit like hitting a real person, and that means your body must be agile, mobile and quick in reflex, shifting stance and all that. But, the main point of doing a dummy is to bring precision to your hands techniques and not to put anger on the poor dummy. If you hit it too hard, you will hurt your hands because the dummy must be harder than your arms. It's stupid to hit hard objects with force, that is against the theory of "using less force to encounter big force" in wingchun. Wingchun is indeed a woman created style, why you think you need to have so much force and power?

In GZWC, there is a stage of practice call "磨樁", (grind the dummy) which is by doing the dummy form in a silence manner, just hands to the position and not hitting it hard. That way, you can control over your movements and have fun with boosting the accuracy and precision of your hands movements while doing the form.

If you want to use any "ging" or any "power", you can just purely hit a sand bag or a heavy bag or even a wavemaster target. Those are what it is for.

Plus, many WC practitioner haev a common problem and that is they are being way too ideal with their style saying it is "practical". It is, if you only fight WC guys, but it is not anymore when you are facing the world. I do train in WC for over 10 yrs already and I have fought various styles sifu who also teach as well. I can tell you that WC (only by itself) does have a lot of common flaws that one must be aware of.

First, the punches, people do not aware of the face that doing these wheel punches are not really useful against some styles or even arts. The problem is, hitting the dummy, hitting carvas bags and hitting the heavy bag and hitting human is different. You may feel very confident with chi sau, but many have already used 100% of their force and power in chi sau competition already, I am being honest, nobody fight in the competition with holding back any force, that is the truth. I have been in competition fighting and so I know what it is like, people are VERY nasty when it comes to getting ranked and medals. So have you notice the punches and strikes are NOT lethal?

Many WC practitioners are shocked when they actually get into a real fight because their strikes are not that ideal anymore, the power is not lethal enough and your stopping power is not great enough. Yeah, good luck with the 1-inch-punch demo with the board, I can do it too, so what? It doesn't work on the human body you know? When you do it on a heavy bag, you will know the impact and the feeling is very different.

thankyou for that 10 year insight

I would actually be interested to hear about who you learned your 10 years of WC from as well as the fighting experiences you have with other styles sifu. (definitely more interested in the actual fights with other style sifu's) The reason I am interested is because I wish to know from your point of view what your take of the common flaws of Wing Chun are. Please do share...

As for the "Wheel punches" being useful or not, If you are referring to the Wing Chun Punches as "Wheel Punches" I would hope you are kidding; because yes "Wheel punches" would probably get your head knocked off, while "Chain punching" would work given certain criteria, such as distance.. timing, the way you punch.....etc.

As for your comments on the Chi sao competitions, hitting the heavy bag and wall canvas bag.. um.. sorry I must say you lost me there. I really have NO idea what you were trying to say. I read that paragraph many times already and I STILL don't know what you are trying to say.

In regards to the the usage of Wing Chun in a real fight, I would like to say there are many here that would contradict what you mentioned. I think more than one or two here on this forum would tell you that their Wing Chun worked for them during their fights. If it didn't I doubt people would continue practicing.

Overall, from looking at your web page you seem like a normal person (except your take on religions and such which I won't go into, since different people have different opinions). Each to their own and since you aren't trying to convert us all, you are more than happy to follow whichever paths suits you.

However, the part that rattles me a bit is your take on Wing Chun. Your 10 years of WC would matter very little to the crowds in this forum, since a good majority of them have learned it say... um.. 20-30 years and are all able to at least mention and credit who they learned it from.

If you want to stick with forms collection and say that you learn Wing Chun as a "hobby" or as "forms trading" with other sifu's, then go ahead and stick with that. but to say that Wing Chun has a lot of common problems and this and that such as your above mentioned quote, gives me an image that it is something that you really have no clue what you are talking about. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Perhaps I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning but the things that you mention with Wing Chun is probably some of the most bizarre things i have heard up til this point.

Also your wing chun attachmate dummy on punching bag, it really defeats the purpose of the wooden dummy in the first place. You would probably do better WITHOUT the attachments.

over 10 years of WC life
    A comparative beginner compared to many on the forum, then.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by wkmark View Post
    I would actually be interested to hear about who you learned your 10 years of WC from as well as the fighting experiences you have with other styles sifu. (definitely more interested in the actual fights with other style sifu's) The reason I am interested is because I wish to know from your point of view what your take of the common flaws of Wing Chun are. Please do share...

As for the "Wheel punches" being useful or not, If you are referring to the Wing Chun Punches as "Wheel Punches" I would hope you are kidding; because yes "Wheel punches" would probably get your head knocked off, while "Chain punching" would work given certain criteria, such as distance.. timing, the way you punch.....etc.

As for your comments on the Chi sao competitions, hitting the heavy bag and wall canvas bag.. um.. sorry I must say you lost me there. I really have NO idea what you were trying to say. I read that paragraph many times already and I STILL don't know what you are trying to say.

In regards to the the usage of Wing Chun in a real fight, I would like to say there are many here that would contradict what you mentioned. I think more than one or two here on this forum would tell you that their Wing Chun worked for them during their fights. If it didn't I doubt people would continue practicing.

Overall, from looking at your web page you seem like a normal person (except your take on religions and such which I won't go into, since different people have different opinions). Each to their own and since you aren't trying to convert us all, you are more than happy to follow whichever paths suits you.

However, the part that rattles me a bit is your take on Wing Chun. Your 10 years of WC would matter very little to the crowds in this forum, since a good majority of them have learned it say... um.. 20-30 years and are all able to at least mention and credit who they learned it from.

If you want to stick with forms collection and say that you learn Wing Chun as a "hobby" or as "forms trading" with other sifu's, then go ahead and stick with that. but to say that Wing Chun has a lot of common problems and this and that such as your above mentioned quote, gives me an image that it is something that you really have no clue what you are talking about. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Perhaps I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning but the things that you mention with Wing Chun is probably some of the most bizarre things i have heard up til this point.

Also your wing chun attachmate dummy on punching bag, it really defeats the purpose of the wooden dummy in the first place. You would probably do better WITHOUT the attachments.
    Have fun with your own path then. I don't see a need of discussion here as I don't see a point at all. If you feel WC is very practical, good for you then. Enjoy it your way.